"Lola" the 620 (now with moar oics!)

Some inspiration, I had absolutely no plan on putting the exhaust through the bed...

I thought it might come off as being too tacky or trying to hard..... but when it came down to doing the exhaust and with the fuel cell centered in the rear, it just made more sense. But I'd like it to look proffesional when all is said and done, I'm sure this one will get hacked and re-done at some point to look a little classier like these

5101414B-DED5-4360-B660-A36433AFCEE9_zps

C21961F3-A0EC-46AE-B6F5-CCE85AE4C4AE_zps

• Like 2
  • Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading finelines turbo efi build..... I may have some new inspiration

6C9F4822-D507-47EF-8C30-F7CC8BD67130_zps

Obviously a hideous doodle, and who knows if it's something that might actually happen, but I've built weirder mechanical fuel turbo VW's and know it's within my skill set to successfully build... already dug my old intake manifold out of the junk bin to do some cutting, sourcing universal fuel rails and looking into what it's going to cost of my time and money.... damnit

• Like 2

Here's what I'm thinking;

280z efi manifold chopped up

300zx intercooler

Summit sells fuel rail blanks for $30

A small vw turbo with the internal watergate

I can build the manifold and intercooler piping

In between the blitz and the hks bov, even though I've always been a tial kind of guy

Megasquirt(megaturd) V3

And run about 5psi max until I do a tear down on the motor

• Like 2

Megasquirt is about $400 for the unnasembled kit

Intake will be about $25-$50

Fuel rail - $30

Fpr - $130

Turbo - $200

Intercooler - $50

Exhaust - $100

Injectors- five finger discount from the junk yard

So about $1000 to do it right... then it'll be rebuild time on the motor

• Like 3

The hard mount to the bed sure is nice since they rattle around a heck of a lot with only one exhaust hanger. I might consider that eventually. Although a nice trim piece of èl carbõn fibre would look swell on top of it

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ones getting built as a "stock" Ka24e swap, the other will be getting forged internals and will be built over time for a turbo motor. Not a bad score for $150, wiring harness, full felpro gasket kit, ecu. Only thing is one has a spun bearing and the other has a stuck lifter

• Like 2
  • 4 years later...

I’m pretty close to dead set on an in-line 6. Firewall reworking is not an issue. Relocating the cooling system to the bed is also a non-issue. Major fab work in general is also a non issue. I seriously doubt it’ll be anywhere as difficult as my 56’ project. But I prefer something nissan, something in the 400+ power range at a minimum. Money isn’t really an issue and more than likely there will be a tube frame made. I’m all for suggestions 😂

Edited by willz
  • Like 1

They don't make 400 hp either. I know of only a couple of attempts at this and it always ended badly for the truck. It can't be sold and it can't be put back into working condition for someone else to enjoy and ends up in the scrap yard. 

That’s honestly not a concern either. A few of the recent ideas were a Mitsubishi mightymax 4G swap, F20C from an s2000, in-line 5 from an early 90’s late 80’s Audi and a few other ridiculous things. There’s currently a 2JZ waiting to go into my 56’ but the body still needs to go down to Oregon to be dipped before I start moving any sheet metal around

Edited by willz
  • Like 1
On 11/3/2021 at 9:10 PM, datzenmike said:

The concern is that once this truck is gone it's gone for good. This is why it's paramount to start with an engine swap that has a good chance of success... such as actually fitting the engine bay.

Any of the alterations I’m considering to accommodate a larger engine can be reversed. I’ve got a factory 620 firewall sitting next to the spot welder 🤣

17 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

If money is no concern, build an L30 stroker with a diesel crank and add some boost and fuel injection.  I'm sure that could get up up there close to your build goal.

There’s an l28et nearby that I’ve been keeping an eye on. But I guess there’s a KA24e close too 🙄. I dunno, this truck is special to me and I’d like to treat it to something special 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

At that point why not an RB engine.... plenty of sizes and power options if your willing to fit an inline 6....

I had one years ago in an r32 and locating parts was extremely difficult. Not sure if that’s still true or not 

• Like 1