It's on, Got a swap for my 210!

Lonestar

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They all over the wreckers around here, $10 for a cam position sensor.

Pick-n-Pull has like 20 altimas in Dallas.

I could be crazy, but don't the Altimas have a different set-up (distributor with plug wires and not a CAS like the turbo)? And aren't all the Altimas KA24DE?

FWIW, I got one for my last SR20DET swap (came broken like yours) from Marco at www.sr20store.com.

I think it was $40?

Nissan 23731-50F02 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

Look like it unique to the SR20DET, no other models except Silvia S13/S14/S15.

The knock sensor should be on left side, toward the back. A round thing held on by a bolt in the center.

Yes it is, is has a long shaft on with a gear on the end and is ran off the cam itself. They are coil on plug type.

John, if I can find a good one for 40 bucks I'll take it. So far on Ebay the best looking I found was a 129 bucks. Better than 335 but do I really wanna waste money on something used that I need to have for my motor to run right?

If you want to worry about something, replace your coils, the most unreliable part.

Never seen one fail yet. ;)

Or was that just the KA coil packs that were unreliable?

KA's don't have coil packs? They have a distributor and plug wires. None of the KAs came coil-on-plug like the SR and CA.

Have heard of KA coils failing though. But they share a coil with 50 other Nissans, so... :cool:

Very few swap North American SR20s into Datsuns, mainly because they are FWD and the distributor is on the back of the head. It hits the firewall when put into RWD cars. There are other differences too.

John, glad to hear the coils don't fail very often. So no need to worry about the reliability of used parts then?

Lonestar, if you worry about the reliability of used parts, have you considered a new Sentra? -- it comes with all new parts.

Very few swap North American SR20s into Datsuns, mainly because they are FWD and the distributor is on the back of the head. It hits the firewall when put into RWD cars. There are other differences too.

John, glad to hear the coils don't fail very often. So no need to worry about the reliability of used parts then?

Lonestar, if you worry about the reliability of used parts, have you considered a new Sentra? -- it comes with all new parts.

Are you saying I should just buy a Sentra and be done with it? I'm not trying to sound rude but you got me confused. I didn't there was an Sentra in the states that came fact with an SR20. It's not so much about having a problem of buying a used part, it's the part that I can't look at it before I buy. Ebay is the only place I can find right now and while the pic's look good, I've been burned before like that. I don't wanna spend 130 bucks only to find the part really was cracked or broken and they ripped me off. That is what I mean by wasting my money.

Are you saying I should just buy a Sentra and be done with it?

I'm not saying you should buy a Sentra. I posed a question: if you worry about the reliability of used parts, have you considered a new Sentra? And now you made clear your objection is not with used parts.

I'm glad to see you are cautious about buying stuff sight unseen. If you buy with a credit card and the part turns out to be junk you can get the charge taken off. So that helps limit your risk and you won't get burned. Read the sellers claims carefully, if he says it works and it doesn't then your CC company will take care of you. You can also make a claim with eBay, but reportedly they are real sticklers for what was explicitly promised. Which ususally isn't much!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok all, more oic's! Got to start some clean up on the motor, getting an idea of what will need to be replaced. I'm going to have the valve cover re-powder coated but I'm thinking I'll leave the same color, I kinda like it! Gunna scrub the long and paint it and give it a reseal that I hopefully won't have to replace the head gasket or should I? I'm not going to build a speed demon just leave it pretty much stock with nice shiny bling for under the hood, ya know?. Now with the oic's, enjoy!

I don't know why it looks blue in these pic's but it is not, it's purple.

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0506.jpg

Looks real clean to me.

IMAG0492.jpg

IMAG0497.jpg

IMAG0501.jpg

Some of the broken things I'll need to fix.

IMAG0510.jpgIMAG0496.jpgIMAG0514.jpg

All the dead weight I have taken off.

IMAG0525.jpg

A little cleaner, next to remove all the pulleys, intake, exhaust, and start cleaning the block while I wait for my gaskets.

IMAG0531.jpgIMAG0532.jpgIMAG0533.jpg

Ok all, more oic's! Got to start some clean up on the motor, getting an idea of what will need to be replaced. I'm going to have the valve cover re-powder coated but I'm thinking I'll leave the same color, I kinda like it! Gunna scrub the long and paint it and give it a reseal that I hopefully won't have to replace the head gasket or should I? I'm not going to build a speed demon just leave it pretty much stock with nice shiny bling for under the hood, ya know?. Now with the oic's, enjoy!

I don't know why it looks blue in these pic's but it is not, it's purple.

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0506.jpg

Looks real clean to me.

IMAG0492.jpg

IMAG0497.jpg

IMAG0501.jpg

Some of the broken things I'll need to fix.

IMAG0510.jpgIMAG0496.jpgIMAG0514.jpg

All the dead weight I have taken off.

IMAG0525.jpg

A little cleaner, next to remove all the pulleys, intake, exhaust, and start cleaning the block while I wait for my gaskets.

IMAG0531.jpgIMAG0532.jpgIMAG0533.jpg

thats gonna be a tasty dish when served
  • 1 month later...

Where in TX you located? I'll be doing an sr swap in a b210 eventually. Also, don't trash that stock clutch fan as those things work amazingly well with the stock shroud for 240sx people (I doubt you'll be able to fit it into your 210). If you need spare sr20 parts, you should definitively keep an eye out on craigslist as I see part outs all the time.

Yes Cooch, it will be a mighty fine dish when I'm done. I'm in the DFW area Jaime and I have been keeping an eye on the CL. I thought I found some parts but the guy never sent me any pic's but I've had to put my project on hold for now till I get myself into a house. Once I do, I'll start stripping my 210 down to a bare shell with the start on the next year for a full ground up repaint and refresh

• 3 weeks later...

how was your tranny and has it found a home yet?

Ya kinda lost me on that one, the 5spd trans is fine, just needs cleaning, thinking about finding a 6spd if it will bolt up to my SR, as for a home, I'm getting the paper work all settled and then beings the move!

yo this website ( http://www.maddat.com.au/ ) has complete bolt-ons for 210 look under the sunny link. if i could find me something like that........dude. anyway send pic's of the road to Mt. SR.

Yesh! I found that site and even tho they are a bit pricey, Mad Dat are the guys I'm going to for all my SR swap needs! No worries, the pic's, shall be coming soon.