tension rods and bushings???

Cakebreak

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to try fitting poly swaybar bushings on my tension rods. I have seen them on another truck in that application and the 510 guys use them in that way also.

I haven't had time to check the fitment yet though.

I did mine last week- These are the universal bushings I used. They were special order at Autozone. I bought two sets @ 4.99 a set. They have a small lip on one side that i simply removed with a razor blade. They fit perfect! In my1975 Datsun Service Manual it gives the proper dimensions for the bushing assy. once tightened down, my scanner doesnt want to cooperate right now but ill try to get the detail page scanned later today and up in this thread. Here is a link to the bushings I bought-

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Energy-Suspension-2-pcs-3-8-in-i-d-x-5-8-in-nipple-x-5-8-in-thick-black-universal-tower-bayonet-end-style-shock-eye-grommet/_/N-25js?itemIdentifier=354826&_requestid=2226010

I just reread your post and saw that you have a 79' . . . your tension rods are dfferent than mine only having bushings at one end. I believe they are available through the nissan dealership, at least they were about 4 months ago when I was looking for bushings for mine . . .

So here is the detail from my 1975 Datsun Pickup Service Manual showing what the bushings should measure out to after installing and tightening. Again, this is for the 75' and I assume would probably be the same for the previous 620s as well as the 76' and 77' ?

I realize this is probably of no use to you Cakebreak and I dont mean to thread jack, but I figured I'd throw it up in case there are members with pre 78' 620s dealing with their tension rods -

tensionrod.jpg

• Like 1

I did mine last week- These are the universal bushings I used. They were special order at Autozone. I bought two sets @ 4.99 a set. They have a small lip on one side that i simply removed with a razor blade. They fit perfect! In my1975 Datsun Service Manual it gives the proper dimensions for the bushing assy. once tightened down, my scanner doesnt want to cooperate right now but ill try to get the detail page scanned later today and up in this thread. Here is a link to the bushings I bought-

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Energy-Suspension-2-pcs-3-8-in-i-d-x-5-8-in-nipple-x-5-8-in-thick-black-universal-tower-bayonet-end-style-shock-eye-grommet/_/N-25js?itemIdentifier=354826&_requestid=2226010

Did you use any metal sleever inside?

Thank you everyone for all of your replies! I'm about to go and check out the local datsun shop and see if i can get them today from there.

Rockauto list them, i just checked, but i cant seem to get it linked to here for you.

This is the rockauto search i followed.

Start-Nissan-1979-620pickup-suspension-strut mount=ACdelco Part #45g25006. $11.38 for the kit.

Is that just the bushings or the rods as well?

And Redeye i have heard that using poly bushing on the TC rods will break the TC rods... im assuming that this is not true?

That appears to be four bushings.

I have been using poly bushings on the tc rods of my 76 for six years now, have not broke a TC rod yet, and i have not heard of a 620 TC rod breaking from poly bushins. However, i am very aware that this is a problem with the TC rods in a 510.

Thank you everyone for all of your replies! I'm about to go and check out the local datsun shop and see if i can get them today from there.

And Redeye i have heard that using poly bushing on the TC rods will break the TC rods... im assuming that this is not true?

Local Datsun shop? Where are you located? I ordered mine from Summit Racing, they are universal bushings and not Datsun specific.

Just the bushings like yellow620 said, also that is the 510's that have the problem with breaking, again yellow620 is on point. :)

• Like 1
2eDeYe' date='07 March 2012 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1331139426' post='649466']

Local Datsun shop? Where are you located? I ordered mine from Summit Racing, they are universal bushings and not Datsun specific.

Just the bushings like yellow620 said, also that is the 510's that have the problem with breaking, again yellow620 is on point. :)

I'm in Bothell, the shop is called Z Specialties in Clearview on Highway 9 they have a lot of about 50 S30 z's and a few zx's as well, he does seem to charge a bit for his parts though. Looks like i will be putting some poly bushings on my TC rods :D

I'm confused here. I know 79 tension rod are different but would it be possible to use the universal Sway bar end-link bushings without the metal sleeve that goes inside the bushing?

Yessir! Just gotta make sure that if they're poly bushings to drill holes in them so they can flex.

I'm confused here. I know 79 tension rod are different but would it be possible to use the universal Sway bar end-link bushings without the metal sleeve that goes inside the bushing?

The factory designed the later models to have a sleeve in there. I would not consider removing the sleeves on my truck. But i do know that some other vehicles share a similar design and they do not use a sleeve.

By sway bar end link bushings do you mean using ones of which there are four per side, which mount in conjunction with a long bolt and spaces that connects to the sway bar? It seems to me that those are much smaller than the tension rod bushings, keeping in mind I have a 73, maybe its different, that's beyond my knowlege, but the seem smaller.