Ford 8.8 Build

nis720

At first I wanted to simply shorten the 8.8 rear end, but after considering the cost I decided I might as well go all out and do it right the first time. I had the Gear Shop shorten the housing and install large bearing Ford Torino 9" ends. This was the better choice to the 8.8 C-clip eliminator kits that tends to leak. Since I was getting custom axles made I went with stronger 31 spline to run a Cobra or Explorer LSD unit. For the brakes I went with a cobra brake setup with 11.6" vented rotors.

I wanted to install the axle on the stock suspension for now, eventually 4 link (when I get some $$$ for that).

First on my list was Moser spring perches.

IMG_1543a.jpg

The 8.8 housing have different lengths depending on the year:

The one I got was from a 2000 Mustang.

IMG_1577a.jpg

Cut off all the brackets.

IMG_1667a.jpg

Mocked up the rear end with the perches in place before dropping it off at the Gear Shop.

IMG_2121a.jpg

IMG_2118a.jpg

Figured the pinion angle before tacking perches.

IMG_2123a.jpg

IMG_2114a.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gear Shop shortened the housing, installed Mark Williams Ford Torino 9” large bearing ends, made custom 31 spline axles, Currie Enterprises Cobra brake brackets (CE-6011BCT) and pressed on the 3.150 bearings/rings. This is what I got back.

Parts list:

Mark Williams - 57860 - Ford 9" ends

Mark Williams - ML-507 - 3.150 Bearings and rings

Currie - CE-6011BCT - Brake brackets/retainer plates

National - 51098 - Housing end seals

Custom Axles - 31 spline

IMG_3468a.jpg

The length w/out the rotors. It’s 54” total wms to wms with the rotors.

IMG_3502a.jpg

As far as gearing there’s a broad range of options, same goes for the LSD. I went with G2 Axles 3.73 gearing and master ring and pinion install kit.

IMG_2449a.jpg

I was able to pickup a used Cobra 31 spline LSD for cheap.

IMG_4270a.jpg

Cobra flange for 1350 U-Joints.

IMG_4703a.jpg

Comparison between the H190 and the 8.8.

IMG_4721a.jpg

Got the gears setup by Bermudez Gears and my friend painted the housing single stage black.

IMG_4774a.jpg

mmm. nice. if i swap a bigger motor in my car or do something drastic in the future to my engine, i want an 8.8. this thread may be very informative for me. can you post what you paid for all this stuff? i need a price figure to see if this is practical for the future.

Used 95-04 Cobra rear brake components.

IMG_4914a.jpg

IMG_4925a.jpg

For the brake lines I measured out and purchased 3AN stainless steel braided lines for now (Once it's 4-linked I will run hard lines) with a 3AN tee. I used a fitting to accept the stock 10mm x 1.0 inverted flare into a male 3AN.

IMG_4888a.jpg

IMG_4907a.jpg

IMG_4912a.jpg

IMG_4909a.jpg

IMG_4893a.jpg

IMG_4890a.jpg

Very nice so far :thumbup: ...looks great!

What gear ratios?

Did the inner tubes get welded straight to housing? I cant see haha sorry

how much to set up prepossessed/ring pinion/ if i may ask ( pm if comfy) ... i may be doing this in the future.

I just barely picked up my 98 ...8.8 explorer lsd diff yesterday ... going to keep stock length and run positive offset wheels ob my zcar :)

mmm. nice. if i swap a bigger motor in my car or do something drastic in the future to my engine, i want an 8.8. this thread may be very informative for me. can you post what you paid for all this stuff? i need a price figure to see if this is practical for the future.

Expect to spend around $2500-3000 for the setup I'm running. But keep in mind there is cheaper alternatives to shortening a 8.8.

Very nice so far :thumbup: ...looks great!

What gear ratios?

Did the inner tubes get welded straight to housing? I cant see haha sorry

how much to set up prepossessed/ring pinion/ if i may ask ( pm if comfy) ... i may be doing this in the future.

I just barely picked up my 98 ...8.8 explorer lsd diff yesterday ... going to keep stock length and run positive offset wheels ob my zcar :)

3.73 gears

Yes the axle tubes are welded all the way around. The installation/setup of the gears runs about $200, but I paid less because my friend did part of it and he knew the guy that did the work (barter system is the best). Keep in mind the explorer rear end is offset pinion.

I clicked this thread wanting to see 8.8L Ford Super Duty V8 in a Datsun.

Am disappoint.

Sorry to disappoint. I'm running a single cam KA.

wow...basically what I want to do to my wagon...I like.

whats the size of the rotors on the back. I'm looking @ a minimum of 16" wheels for the front...I dont know if the rear would make it a minimum of 17".

Let me know when you want to start.

The rear rotors are 11.61" vented. Right now I have 16" Mustang wheels and they clear just fine. I've heard of people running 15" Weld wheels for drag racing, only issue would be the banjo bolt rubs it there's too much backspacing. Simple fix is to get a lower profile banjo bolt.

Expect to spend around $2500-3000 for the setup I'm running. But keep in mind there is cheaper alternatives to shortening a 8.8.

3.73 gears

Yes the axle tubes are welded all the way around. The installation/setup of the gears runs about $200, but I paid less because my friend did part of it and he knew the guy that did the work (barter system is the best). Keep in mind the explorer rear end is offset pinion.

Sorry to disappoint. I'm running a single cam KA.

Thankyou for the infomoration man! :cool:

I like ka's :D

If i stick with a 4-spec manual trans behind 350 ... i was looking at 3.36-ish or higher gears ... high torque will pull it right along.

It would be cheaper for Me to get another 8.8 with higher gears ... unfortunately unless truck open it will be lighter 28-splines ... it defeats the purpose of me saving moneys lol.

yup ... most straight axles are offset pinions in my experience. Many people think they are centered.

i will be welding my tubes to the housing regardless ... carefully lol.

around 3.5-4 inches offset i believe on my 8.8 Lsd ( rough eyeball measurement)

For $200 i will have mine setup by a pro ... i do not have the correct equipment to setup these rears ( nor have i tried on 8.8 )

Ford 8.8 and gm 12-bolt share a more similiarities than differences according to an article.

Ford 8.8 that have 31-splines count ... are one spline larger than gm 12-bolt (30 splines) and gm 12- bolt posi is tough! !!!

You did a great job with the pics man! !! Great info :cool:

Do you think it would cut down the cost if I were to get a 97 ish explorer rear end that already has the LSD and disc? Then just have the ranger axle put in it?

Oh, and check your PM's

Keep in mind I went from a bare (no gears, LSD or axles) 8.8 housing to a fully built Cobra unit. If you get a 8.8 that's complete you'll be spending way less. On the explorer rear ends the disk brakes are different, the parking brake is a drum style within the disk itself. Reason I had to go with cobra brakes is because of the Ford 9" style ends require different brakes, and this was the cheaper alternative to the Wilwood one. The way I went about building mine was extreme and unconventional, but well worth it for me.

I didn't get a PM.

• 3 months later...