Tension Bar relocate

poor-mans-720

So, I know that the Tension bars up front have been a big issue for the 720 wheelers. I am trying to find a way to relocate them to the rear of the wheels. see if i cant get more clearance and more importantly articulation.

So this is what i got...

This is a mount that I want to relocate the bars too. it would still triangulate the lower control arm to the frame

temporary-58.jpg

temporary-55.jpg

something like this. Plan on doing something with the upper and lower control arms too. need more lift...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doing that means they won't be tension bars anymore.

The would be compression bars, and may need to be beef'd up some.

In my mind it's like spokes on a bicyle wheel, they can be thin because steel is very strong under tension.

Take a spoke from from a bicyle wheel and compress it ... it will twist and bend like a pretzel.

I have a '71 Ford F100 4x4 with coils in the front (4 inch lift too) which uses "rods" like you're talking about.

They look more like beams than rods ... see if you can find examples of your idea on other makes of trucks.

K-trip, those are radius arms. Same idea though.

I agree they would need to be a bit beefier, especially being a wheeler. You might just beef them up in the stock position and use them as sliders. :lol:

2eDeYe' date='09 March 2012 - 07:56 AM' timestamp='1331308592' post='650799']

K-trip, those are radius arms.

Of course you are correct ]2eDeYe - thank you!

If I were to replace them, that's what I would be asking for.

(my terms were more for conception - if that makes any sense)

okay, yea. I know why ya mean about the radius arms. Had them on an ol ford I had. But im just curios to if it is going to help with the ride, articulation, and lift any.

Okay gotcha on the tension, compression rod thing. Two different methods, same results.

+1 on the beefier stock ones. These bend everytime I go out. But if I make them bigger, there goes my approach angle even worse then what it is.

Guess im just trying to reinvent the front end, cause it sucks for a wheeler. Making due, till I can afford a Dana 44, and the swapmeet Is tomorrow, so tomorrow what I can do...

They are called T/C rods (tension/compression) because depending if you are braking or accelerating it is going to be putting different stresses on the rods...

Look at the T/C rod mounts on an S30 Z car. Pretty darn beefy and well tied in to the frame rail... meant for taking on HUGE braking loads.

Build the rear mount very beefy and as low as you can(geometry).. hopefully at the same height from the ground as the Lower control arm inner pivot.

• 2 weeks later...