l20b project. need help

so i am supposed to be picking up an L20b for my dime in about two weeks. i've heard a lot about swapping L16 heads onto them for better highend power. not sure exactly though the specs of the modifications, or the engine when it's done. any modifications in mounting or timing of the engine i'll need to do?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The L20B works best with an L20B head. A stock 510 L16 head has small valves and ports and a weaker cam. Even if you could find one of the 219 SSS heads, any P-nut L20B head can be converted to it by opening the intake ports to 1.5". The L20B head cam has the same specs as the SSS cam on the L16, actually a very small extra lift.

How much money you got to spend.

Im always for putting in Cams and carbs.

schneider

Isky

Webcamshaft

all make reasonable lift cams

but youll need new Rockers(Mr-auto-parts.com)

springs,lash pads, retainers

you can get this from the website from where you order the cam or get Nissanmotorsport ones if you have the part # if you know what size you need.

the620.com has some info on there or find a Motorsport book for part #s

if you have NO MONEY, just PORT everything OUT and get a eleltronic ignition if you dont have one already and call it good

i'm wanting to get the absolute most out of building this thing.

How much do you want to spend, cause you can be into this for thousands of dollars. I would leave the bottom end stock, its bulletproof enough. You will need pistons and rings though if your boring it out. Head work is spendy and you can do allot to them. Try getting a close chamber head, preferably with 1.5" intake holes. Then you can port and polish and gasket match. Put larger and better valves in. New seats. Do a cam, you don't have to buy one if you can have it reground. Better springs, and new misc pieces like lash pads and rocker arms...etc. Do ARP hardware. That what I have done in the past and seems to work good. On top of that you will need to keep it breathing with some good exhaust. A decent ignition system with good plugs and wires will also help. Remember to do a good intake and carbs....see how this is a never ending story:lol::lol:

If it were me I would try to find a 80 or 81 pickup with a Z22. All you would need is the bottom end including block. Then bore to fit KA pistons in it...and dont tell me it cant be done and run all day long for years....:lol::lol: