TENDRIL's 67' pantydropping, black cherry pearl popping 520 now with Turbo DOHC, body drop, and 4-link with bags or coilovers not sure, maybe both

TENDRIL

ok let's see where to start...?

about three years ago i bought this little bugger off of a guy in sacramento. found him on craigslist, called him up we talked for about an hour shootin' the shit about all of his cars, really nice guy kinda strange but nice, he had a collection of about 20 cars all different kinds... old honda's, toyota's, MG's, fiat's, a really old plymouth, and some datsun's. i called him about his datsun trucks he had 5 of them a 65 utility truck (non-running), another 65 normal (non-running) a 71 521 fully resto., a 68 521 (needed a carb. to run), and a 67 520.

so i drove up to sac to meet the guy originally in my old ford we met had some coffee at his car warehouse he showed me the above collection, i decided i wanted the one that was running :rolleyes: so that day i paid a third of the price, took the paperwork with me back down to the bay area, brought it to dmv the next day changed the title into my name, took the train back up there the guy picked me up from the amtrack station...a little weirded out at this point as i was with this pretty much stranger and he was taking me to his auto warehouse in an industrial area kinda of secluded, its later in the day by this point...so yea unsure.gif .

anyways we get there bull shit about the cars again i buy the truck and he throws in an old tool box with a flat head screw driver, a 10mm wrench, a gal. of water and a quart of oil along with the repair manual for the motor, its getting dark so i told the guy i gotta go man the trucks brand new to me never driven it before dont know the all the idiosyncrasies to this thing wasn't sure about the fuel milage or anything, so i get ito the thing and go to drive away and the fuel gauge doesn't work so i shook the truck it was pretty much bone dry, i didn't account for fuel to get the thing home i was broke after i paid the guy ... ohmy.gif luckly enough he noticed me on the side of the road checking the fuel level when he was going home he asked what was wrong i said im broke and theres no fuel lol we both laughed about it and he folloed me to the gas station he gave me 15.00$ ..... huh.gif and i threw it in the tank right away started to drive it back to the bay, i took it at about 65 most of the hour drive home, at a really long stretch in Fairfield i decided well lets see what this thing has got and i punched it got it up to about 100 with room for more push i was satisfied cruzed the rest of the way home...

i drove it day in and day out all around and as far as i could,

it was great until one night i decided to go hang out with a girlfriend of mine at the time, everything was great the whole night through the night into the morning, its about 8am in the morn. and she gets a bright idea to go get coffee were both pretty much out of our minds from booze and other exploits wink.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gifhuh.gifblink.gifmellow.gifsad.gif against my better judgement i say ok sure, we hop in go to starfucks get some joe, on the way back i take a road i normally dont take because there is about 5 streets all with intersections with no signs i mean not a stop, yield, slow nothing and so i get to the beginning of the street there is this one stop sign i take off in first get up to about 5 mph, shift about 15 and as i push the clutch in and start to bring the shifter into third everything got really quiet and boom i T-bone a 2004 toyota carolla, i mean dead straight on clean T-bone and i totaled it nobody was hurt except my passenger who was not wearing her lap belt, she went flying into the metal dash and split her forehead, my truck was towed i am very grateful, of the way thing went they could have been a lot worse.... sad.gif ,

so on a better note i was able to find a new front end for my truck and im going to start to revive her!!!!

damage in the wreck was very little thanks to the welded 30mph bumper somebody stuck to the frame, but was still enough to have to replace the front .

Specs:

Year:1967

Make: Datsun

Model: pl520 pick up

Drivetrain: 1980 mighty max D50 2.8L 4cyl, 5 speed

i only have the 3 oics tonight but much more will come! p.s. i lost all of the old photos of this truck to a stolen phone sad.gif
IMAG0598.jpg
IMAG0597.jpg
IMAG0531.jpg

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ollz we the main reason for this thread is for welding and fitment tips.

im not to sure what kind of style welding to use and do i over lap the sheet metal than do a full bead on both overlaping sides? or spot weld 300 spots and fill with some kind of resin... duno. so hopefully i can get some advise on how to mate the new part to the old part...

got some pic today wasnt much room to work with i have to empty out that garage and begin the teardown..

IMAG0625.jpg

IMAG0627-1.jpg

IMAG0628-1.jpg

also i was wondering if anybody could tell me if this is nissan/datsun frame style the guy i got the truck from said its a mitsu. mighty max frame and motor with the datsun cab and bed on it, just wondering if i could get a forsure answer, because the cab looks like it was ment to rest where it does..

IMAG0639.jpg

IMAG0643.jpg

IMAG0633-1.jpg

IMAG0632-1.jpg

IMAG0630-1.jpg

IMAG0636.jpg

and this is the front susp.

IMAG0646.jpg

IMAG0647.jpg

and top of the motor

IMAG0644.jpg :huh:

Those pics definitely show why you were able to get a 520 up to 100MPH :lol: Thats a mighty max/d-50 engine... Frame looks like it too with those goofy front spring buckets. Id say its an upgrade over the datsun frame/suspension only because it has disks and ball joints. If it fits well... keep it.

That core support looks suspiciously like a 521 though... Its not for a 520... Youre probably going to have better luck straightening out the metal on the truck than finding some 520 sheet metal.

Oh yeah, one other thing... Im glad youre still here and nobody was seriously hurt and hopefully youve learned your lesson but DONT FUCKING DRINK AND DRIVE!!!!! :angry: Tell your friends the same.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

so i was wondering where? you get the sheet metal for the build and what kind? thickness, grade?

also this build will be post-pone due to the fact im having it and my wagon shipped to AZ, in may but i would like to keep an eye out for the kind of metal needed, also what kind of welding should be used? wire feed(MIG), or ARC?

• 1 month later...

if you need floor patches and quick fix to a panel check out POR15 catalog

they have these mesh pads in various sizes

almost like fiberglass mesh....u lay em down on the holes and paint por15 on top.. they harden and viola....not saying replaces steel but no more fred flintstone....can use on quarter panels too

see i got your back

if you need floor patches and quick fix to a panel check out POR15 catalog

they have these mesh pads in various sizes

almost like fiberglass mesh....u lay em down on the holes and paint por15 on top.. they harden and viola....not saying replaces steel but no more fred flintstone....can use on quarter panels too

see i got your back

the floor pans are cherry no holes or even surface rust PO garage parked it almost its entire life

but on another note im going down to the bay today to pick her up, and start the tear down and pull the motor, cut the front end off and replace it with a freshy thanks to 420and620.. shout out to keeping my truck alive!! will be back later tonight with oics of the tow mission

• Like 1

started work yesterday or the day before but first we had to tow it from the bay area to SLT

2012-06-17_19-11-56_765.jpg2012-06-17_19-12-20_57.jpg2012-06-17_19-59-52_677.jpg2012-06-17_19-59-35_113.jpg2012-06-17_20-00-16_939.jpg

then once up here started the engine pull and harness pull

IMAG0136.jpgIMAG0137.jpgIMAG0139.jpgIMAG0141.jpgIMAG0144.jpg

the massive hole i need to repair so that the engine is not half way into the cab lol

IMAG0143.jpg

thats it for now be back soon!!

started to cut the core support, this metal had some good memory considering it sat for a year, the inner fender wall popped back an inch or so after it was separated

from the support.

IMAG0705.jpg

IMAG0706.jpg

test fitting

IMAG0709.jpg

IMAG0708.jpg

there are minor issues that keep it from lining up straight away, will work them out

one of the issues IMAG0712.jpg

drilled the spot welds going to repair the kink

IMAG0713.jpg

IMAG0714.jpg

started to work the kink out

IMAG0715.jpg

IMAG0716.jpgIMAG0717.jpg

test fit

IMAG0718.jpg

ok so moar work done! i start a new job monday so ive been trying to knock out as much as possible .

IMAG0719.jpg

removed all the harness and carpet,

IMAG0720.jpg

than the dash and steering column IMAG0721.jpg

than i wire-wheeled the floor pans and what used to be cherry pans were destroyed in a year and a couple months of driveway sitting sigh......

IMAG0722.jpgIMAG0723.jpgIMAG0724.jpg

so that means i will be cutting and replacing some floors which i hoped i wouldn't halve too but o well more experience .....

first floor pan replacement ive ever done... so bare with me

IMG_20120624_164721.jpg

untill the other day i did not know what a welding spoon was, but now that i do i should be getting alot better with this type of application!

i was getting blow outs all over the place but its sturdy..lol and ugly as shit!

You really don't want to try to weld sheet metal, you want to tack it like this, this doesn't blow holes in the metal, and it doesn't get hot enough to warp either.

As you can see the the photo below, I placed the piece of metal into position, then spot welded it every 4 inches or so till I was all the way around, then I spot welded it in between each weld, repeat, repeat, repeat, till the spot welds are almost touching each other.

DSCN0105.jpg

It doesn't take as long as it looks, and once you get the hang of it, it doesn't look that bad either.

did some firewall replacing today, the PO of this truck hack the shit out of the firewall to fit the d50 motor into it. :sick: so i have to make a box like structure to pop in to the firewall to make it look flush but also allow the motor i have to fit. :geek: today i just cut out and replaced where the throttle, brake and clutch go through the firewall

IMAG0749.jpg

half of this was held on by screws lol

IMAG0750.jpg

IMAG0751.jpg

not the best but with a little bit of grinding and some kind of filler it will look smooth ! i hope

IMAG0752.jpg

no i am going to drill out the old holes that are needed only the pedal box needs holes, you can see a hole below the new metal, for the steering shaft, it was way to hacked to save so i know its going to be a little tougher but it should be worth it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

got to work on this today finally

put the box in trying to fix the PO's hack job

SMH

i will have some trouble trying to close the bottom corners, there are flaps that i folded down on the sheet metal so there are just small gaps, still going to be tough!!

DSC_0435.jpg

DSC_0434.jpg

• Like 1