Backfire between shifts?

Draker

I've got a hole in my exhaust so there is a bit of excessive noise, but at lower speeds say between 1st 2nd 3rd gear shifts I hear a bit of a backfire, louder the higher the rpms.. shifting between 3-4 and 4-5 there are no backfires. I am wondering is this just more amplified because of the hole in the exhaust or do I have an issue with my carb?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a hole in my exhaust so there is a bit of excessive noise, but at lower speeds say between 1st 2nd 3rd gear shifts I hear a bit of a backfire, louder the higher the rpms.. shifting between 3-4 and 4-5 there are no backfires. I am wondering is this just more amplified because of the hole in the exhaust or do I have an issue with my carb?

Have you removed any of the pollution 'stuff'?

Cut a soup can and wrap it over the hole with two gear clamps. Fixed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I'll do the soup can fix and see where that gets me. I noticed actually it's not even between shifts as much as it is just on falling RPMs. If I am in neutral and rev it up and let off it does the same thing. I do get sharp backfires too.. I'll check the timing. Currently I've got 138k on this truck, all original.. no odd noises from the timing chain. All emissions stuff is still in place.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Stock carb? If you pulled 'all that emission crap' off you also removed the anti back fire valve and plumbing.

Turn the idle mixture screw up as rich as you can and try that.... or was it a lean as you can. Try both.

Also your BCDD may be set to low and not coming on when decelerating. Turn CW to increase the sensitivity but if the idle fails to drop back down when you come to a stop you went too far. Then turn CCW.

Nice to see you posting again Tim

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Having the exact same symptoms, and i'm not using the stock carb. I haven't looked through the exhaust but plan on having that addressed here soon. If that doesn't do the trick, I wonder if this has anything to do with not having a "Boost Controlled Deceleration Device" which I believe is installed in the stock carb.

Any thoughts on this perspective or updates on what has worked appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...