lost all lights. need help asap

the truck is a 1985-6 nissan 720.

first off i have a wiring nightmare and need help.

i some how grounded out something and currently lost all lights. i had taillights and brake lights as well as parking but now i dont have any. ive checked all the fuses on the drivers side under the dash. any help would be awesome

this is a view of the engine bay of part of the nightmare.

429838_10151362087075037_756085036_23235715_1116636511_n.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First geta tester, test for positice coming from switch when on, at lights, fuse box. I lost all lights and markers and insturment lights except my braklights on the 510 at 1am one night out in cougar washington. no lights, dead mountain area. I had to jurry rig some extra wire toa battery source and ride my brakes so people from behind could see me. 4x4 drivers out there drive like idiots.And it was just my fusebox needed a good cleaning.

They should be attached to the Pos terminal. It should be a largish black wire going to a plastic connector with a GREEN and BLACK together and also a single GREEN wire to the side going to a red wire.

BLACK---- GREEN----- White/Black stripe----------- to ignition switch

BLACK---- BLACK------ White---------------------------- fuse box... room lamp, clock, marker lamps, stop and hazard lights...

BLACK---- GREEN----- Red------------------------------ two 10 amp fuses forheadlights in the fuse box*

Looks like it's the single GREEN fusible link that powers the two headlight fuses. The headlight fuses are the two 10 amp ones on the far right or toward the front on the fuse box. Be sure to check these are not blown first. If you have a test lamp or meter you should have voltage present at all times if it's working properly. No voltage would tell me the fusible link could be blown. Fusible links are not like regular wires and can look perfectly fine but melted under the insulation. If you make a temporary jumper you can use it to go around the link. If the headlights work then the link is bad. Make sure you replace the link with the proper rated wire. GREEN should be 40 amp.

They should be attached to the Pos terminal. It should be a largish black wire going to a plastic connector with a GREEN and BLACK together and also a single GREEN wire to the side going to a red wire.

BLACK---- BLACK------ White---------------------------- fuse box... room lamp, clock, marker lamps, stop and hazard lights...

BLACK---- GREEN----- Red------------------------------ two 10 amp fuses forheadlights in the fuse box*

Looks like it's the single GREEN fusible link that powers the two headlight fuses. The headlight fuses are the two 10 amp ones on the far right or toward the front on the fuse box. Be sure to check these are not blown first. If you have a test lamp or meter you should have voltage present at all times if it's working properly. No voltage would tell me the fusible link could be blown. Fusible links are not like regular wires and can look perfectly fine but melted under the insulation. If you make a temporary jumper you can use it to go around the link. If the headlights work then the link is bad. Make sure you replace the link with the proper rated wire. GREEN should be 40 amp.

sounds like awesome info man now i just need to get out there sunday and fool with it. if i locate said color wires and get things fixed ill owe ya a huge one man.

by the sounds of it the B-G-R WIRE AND THE B-B-W are gonna be my issues. i shall start there.

Jesus. If only you were local man, you could pay me 100 bucks and id redo some of that wiring for you that is horrendous job.

sounds crazy but id gladly pay that just so i dont have to touch it. i can do it but i hate to.

damn mike is there anything you dont know

I love to see your posts about peoples problems because you seem to have all the knowledge of all datsuns

Thanks in advance if I ever have a problem because im sure you will have a solution

Thanks Randy

I have a 720 harness in my old 620 complete with the 720 fuse box....... and some mad research skills/tools and factory service manuals.

After I posted I saw that wiring mess and shuddered. You should be able to find the red wire and work back toward the battery. The white and the white/black should be fairly thick. Damn, I'm walking away from this one :D :lol: