Automatic Transmission & Clicking sound on the dash

Sierra

Hello Ratsun clan I have a 1978 B210 with a automatic transmission and every time that the transmission changes gears from first to second I hear a clicking sound on the left side of the dashboard.

Anyone knows what is doing this?

I also notice what when the clicking sound happens that change in gear is not as smooth as it suppose to.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a smooth ass guess but.....does your speedo needle jump or fluxuate at the same time? Only thing I can think of that moves in the dash is the speedo cable. Lots more folks on here smarter than I am...hopefully they will chime in.

First check the automatic fluid level with the engine warm.

Is the fluid clear see through and bright RED ?

Autos need to be checked every three months or so to detect problems early and avoid problems. Probably not the automatic but you mention the shift quality. Let me know about the fluid.

If everything checks out have you tried the swift fist slam? I've had all sorts of clicks rattles and buzzes come from different parts of the dash or shifter especially the trans is winding hard or can't find a gear but usually a couple pounds And a slap make it quit making noises. But listen to above posts first it's probably not just loose ratley bits ticking but something else.

I have the same car and the only clicking that happens on mine is the kick down switch. Its at the top of the gas pedal. There aren't any other electronics in the transfer shifting wise.

I do get a berp while moving the shifter through the gears and I think its maybe a relay for reverse lights. Not positive there is one, just seems like that's when it happens.

As far as your noise goes, look at the kick kickdown circut and make sure its not going crazy and causing the trans to stay in gear or something odd like that. It could be shorted or not adjusted properly.

So I created a video to help me explain the clicking sound that I hear everytime that my transmission changes gears.

The clicking sound comes from the right side of the dashmaybe the speedometer. Don’t know.

You can hear the clicking at the beginning of the video and at the end.

The clicking happens when I press the gas kinda hard and the revolutions happen in a shorter amount of time. When I accelerate slowly there is no clicking.

To me it sound like a relay turning it self on and off but I dont know of a relay that talks to the transmission.

Hope you guys can help me figure this one out.

Link of video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ-XDha2iLs&feature=youtu.be

@ datzenmike: the level is good and it has a good red color.

@ Kisor: Where is the kick down circuit?

I just made a video in response... Its photobucket so I couldn't embed.

Its the "kickdown" switch. Sounds like either you are pumping the pedal or it needs adjusted a little bit to stay engaged.

Your transmission has an electric circuit that makes it downshift when you apply full throttle. Most other transmissions used either cables or rods to achieve this.

Issues I have had on my car with this are:

I did some carb work and when securing the throttle cable to the carb got it "too short" and the carb was at full throttle but my pedal wasn't to the actual switch yet. My trans would not downshift other than by the vacuum modulator. Adjusting the cable solved this.

The "kickdown" switch stuck engaged and the trans thought I wanted to go 7000rpm everywhere that day. clicked it with my finger and has been fine ever since.

th_2012-03-09_21-57-15_30.jpg

You want this to "click" right at full throttle. This will enable the trans to downshift for passing on the highway or taking off quickly into traffic. Too soon in the stroke of the pedal will be annoying and make it sound like you are an ass in traffic revving your engine at everyone...lol. Too late or not at all will make it slower than it already is.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank Kisor for the video and his feedback. It turns out that the accelerator cable was too lose, and the accelerator pedal was activating the "kickdown" switch way too early. I adjusted the cable and now my B210 works like a charm. Kisor you kick ass!!!

• 4 years later...

I just made a video in response... Its photobucket so I couldn't embed.

Its the "kickdown" switch. Sounds like either you are pumping the pedal or it needs adjusted a little bit to stay engaged.

Your transmission has an electric circuit that makes it downshift when you apply full throttle. Most other transmissions used either cables or rods to achieve this.

Issues I have had on my car with this are:

I did some carb work and when securing the throttle cable to the carb got it "too short" and the carb was at full throttle but my pedal wasn't to the actual switch yet. My trans would not downshift other than by the vacuum modulator. Adjusting the cable solved this.

The "kickdown" switch stuck engaged and the trans thought I wanted to go 7000rpm everywhere that day. clicked it with my finger and has been fine ever since.

th_2012-03-09_21-57-15_30.jpg

You want this to "click" right at full throttle. This will enable the trans to downshift for passing on the highway or taking off quickly into traffic. Too soon in the stroke of the pedal will be annoying and make it sound like you are an ass in traffic revving your engine at everyone...lol. Too late or not at all will make it slower than it already is.

I want to thank Kisor for the video and his feedback. It turns out that the accelerator cable was too lose, and the accelerator pedal was activating the "kickdown" switch way too early. I adjusted the cable and now my B210 works like a charm. Kisor you kick ass!!!

How do you adjust the tension in the throttle cable?  Mine is loose as well.