Olivia - 69 2 door 510 sedan - fully built CA18DET

Engine: Ca18det

Cams: 260 duration / 8.8mm lift for intake and exhaust with adjustable sprockets

Valvetrain: Stainless intake / Nickel exhaust valves. All new valvetrain components (hydraulic lifters, valve seals, etc)

Block: Bored to 83.5mm

Head: 3 angle valve job

Pistons: CP 83.5mm 8.5:1 compression

Connecting Rods: Pauter

Turbo: GTX3071R

Fuel pump: Walbro 255lph

Engine management: Haltech PS1000

Injectors: 1000cc

Flywheel: Possibly a TODA? lightweight flywheel of unknown origin/construction... feels like aluminum

Wheels: Rota Grid-V 15X8 +0 offset

Suspension:

DP coilovers front and rear with koni inserts and 300# springs

DP camber/caster plates

T3 tie rods

Brakes: Willwood 4 piston calipers up front with 11" rotors. Single piston calipers in back. Stainless lines throughout with a 7/8 master cylinder

TODO:

• Purchase new suspension bushings
  • Sway bar?
  • Wire windshield wipers
  • Need the top of the dash... if someone has one or knows how to get one, lemme know
  • Sand, primer and paint the rear fenders,
This is how I bought the car. There is a lot of terrible welding and the tunnel was cut to install the v8.

1.jpg

Here it is now

923470_10200463885151256_1788681381_n.jp

A picture of the V8, its a buick 215 (all aluminum but only 200hp)

2.jpg

I made a mistake.... shocks/brakes were terrible and I couldn't avoid the honda... :(

3.jpg

Pulling the V8

4.jpg

The ca18det i purchased (in pieces) ready to be freshened up

5.jpg

The previous owner somehow managed to snap the camshaft... still no idea how this happened.... i was surprised to say the least when I was taking it apart.

6.jpg

Making my own valve spring compressor because they don't make the one you need for the CA18 anymore

7.jpg

YES! CA18 is IN! (P.S. I'm not the tard that cut the core support to install a radiator)

8.jpg

From the front!

9.jpg

Ohhh yeah, turbo clearance is a HUGE issue...

10.jpg

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the old crossmemeber... My welder got about 3 quarts of oil dumped on it, so it was toast... decided not to flip and buy something off ebay. 11.jpg

The crossmember I bought off ebay. I'd just like to point out that although these LOOK like they put the motor in the correct spot, they don't. It's too far tilted to the driver side. You can see if you look at the crossmember above that the motor will sit more flat if you use the flipped stock crossmember (and it costs less). Hope this tip helps someone else.

12.jpg

Installed!

13.jpg

This is how it sits just dropped in. Theres plenty of clearance. The biggest hurdle I personally faced, is where the turbo sits. I had a bottom mount manifold, I dropped it off to get flipped. I forgot this would invert the turbo..... to fix this, I had to rotate the turbo cartridge... which sucked!

14.jpg

The radiator I purchased from ebay. Seems to be of decent quality... some day I may pick up something better. I just miss driving the car so I want it running

15.jpg

Some Rota grid-v's I picked up. 15x8 +0 in gunmetal

16.jpg

Radiator installed, started routing hoses and brought out the wheels to start mounting

17.jpg

Side view. NOTE: I didn't cut the core support, previous owner did.... DICKHEAD!

18.jpg

Shot of the valve cover. Previous owner of the engine did this... i kinda like it... it's pretty subtle, it was hard to even get this shot, LOL

19.jpg

This is more than likely what I will put and keep on the motor. Same finish in purple.

20.jpg

Ahhhhhh yes... the joys of wiring an ECU

21.jpg

Mishimoto intercooler

22.jpg

Mocked up

24.jpg

Got my tires mounted! Dunlop Direzza 205/50/15! Some mild stretch...

25.jpg

Sard fuel pressure regulator, some lines and fittings and a walbro 255lph fuel pump

26.jpg

Front end with the wheels installed

27.jpg

Back with wheels installed.... need to roll the fenders... any tips?

28.jpg

FPR mocked up

29.jpg

Muh baby :)

30.jpg

Two other heads I have in the trunk. The person who I bought the car from was running the car on a 24v marine battery.... ?????31.jpg

Walbro fuel pump being installed

32.jpg

Dash being taken out and wiring being done. Anyone have hookups on a clean dash?

33.jpg

Everytning mocked up together... starting to get sexy....

34.jpg

Clutch Master/Slave cylinder

35.jpg

Test fitted... Need to make some holes so I can bolt it up

36.jpg

Turbo has been clocked (finally)

37.jpg

quick test run of where the IC piping will go. Needed some additional elbows, so I ordered those.

38.jpg

The new wiring harness, which I had to install. Pretty straightforward if you ask me... i really liked installing it!

39.jpg

In the process of installing new harness

40.jpg

The new license plate! ^.^

41.jpg

After the install of cams, valves, etc.... That is NOT obama in the background, even though it looks like him... but he can hook your grandma up with a reverse mortgage if she needs one :P42.jpg

All the crap I bought from a guy off zilvia.net.

43.jpg

The completed head!

44.jpg

Installing valve keepers... which was a pain in the ass!

45.jpg

completed head prior to install

46.jpg

All the goodies I installed into the head. There was a rad underneath, i didn't set it directly on the floor BTW

47.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. I must have written and re-written the text about 20 times, because i would be adding pictures and hit backspace, which was going back a page in the browser... kept causing me to re-start. I'll correct it. I've spent a lot of time on ratsun, just never had anything to add, so I never joined, just searched and read.

I measured my driveshaft. I need something 41" diff to trans. Any thoughts? Couldn't find a writeup about driveshafts and lengths.

I was putting new pictures up but they're all upside down... so I gotta wait to do that until i get to work.

MOAR OICS!!!!!!

I also cleaned and prepped the interior of the car with anti-rust paint. Probably throw some pictures up later.. it's just primer grey... not that impressive.

What am I purchasing tomorrow?

Coilovers

Haltech Platinum 1000

Wilwood brakes

I'm considering switching to a smaller t3 turbo but may wait. It really depends on how much money I have left after this sprint of buying.

Ran majority of wiring (since this pic, the cabin is all wired up with the brand new harness)

48.jpg

Picked up a new steering wheel

49.jpg

Picked up a dry cell battery.... fuck o'reilly in LB on spring. They sold me an incorrectly relabeled battery, didn't enter my waranty info so I couldn't exchange it for a good battery. Bought this instead.

51.jpg

Intercooler with piping... waiting for my BOV so I can install the rest

52.jpg

How the car sits now (wiring in front left is unused)

53.jpg

I picked 8 inch with 0 offset because i like the stance and was planning bubble flares from the get go. I've had 7 in in the past and although they're adequate I wanted to do the car exactly how I would have liked to with my other two (restricted by money because I was way younger).

The crossmember does suck ass and I'll probably swap it out.

I'd head out to the IE for a meet... theres a small track (adams motorsports park) which holds events thursdays i want to hit up... maybe i'll see you out there

Thanks fisch!

Picked up a Greddy Type-RS blow off valve, t3-50 trim, turbo manifold, external wastegate, haltech platinum sports 1000, 3 bar map sensor, troy-ermish coilovers (front and rear with koni shocks) and wilwood brake kit. Soooo..... i should have plenty of picks this next week! My GF will be gone next week so I'll have time to install all the goodies :D

Any tips on someone who lives in socal with welding experience who would be down to help me put together a transmission mount? I can throw some cash your way of course.

I'll be out of town, but when i get back on Monday... i'm installing this :D

t3 50 trim with a .48AR....

38mm wastegate

top mount turbo manifold.. (FINALLY)

haltech should be here in a week... going to ship the suspension out today if I can ditch work early. I think the brakes will be here towards the end of the week as well

54.jpg

It's been raining so I haven't made a ton of progress. I did get a few more parts back though. Here is my progress over the weekend. I'll have more parts later today so I should be able to throw them on Wednesday. Also, theres a local suspension guy (I think the shop is called DG Industries) who makes all the suspension for 510s... apparently even troy ermish rebrands his stuff. Sounds like his business might be in trouble... if you have suspension needs, hit him up! He specializes in 510 stuff and been in the scene forever from what I understand.

The new driveshaft :)

428177_3226011660765_1580744555_2629781_1587768734_n.jpg

Turbo is clocked, got my silicone elbow and put the greddy blow off valve on!

419807_3226015460860_1580744555_2629782_171620525_n.jpg

Most recent engine oic.

425961_3226017820919_1580744555_2629784_441750003_n.jpg

It's raining.. so I can't work on the car... LAME... I put the haltech in but it seems like either the PNP harness or the wiring harness that came with the engine isn't actually a ca18det harness because it doesn't turn on. The blitz ecu does though, so I sent some info to haltech.. hoping to hear back in a few days so I can continue work. Should have coilovers and brakes this week... so I'll have even MOAR pictures this week.

Got intercooler piping sized up/cut.

555310_3243435576352_1580744555_2638059_1941530077_n.jpg

Driveshaft installed

534691_3245218940935_1580744555_2638722_2011296099_n.jpg

How it sits now

533640_3260157274384_1580744555_2643717_933688746_n.jpg