mrbigtankers 521

mrbigtanker

I had the hood of my 510 race car flip up during a race once. I watched the hood pins rattle out one at a time during the race and then BAM! Loud noise, broken glass, can't see... Finished the race , but not after losing valuable time in the pits.

Moral of the story. If you are going to use hood pins, make sure they are preloaded. A rubber bushing on the pin (under the hood) is a great way to get some preload.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 4
  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have another flying hood story. (threadjack...)

I was working on a valuable early Lotus 7 in the pits at Sears Point raceway. The hood on those cars came off and you set it aside. This one was a polished aluminum hood. No body filler, no paint.

Guess what happened? A strong wind gust came up and took the hood 20 feet in the air and 30 feet away. Bent aluminum went back on the car for the race.

Wasn't my fault, per se. And the owner of the car let it slide. I was only 19 or 20 at the time.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I have another flying hood story. (threadjack...)

I was working on a valuable early Lotus 7 in the pits at Sears Point raceway. The hood on those cars came off and you set it aside. This one was a polished aluminum hood. No body filler, no paint.

Guess what happened? A strong wind gust came up and took the hood 20 feet in the air and 30 feet away. Bent aluminum went back on the car for the race.

Wasn't my fault, per se. And the owner of the car let it slide. I was only 19 or 20 at the time.

See, so it can happen to me.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You have a better chance of being hit by lightning than the hood coming up. It just doesn't happen.

Well my SR 510 has been hit by that very bolt of lightening, and it F'ed my fiberglass hood up something serious. I had hood pins on all three of my 510s in SoCal and never had that issue, but will admit it was an esthetic choice I made in the 80s. Just to clarify, I'v never owned a Members Only jacket.

Edited by paradime
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Yeah, but I bet you wore bleached Levis and Oakley Razorblades.

Losing bet, but add a mullet to that and you have any rocker kid throughout the country.

SoCal beach rat was Birdwell Beach Britches and Rossignol Heritage 2. I don't even think I owned a pair of pants in the 80s. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, paradime said:

it was an esthetic choice 

This is it, up to the owner. I just look at it as being perfect the way Nissan made them just like people. Not a fan of piercings and tats. Wouldn't care much if easily reversible. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, paradime said:

Losing bet, but add a mullet to that and you have any rocker kid throughout the country.

I don't even think I owned a pair of underwear in the 80s. 

Me too. from '75 through 2005-ish

• Like 2