TENDRIL's 67' pantydropping, black cherry pearl popping 520 now with Turbo DOHC, body drop, and 4-link with bags or coilovers not sure, maybe both

TENDRIL

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oic dump of progress ... have about 12-15 hrs total so far with welding sanding hammering and bondo and motor cleaning 

DSC_0628.jpgDSC_0627.jpgDSC_0626.jpg

DSC_0625.jpg

fenders need a little bit of bondo work and should be ready for primer 

DSC_0618.jpg   DSC_0617.jpgDSC_0612.jpgDSC_0607.jpgDSC_0609.jpgDSC_0604.jpg

DSC_0605.jpg

and the motor cleaned up, there was about a 1/2 in. of sludge all around the back side from a bad valve cover gasket 

DSC_0620.jpgDSC_0621.jpgDSC_0622.jpgDSC_0623.jpgDSC_0624.jpg

• Like 1

thanks lol its kind of a budget drink with me trying to get this truck to caNdy..

im just gland im getting hours in on this thing, working full time is a bit of a hinder on my truck but i told my GF and my self i will put at least 5 hrs a weekend into it  until june and hopefully will have it together before canby

• Like 2

You cannot weld datsun sheet metal, it will either blow through or warp.

Look how they(datsun) put these trucks together, they did not weld them, they spot welded them, your not going to find any real welding except on the frames.

This is the only way your going to be able to weld sheet metal without issues, I put almost a whole kingcab together this way, and I have not had any issues with the welds.

DSCN0105.jpg

BTW, I did all my welding on my 521 kingcab with a shit harbor freight mig welder, did not even use a helmet on over half of it, I just aimed, closed my eyes, pulled the trigger for a second and moved ahead 4 inches, and repeated it over and over thousands of times.

so with all those spot welds did you grind them smooth? and fill the spaces with bondo?

Yes they were ground smooth by me, and then filled with bondo and painted by someone else, as I hate paint prep work, I have no patients for it, but I am trying to do the 520 project, that is why it is stalled right now.

DSCN0303.jpg

DSCN0304.jpg
I did do some of the prep work, as you can see in this photo below, but I got tired of having to redo it over and over, so I sent it out.
DSCN0223.jpg
  • Like 1
You cannot weld datsun sheet metal, it will either blow through or warp.

Look how they(datsun) put these trucks together, they did not weld them, they spot welded them, your not going to find any real welding except on the frames.

This is the only way your going to be able to weld sheet metal without issues, I put almost a whole kingcab together this way, and I have not had any issues with the welds.

DSCN0105.jpg

BTW, I did all my welding on my 521 kingcab with a shit harbor freight mig welder, did not even use a helmet on over half of it, I just aimed, closed my eyes, pulled the trigger for a second and moved ahead 4 inches, and repeated it over and over thousands of times.

i have a sun burn today from using this technique with my shock towers last night...... not adviseable and my eyelids are sun burned..lol

i have a subn brn today from using this technique with my shock towers last night...... no adviseable and my eyelids are sun burned..lol

I wasn't using gas, so I would lay the gas shield on the metal, aim and pull the trigger for a second, the gas shield blocked most the light.

Any other way would take forever spot welding sheet metal, and it's easy to aim if you can actually see.

If I weld anything, I use a helmet, like a shock tower, that needs to be welded, not spot welded, but thick metal like that won't warp or blow holes like trying to weld sheet metal, especially 40+ year old sheet metal.

No mask eh!?

no the mask was laying on the welder,  auto darkening too......just to much tough guy...not enough womanly common sense ...

i use alot of waynos technique though too .. i use the shielding nozzle to block the light too....still not advisable ... and if my wife saw me i woulda got the laundry basket thrown across the garage at me ... but she was at work...yeah.,...let the dumbness ensue

I just wasn't sure if you could fill gaps like that with bondo

pretty sure that was the first pass......the idea is no gaps.....

and i  only use the no helmet technique for tacking,  my brackets were all modular .. so there was a good 20 tacks per side... the few short passes i made were when i grabbed the auto darkening....for waynos roof auto darkening is a must.... u could just go and go and go till u remember u werent supposed to and step back to see your roof now holds water....lol....i was just lazy when i was doing the first one (twice..) and paid the price...my face feels tight today...lol

I just wasn't sure if you could fill gaps like that with bondo

Them spot welds are fairly close together, the point is to weld each spot far enough away from the last one you did to not let the metal get hot and warp, so once I got around the top a few times the welds started getting within an inch of each other, so then I start skipping ahead 4 inches, and by the time I get around the metal is cool enough to touch, so around I go again.

I can actually weld between each of the welds again if I wanted to, they would then mostly be touching each other, but I don't see a point, as it will hold the way it is.

[img=http://images.craigslist.org/3Ke3I83N85He5Mb5J2d25336aa48071ac12ee.jpg]

going to be picking these up 2maro for the truck.. 130$ for all 4  cant beat that

cant really read the brand and the lady didnt know what they were all she kept saying was they're "custom" dose any one know what brand?

Ultra type 5051 maybe? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&site=webhp&tbm=isch&source=hp&q=ultra+wheels&oq=ultra+wheels&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3..5j0j0i24l3.3962.12984.0.13540.13.11.0.2.2.0.422.2595.1j0j3j4j1.9.0.les%3B..0.0...1ac.1.2.mobile-gws-hp.Iy4-xgUpnf0&biw=480&bih=268&sei=tAcUUf3CDImq0AHPu4HwDA#i=22