69 VG30E 510

montanosvg30

Hello everyone, I'm new to this source of great information. I just wanted to know if I am in the right track with the wiring of the 87 200SX VG30.

I have the CAN/AM, but my problem is that I cut wires when i removed the engine from the donor. I didn't know best. Now I'm doing my best to understand how to wire everything.

1st. Alternator: un-pluged the regulator to jump the wires to switch internal regulator. The alternator is connected to the 510s harness, from the original alt wires.

2nd. Where do I wire the ignition coil to?

3rd. Do I have to put a starter button for ignition?

would all the items above be solved if I wouldnt of cut the wires? would they have all trace back to the 8-9 wires from the ECU to CAN/AM and ready to go?

TIA!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. That's what I did. Just follow the write ups on converting from external to internal IR and you'll be fine.

2. Do you have the ignition module? It's a smallish transistor looking device. It will need to be wired into the ignition circuit.

3. No

Do you have a FSM for the model and year of your donor? If not, go to NICO and find their FSM archive. You will need the schematic to trace out the wires for the VG harness. Once you have that then wiring the ignition is quite simple.

1. That's what I did. Just follow the write ups on converting from external to internal IR and you'll be fine.

2. Do you have the ignition module? It's a smallish transistor looking device. It will need to be wired into the ignition circuit.

3. No

Do you have a FSM for the model and year of your donor? If not, go to NICO and find their FSM archive. You will need the schematic to trace out the wires for the VG harness. Once you have that then wiring the ignition is quite simple.

1. OK

2. I do have the ignition module, its on the same connection with the ignition coil.

3. OK

I don't have an FSM, Ive searched the archives several times but I cant find it for the 87 200SX SE VG30E.

87 and 88 were the only 2 years the 200sx came with a VG so I would be cautious using anything other then those 2 years.

Unlike the 300zx Z31, the 200sx harness was integrated and the FI harness plugged into the ECU and the main wiring harness.

You may have to run new wires for the coil from the ecu. I was at this stage when my project got put on hold :( . I am hoping to get back to it soon. :D

87 and 88 were the only 2 years the 200sx came with a VG so I would be cautious using anything other then those 2 years.

Unlike the 300zx Z31, the 200sx harness was integrated and the FI harness plugged into the ECU and the main wiring harness.

You may have to run new wires for the coil from the ecu. I was at this stage when my project got put on hold :( . I am hoping to get back to it soon. :D

Its been hard to find a FSM, does anyone here have one?

VG's are kind of a bitch! I don't like how the coil runs into the chassis harness. Makes matters a bit trickier. I don't remember the ignition transistor on the last VG I wired. For some reason I remember adding power in for the coil because that part of the harness was still at the junk yard :) Now I'm curious.

I had to run a wire back to the ECU that tied into the module and coil circuit. Power and ground came from 510 harness. The part of the 300zx harness that feeds the ignition is not part of the main engine harnes so I too left it at the JY. Since I have a diagram for my donor it was no biggie to run a new wire to the appropriate ECU pin. I will have to look at mine to verify the pin....though that probably won't help in this case.

EDIT: Looks like it was 2 wires:

VG_Ignition.jpg

• 5 years later...

Today is Halloween 2017. I have not done much to my 510, but here is a list of what i have done since 2012.

- Disk brake set up on all four corners. willwood calipers and slotted rotors. Purchased the set up from a good friend Juan with Krecs engineering.

- Coil over on all four corners. Krecs engeneering.

- Rota wheels.