When to use spray bar

OldSkool

Ive searched and I really didnt find much. The question is when do you have to use a spray bar? Does it go by cam specs, HP, or how much RPM?

If you guys suggest one based solely off of cam specs, what kind of cam specs would need the use of a spray bar?

BTW, this is more geared to a hot street motor. Not a full race motor

Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The spray bar is only needed IF the cam isn't drilled for oiling the lobes. All factory 4-cyl ones were, but some aftermarket ones aren't. I have one that is drilled but the end isn't plugged, so until I find a way to plug it I can't use it.

Basically the stock design used a hollow camshaft that got its oil from the cam towers. Since the cam was hollow, drilled passages passed oil from the towers through the cam and out the holes in the backside of the cam lobes, which oils the cam followers. The spray bar is used to oil the lobes externally. Useful on a race engine that sees constant high RPMs as the oil would get slung off too easily via the oiler holes.

From what I've read, early 6-cyl L-series didn't have drilled lobes and HAD to use the spray bar, but sometime mid 70s they changed that. All 4-cyls were internally oiled from the get-go.

nissan still listed them 100bucks I think it was.

see it on a nismo site also.somebody knows.

I think Baz in Austraila says he doesnt use them at all so research what is really needed.

found it

99996-D11087

anytime its a motorsport part you need to add a M - then the part number in to nissanparts.cc.Hopefully you knew this already from olddatsuns.com in the parts /tech section

made it EZ for you

http://www.nissanparts.cc/cart/?pn=m-99996-D1087

I persoanlly think its a thing that can work its self loose, but thats just me or the oil line breaks

nissan still listed them 100bucks I think it was.

see it on a nismo site also.somebody knows.

I think Baz in Austraila says he doesnt use them at all so research what is really needed.

found it

99996-D11087

anytime its a motorsport part you need to add a M - then the part number in to nissanparts.cc.Hopefully you knew this already from olddatsuns.com in the parts /tech section

made it EZ for you

http://www.nissanpar...n=m-99996-D1087

I persoanlly think its a thing that can work its self loose, but thats just me or the oil line breaks

Thanks for the link/part number. THATS what ive been looking for! LOL. I couldnt seem to find any info on them, and I wasnt even sure if they were made anymore.