Davy's IRS SR20 Wagon

So this has been started for almost a year now, but just decided to start this build thread. Starting with a '71 goon that was parked since 1984, had the usual rocker rust, but overall, a great specimen. If I can find the pics, I'll update later with the pre-stripped car. For now though, it's getting a full cage done by Greg at SloDrive Racing, who is also doing the fabrication work to put the IRS out of a sedan into the back.

Planning on a SR20DET S15 for a powerplant, but we'll see as that day comes closer.

As the swap progresses I'll update with more pictures and we'll see how we decide to finally mount it up under there. I'll add more of my ideas and dreams as I have time, but for now enjoy the small sample and check back often!

Cage pics, still going to put in diagonals towards the back, but it's almost there!

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

All mounted to the floor! So nice.

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

The day these came was like Christmas all over again. Front and rear coil-overs from TechnoToyTuning and the bump steer spacers.

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

Well isn't that just b-e-a-utiful.

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing like an IRS, caged, red wagon, most excellent!

Looks like your fabricator has got it wired, but let me know if you have any questions about the IRS install, I added rear coil-overs to mine also. The write-up is in the Dime Quarterly, Vol 11, Issue 4.

I can try that. I've called ground control and they will not tell you. They told me if I wanna find out then I have to buy it. $600 just to find out a number fuck that. So I was just figuring that t3 wouldn't tell me either. But I'll give them a call and see what they say. If not if you would be so kind to tell me the part # that would be most appreciated.

I can try that. I've called ground control and they will not tell you. They told me if I wanna find out then I have to buy it. $600 just to find out a number fuck that. So I was just figuring that t3 wouldn't tell me either. But I'll give them a call and see what they say. If not if you would be so kind to tell me the part # that would be most appreciated.

WTF, they wouldn't tell you? That's stupid. Give T3 a ring. Gabe is super nice about helping people out.

• Like 1

Ya, I'll definitely give it a look and let ya know.

But... more pics!

Why does your rear crossmember hang so low?

That's only an inch or so lower than a stock 510 sedan in relation to the rocker panels........ .. the camber will be mad without some of Byron's adjustable brackets

How did you secure the rear crossmember mounting studs??? ...... do they thread into the baseplates for the main-hoop???

and are the differential studs threaded into the square tubing??? ....... . Nice work!!! .... gives me ideas for my IRS projects

T3 wouldnt give me that part number. He said we don't give out that information. I don't think they are for a camaro because the camaro have a metal dust tube and all these other brands (T3,ground control,)don't.

a9e7af82.jpg

Those Camaro ones work for the stock solid rear end i think? But, the p/n is not visible anywhere on the assembly.It's probably covered by the ground control setup, which I didn't have time to take off to look further. Sorry!

That's only an inch or so lower than a stock 510 sedan in relation to the rocker panels........ .. the camber will be mad without some of Byron's adjustable brackets

How did you secure the rear crossmember mounting studs??? ...... do they thread into the baseplates for the main-hoop???

and are the differential studs threaded into the square tubing??? ....... . Nice work!!! .... gives me ideas for my IRS projects

I'll get more detailed pics up once I get a chance, but the rear crossmember mounting studs are just through the floor with all the stock hardware exactly like the sedans, just had the cut the holes. Most likely we will weld in plates so there's more beef for them to grab. As for the differential studs, the square tubing was actually c-channel, and theres a plate welded to the bottom and the studs just have a nut on top that is accessible. Again, more pics soon to show that!

Just cut some rear fenders out of a 2dr and they should be grafted in this week for the coilovers to attach to something that makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...