finally time to do some much needed repairs

Skulptr

tax return finally came in, time to get to work.

electric fan conversion:

i already ordered an electric fan and radiator probe kit, got a 14" sblade fan thats 3" deep, by my measurements will fit if i just take the blades off the stock fan and leave the clutch attached. the probe kit showed up already. i spent a total of $19 on the fan with free shipping, and 23 for the probe kit, from summit racing.

lift kit:

still torn between the body lift, uca spacers, or uca lift arms. waiting on everything to go through the bank before i make my decision.

power steering repair:

so my power steering pump went out, i think largely due to there being many types of fluid running through it. does anyone know how, if there is a way, to flush all the fluid from the system so i can start off mostly with one single fluid type.

temp guage woes:

i dont know why my temp guage doesnt work. the guage cluster is from my old 86 and the temp guage worked in that truck. the engine, is also from my old 86, and the sender unit worked in ithe other truck. so i'm stuck with wire chasing to find a break in the wires, or use this aftermarket temp guage i have hanging out. with that i'm wondering, can i use the stock sender to trigger the aftermarket guage? theres 2 contacts on the sender, and i'm not sure which is which.

oil pressure guage:

finally got my 2 prong pressure sender from rockauto for 12 bucks. will have my pressure guage for the first time since i found it in the JY back in august.

dull interior light replacement:

i did this a few weeks ago. i found 48 led panels on ebay for 2 bucks, with adaptors. it just plugs right in place of the stock bulb and sits inside the lens housing. the light inside my truck is now so bright i can find pretty much anything i need. pics to come for that. it was a well invested 2 bucks, i even went back and bought 2 more for my other car.

weber repair:

found a few things wrong with my 32/36. the idle jet was smashed up inside the cutoff solenoid, not to mention the cut off solenoid was going out. i already got the new soleniod, but the idle jet didnt come with it like it was supposed to. waiting on that, and hopefully it will help my weber. right now, it idles cold at 300, and 700-900 warm.

headlight conversion:

going to buy the cheapo projector headlights on ebay, see if they are worth the 22 bucks, they come with the wiring harness to convert to h3 bulbs.

and after all that, time for a fluid change. the tranny was fine from when i did it a few months ago in the other truck, but i have never checked the tcase, diffs, or any of the grease points on this one.

pics will come as things get done. any help with the power steering drain would be helpful. i've considered taking off the outlet side of the pump and just letting it run, the bearings are shot anyway, but i dont know which hose is the outlet.

also trying to find a replacement black steering wheel, mine is broken in 2 places, and catches my skin while turning, the gaps are almost an inch wide.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

@ poorman: I like it. That sounds like my style fab work. Got any pics? I would be interested in seeing them.

@ skulptr: let me know how that electric fan conversion goes. I was working on a retrofit one, but the junkyard wanted way too much for electric fan assemblies. I did discover that G20 fans fit perfectly between the top and bottom rails of our radiators though. That is what I was going to use. I planned on triggering the fan with the fan switch out of a honda. Since I removed a ton of vacuum stuff, there is a useless temp controlled vacuum switch sticking out of my intake manifold. I figured I would simply replace that with the temp sensor, wire in a relay, and then my fan. Maybe eventually. I want to know if you actually notice a power or fuel difference, or if it's just a noise difference or what.

And if it's any use, according to Jim Inglese, Webers tend to perform better when set to Idle around 600 to 700 rpm.

If I was not so broke or so cheap I would love to buy a set of those projector retrofit headlights, then take them apart and install true nice HID projectors and throw a DDM tuning HID kit into bi-otch. Super sweet lighting, I think so.

here's how my list looks since i posted this:

fan conversion - done

lift kit - torsion bars reindexed, body lift and uca spacers to follow

temp guage - done

oil pressure guage - done

dull interior light - done (will post pics if wanted. i get compliments on it all the time from everyone!)

weber repair - still need a new idle jet and filter housing

headlight conversion - put off til i'm rich again

i used the stock light housing, and replaced the bulb with a plug n play led panel.

ps, i have an extra light housing :poke:

ORLY???

What do you want for it? been dying to get one in my truck... only 720 I found round here had a fire inside.... interior accessorys all useless.