Subi R160 axle conversion

Bart's 510

So I was looking and looking and could not find right Subi diff with gear ratio that I like for my 510 track car.I decide to get Subaru Legacy R160 VLSD diff and convert stub axles to fit stock 510 drive shafts.Here is what I did.Let me know what do you think?

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0292.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

IMAG0294.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought cheapest Legacy used axles That I could find.I used only inner joint part with spline that goes inside Subi diff.Cut off 510 flanges,and cut off Subi splines.All pieces were tig welded together and machined on lathe again for nice smooth look and to accept stock 510 dust shield wich was removed from stub axle before machining.That's all.

Cost:

$150 for Subi VLSD from Ebay

$40 for each axle including shipping.

Diff was cleaned and repainted,resealed rear cover and filled with Royal Purple synthetic gear oil.

I think you can't do it cheaper than that.

I needed highiest possible gear ratio.2002 Legacy has 4.44 so it should be nice acceleration difference on corner exit.I do not really care about top speed becouse on a track I have next turn comin really fast anyway :D

My diff came from 2003 Legacy outback.It is VLSD not LSD.I bought correct axles for that car and cut the splines from it.If you go on any parts website there is no difference LH and RH for this model year.So I think I will be OK.I know that older cars up 98 with LSD had differnt lenght axles.

• 7 months later...

Well,I just want to let all of you know that my conversion works better than expected.I racedwith this setup whole season,with no issues at all.VLSD diff works as should and and my stub axles are holding up great.I rev my motor to 8000 shift at around 7800 with top speeds over 120 MPH.I gues another succes in my designs;)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

In my opinion vlsd set up from late model subi is good enough.I work on many different road race cars and especially with low powere light cars like 510,less lock up is better.I like them as loose as posibble othervise you are loosing lot of power on corner exit.

But this is just my prefference,every driver is different.

In my case 4.44 gear ratio with 150hp L16 is great overall set up for short and long roadcourses.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Well,I just want to let all of you know that my conversion works better than expected.I racedwith this setup whole season,with no issues at all.VLSD diff works as should and and my stub axles are holding up great.I rev my motor to 8000 shift at around 7800 with top speeds over 120 MPH.I gues another succes in my designs;)

Sent you a Pm Bart