My new purchase

datsun 521 ute

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on my 521 (L series) you have a 2pc drive shaft) in the center is the carrier bearing so the drive shaft has suppert in the center. Which is surrounded by a rubber ring holding the bearing in.

If truck is really low with lowering blocks or springs removed the angle of the drive shaft changes putting a load on the bearing. Most times when kids do this they dont notice till it break and most trucks are sold by then.

But this is noticible whan 5 speeds are installed on these trucks.

Belltech makes a 2 deg lowering blocks to help this. This puts the differential more in line to the trans as the truck is lowered. Usually over 3 inch then it can get toucchy at high speeds or what ever. U joint wear ect...

This is why I suggest to use 65 series tires on a 15 inch rim as if you lower it 3 inch it still gives the optical illusion of a lowered truck and fills in the wheel whell. as a 50 series tire youll have to lower the truckl alot more by either butting more blocks or removing leaf springs which I dont suggest as youll get axle wrap if there is such a thing as a POWERFUL J motor.

However I dont have a J motor 521 so dont know if its a 1 pc or a 2 pc drive shaft.

I just dial the torsion bar in front down to the max and remove the rubber spacer from the frame ,abump stop or whatever you want to call it.

You can also reindex the torsion bar from the front A arm. No need to remove the C clips in back.

Hi Hainz, we don't have the centre bearing, it's a one piece tailshaft. As for the J15, this will be staying standard except for a pair of twin SU's, a set of extractors, exhaust and electronic dizzy. Axle tramp can be ruled out. I will be aiming for about 3.5" and had a good chat with the guy from the spring makers who had actually done his apprenticeship there and 50 years service. I told him what I was after and he recommended to remove a couple leafs, and which ones, as the ute won't be used to carry the heavy loads it was intended to.

As for the torsion bars these have all been removed for painting so will have a crack at re-indexing them to lower the front. Now I just have to remember how they go back in, will be interesting or frustrating.

Thank you for your help and concerns.

Looks good! Nice find

good job on puting another datsun gem on the road safely.... :cool:

Thanks guys.

More parts today, rear bearings and seals, front outer bearings, all new brake and clutch hoses and a new Crane XR700 electronic ignition. Now only waiting on front inner bearings and rear leafs.

DSC00268.jpg

Thought I would throw in a pic of my son in his cool onesie.

IMG_2443.jpg

• Like 2

cute kid mate.

Thanks MrB

Where did you get the new clutch hose?

I had the hoses made and cost between $35-$40 each depending on length.

If you can't find the front inner bearings for a stock 521 drum brake setup, Mike K. makes a spacer that allows you to use 620 inner bearings, as they are easier to come by over here.

Yes the front inner bearings are just as hard to find here also. After a little searching and a few phone calls I managed to find 4 of or 2 sets so grabbed them both. Now just waiting for their arrival. Just out of curiosity how much are these spacers?

• 1 month later...

Can you show us a few photos of the J block Dual SU manifold please. :)

It's from an MG, I haven't measured it up yet to see if it fits which I should have done first but I'm 90% certain it will. Suits 1 1/2" SU's. intake ports are 1 3/8", measures 7 3/8" from centre to centre of intake ports and the manifold stud spacing from 1-2 is approx 3 3/4" and 1-3 is approx 7 1/4" and 1-4 is approx 11 3/16". The SU's are from a 1600 Fairlady/SP311 R16, so hopefully won't need much in the way of tuning once the exhaust and electronic ignition are done.

The studs were a little long so I cut them down and re-threaded them to the length I needed.

SUmanifold.jpg

SUmanifold3.jpg

SUmanifold4-1.jpg

SUmanifold1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your ute looks great mate, i can't believe you got it from Lower King, Albany in West Os. Im in perth, and go there all the time. I've been searching for 521's in WA for months,with no luck. How did you find it ?. How much if i can ask ?. I would like to contact you directly for information on getting parts here in Australia , as i cant get anyone here to find shit all ?. I've got a 521 van im just starting to rebiuld, and will be needing parts as i go. Mine has same drive line as yours,and I'm interested in gaining a bit more power from the old 1500. I'll be watching your biuld to see how you get on ?.

Pulling the front apart now to repair the rust in the front left corner. So I am after some reasonable repair sections if anyone has them. I have listed photos in this section, the rest of the parts I'm after

The old repairs were pretty sad, they even welded the gaurd to the front valance/nose and the lower lip to the gaurd and valance/nose.

DSC00384.jpgDSC00385.jpgDSC00386.jpg

So I am in need of these sections as soon as possible and also the front left headlight assembly so I can get it to a point where I can get it road legal and registered and back to driving a Datsun.