Fender to body seal

What are you body guys using to replace the seal between the fender and the fender well where the fenter bolts up on top? The old seal is pretty hammered and I don't want to just bolt the fender on without a seal there.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must have pulled thirty or forty fenders only to find that 'gasket thing' in pieces or completely disintegrated.

My solution was to cut a strip of polyvinyl sheeting that they use for tile shower pans. I applied it with contact cement. It replaced the stock plastic pieces that isolated the fender from the wheel wells. You can buy it by the foot at home depot or any plumbing supplier. Because I am OG Ratsun... I got mine out of a dumpster on a construction site.

f12ce69a.jpg

I cut them a little big so that I can slip the fender on and it will bend the gasket over sealing the joint at the top of the wheel well.

5dae833b.jpg

I applied some stick on noeprene foam insulation to replace what was on there. This will keep the fender from rattling agianst the cab. Notice after I primed and shot one coat of paint... I hosed on rubberized undercoat.

029100c0.jpg

When I finally got my truck all back together and drove it for the first time, I went over speed bums on our street and the truck went thump... like it was all in one piece... not creak sqeek click blam rattle. The only other tip I have is to put grease or anti-seize compound on the bolts so if you ever have to pop the fenders off it will help. Specially the bolt that fastens at the bottom of the fender where water draining from the plenum tends to freeze them in rust.

66b62d56.jpg