My new purchase

datsun 521 ute

I posted this in the Datsun Projects but thought I would put it where it belongs, amongst the rest of the best :cool:

Here is my latest purchase, a 1971 521/1500 ute. I gets put on a truck on Monday for a 2700km(1650mile) interstate trip to my house. Hopefully arrives safe and sound by the end of next week.

All original, even the J15 engine. Very hard to get here in Oz as majority are J13. Has all books and documented 96,000 original miles.

Only plans are the set of 15x7 wheels pictured with 165/50/15 tyres stretched on, lower it 2"-3" inches all round, a set of fender mirrors and get rid of those elephant ears hanging off the doors and an original radio. If anyone has an original radio, metal backing plate and speaker and is willing to sell and ship to Oz it would be much appreciated. :D

This is my second 521, my first 521 is also on here.

15012012789.jpg

080120.jpg

08012012758.jpg

13022012849.jpg

08012012759.jpg

wheels.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in the Datsun Projects but thought I would put it where it belongs, amongst the rest of the best :cool:

Here is my latest purchase, a 1971 521/1500 ute. I gets put on a truck on Monday for a 2700km(1650mile) interstate trip to my house. Hopefully arrives safe and sound by the end of next week.

All original, even the J15 engine. Very hard to get here in Oz as majority are J13. Has all books and documented 96,000 original miles.

Only plans are the set of 15x7 wheels pictured with 165/50/15 tyres stretched on, lower it 2"-3" inches all round, a set of fender mirrors and get rid of those elephant ears hanging off the doors and an original radio. If anyone has an original radio, metal backing plate and speaker and is willing to sell and ship to Oz it would be much appreciated. :D

This is my second 521, my first 521 is also on here.

15012012789.jpg

080120.jpg

08012012758.jpg

13022012849.jpg

08012012759.jpg

wheels.jpg

You 521 rhd similar my 521.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my 521 today from the car depot. I was more than happy with most things on the car but not so with a couple of things the guy failed to mention. I guess these things happen when you buy a car from interstate and only rely on what the guy is telling you and the pictures he sends.

Well firstly he said it was bad surface rust in the front left corner behind the parker/indicator. There was certainly no surface rust as there was no surface, just a rust hole I could nearly get my hand into.

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

Then there's the gearbox, 3rd gear doesn't sound very good at all, 1st, 2nd and 4th good though. 3 out of 4 ain't bad I guess.

Neither of the side/gaurd indicators work and the front left is hanging by its wires on the inside of the gaurd.

Was told it had original and documented 96,000 miles, ended up being 193,000 miles.

On the good side of things everything else on the car works really well. Also came with original Owner's Manual, Warranty and Service Booklet.

2.jpg

The original owners also made their own log book for the car dating back from when they purchased it new in Dec 1971 right up to Nov 2007. This goes into really good detail on the servicing and maintanence of the 521.

pagecover-3.jpg

page4-7.jpg

page8-11.jpg

page12-15.jpg

page16-18.jpg

page19-22.jpg

page23-24.jpg

On the parcel shelf there was also a Service Manual for the J13, J15 and J16 engines and a Haynes 510 and 521 pick up Repair manual.

44.jpg

1.jpg

I also gave the new wheels a test fit and JUST fit within the gaurds, so will organise tyres for them next week(165/50/15).

DSC00239.jpg

Well driving home the other night and my brakes let go, thankfully got the green light as I was rolling up to them and was only half a K from home. Home safely and now the job of rebuilding all brakes and clutch just to be safe.

Rang my local parts place and he had almost every thing I needed on shelf, he was just as surprised as I was. 2 rear cylinder kits, 2 front cylinder kits, brake master cylinder kit and new set of rear shoes. In the glove box of the ute was a new clutch master kit and clutch slave kit and new shoes already on the front.

So will be pulling the whole front and rear ends apart for cleaning an painting, will post pictures soon.

Here is the progress I have made today.

From what I could gather the front right wheel cylinder let go which is why I lost my brakes

Up on stands and let the stripping begin.

DSC00241.jpg

Has near new shoes on the front, one less thing to buy. shocks look good and not too old, Gabriel Red Ryders.

DSC00242.jpg

One corner done, now on to the next.

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

Most of the new brake parts, just waiting one more front cylinder kit and rear shoes.

DSC00243.jpg

Some spare 521 suspension/steering parts I bought a couple years ago for my last 521 but never put them on, so on they go. Except for the King Pins as these were only replaced in 2004/60,000k's ago.

DSC00247.jpg

I had a spare set of 320 door pulls about so on they went and into a box with the plastic ones.

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

Hopefully also lined up some new outer rods and idler arm, will find out next week. Will post more progress pics tomorrow night.

Back into it again today, got all the front and rear suspension removed and in the process of cleaning it all for paint tomorrow.

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00259.jpg

Took out the spare tyre and looks to be the original, filled with dirt I gave it a pressure wash before putting it back along with the entire underbody of the car. Boy what a mess it made in the driveway, 40 years of country dirt up in there.

DSC00257.jpg

Going to a spring makers tomorrow to see about getting a new top leaf made with reverse eyes to help lower the car and to see which leafs he recommends removing as the ute won't be used to cart heavy loads anymore. Trying to avoid using blocks as they are illegal to use here. Took out the old bump stops also and found an old set off my Fairlady, just need to open them out a touch but the width is spot on. Also this is what the rear leaf spring bushes looked like.

DSC00256.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

More pics to come tomorrow night.

More cleaning of parts today and a lot of running around looking for bearings and seals. Finally have organised all new bearings and seals for front and rear and all will be arriving over the next week. New brake and cutch hoses getting made and should be ready by tomorrow. Dropped rear springs to spring makers to get eyes reversed and a couple leaves removed and will be ready early next week.

Looks like the old girl will be off the road just a little longer than the wife had hoped, she hates being a taxi. <_<