Ground up 260z build, V8 swap, lots of pics!

spudly13

i had a build thread on hybridz but havent touched it in months, decided to start a new one and keep up to date on it. Working on it is generally spontanieous but itll be done one day!

It currently sits sandblasted on a rotissire in my shop. Floor pans have been cut out and replaced. spare tire is cut out and will be replaced with a fuel cell. sun roof is filled. battery tray area replaced. firewall rot fixed. rocker rot fixed. Made one off fiberglass fender flares for the rear and bought some fenders up front. built a chevy 350 (lt1) Rebuilt a t5 tranny to put behind it. made a crossmember and motor mounts, tranny crossmember. lowered my seat mounts, "tubbed the rear" not really but sort of. i needed crazy clearence for my wheel tire combo and its going to be pretty low, so everything had to go. built a custom taillight panel. and spent the entire time ive been building the car scrounging up parts. shaved anything that could be shaved.

To do list:

full cage

Make my wire harness using a factory harness and an lt1 engine harness

finish and attach flares

finish body work and bondo

Paint

Assemble

Sounds easy enough right? Oh and for the record i started this when i was 16 so for all you old folk who keep giving me shit about swapping my 510.... I have the skill! and it wont end up as another lost datsun wink.gif

And ill leave you with these pics for now....sorry there all mis matched as far as a timeline goes....

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went through a few (meybe a year) slow months with not much going on due to lack of funds (im in highschool and funding the project myself) and the community on hybridz is... ____ not as friendly as here!

Awesome this looks like another s30 has surfaced lol, hybrid is cool but some are jhst very scrict and narrow minded and purist and old. Lol, dam if i had the space you did i would be doing the same...

Spudly,

your doing things the right way, keep your head up and follow through your vision. I know it will seem endless at times, and youll feel helpless with out the giant checking account.....but you can ALWAYS find something to do on your car without it. Keep the passion and see it through. Your build pics remind me of my Camaro when it was in that stage.....your mind goes 100 mph our almost every day trying to think of the next move.

My sons and I will subscribe to your thread, their 13 and just starting on theirs as well. Please dont hesiatate to ask any questions or adivse if you need it....truly a fun build and its good to see the younger guys get into it for sure.

Thanks Bob.

Spudly,

your doing things the right way, keep your head up and follow through your vision. I know it will seem endless at times, and youll feel helpless with out the giant checking account.....but you can ALWAYS find something to do on your car without it. Keep the passion and see it through. Your build pics remind me of my Camaro when it was in that stage.....your mind goes 100 mph our almost every day trying to think of the next move.

My sons and I will subscribe to your thread, their 13 and just starting on theirs as well. Please dont hesiatate to ask any questions or adivse if you need it....truly a fun build and its good to see the younger guys get into it for sure.

Thanks Bob.

Thanks, after getting my 510 back to dd status im going to try and get moving on it again. I struggle with body work thats my problem right now! i love working on engines or fabing up stuff, but trying to weld in body panels when im self taught at welding (sorta my dad taught me the basics and said go for it) and learning as i go and sweeping bondo, its not my thing and taking sometime!

Ill definately be seeing it through to the end!

I managed to get a few small things done the last couple days

patched the rot under the rear sil

replaced the rear sil

started fabing up the supports that go under the floors

finished one rear fender well and started on the other

2012-02-27_13-29-13_952.jpg

2012-02-27_13-30-29_745.jpg

2012-02-27_13-28-20_577.jpg?t=1330378578

2012-02-27_13-28-27_733.jpg

2012-02-27_13-28-38_499.jpg

2012-02-27_13-28-56_765.jpg

Very nice work! Great thoroughness so far spudley. Your doing a great job :cool:

What's the plans for the rear diff setup?

Excellent engine choice :thumbup:

Right now the plan is to run a r200 lsd that i bought out of some other car. should be a straight forward bolt in with minor changes, if i manage to break that ill do all the fab work to run an r230 which from what i understand are bullet proof

• 3 weeks later...

There about 3 or 4 inches at the top, for whatever reason i was in love with the wheels i bought, there only 9.5s, so down the road when i have coils i should be able to stuff i realllyyyy wide rim under there. The front fenders have about a 3 inch flare/bulge at the top as well.

Some pics of the flares, Suspension is loose so its not flush, sitting static assembled it should meybe just barely tuck rim.

New fuel fill (will be underneath license plate)

rear replacement floor (cant weld yet, have to make battery box and fuel cell mounts first)

some floor pan patch work

2012-03-19_16-45-48_189.jpg

2012-03-19_16-45-59_994.jpg

2012-03-19_15-25-38_334.jpg?t=1332201278

2012-03-17_17-02-30_848.jpg?t=1332201221

2012-03-18_16-42-09_839.jpg?t=1332201279

• 4 weeks later...

So i havent posted anything in quite sometime, mostly cause not much progress has been made! and ive done a little work on the 510 in the last week or so.

But hopefully with the start of next week ill get a few things buttoned up and start on my roll cage! im not too excited for it, i know its going to be hard, but luckily my dads great with this kinda stuff, so ill keep this updated as we get going on it.

Front flared fiberglass fenders, i love the look the of a slammed z with bolt on flares, but thats not the look im trying to acheive here, thus the reason we made one offs for the rear and i found these sweet 15 year old, never mounted, fenders.

DSCN1783.jpg