72 1200 sedan! Either way, Hello!

baggyspandex

You are welcome! First, if you plan on keeping the car.........then you can do things that are labor intensive and not worry about the resale. Look under the car at the floor boards to see if there is more rust holes hiding under the factory sound deadener. Mine had a but load when I started pulling it up. Spent hours and hours fixing it. I might have done overkill, but I ground the metal down after removing all the old stuff. Then rust treated it with rustmort, then metal, fiberglass and por 15. If you only have the one hole, just remove the old stuff, grind the metal clean, rust mort, then screw a peice of metal to it and por 15 the whole area. Its under your seat and behind a support, so not too much in the way of a load will be on it. Did you get ahold of morrisun for parts?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

It's looking good Baggy, do what RatDat said..

When I had my full size bronco, I had a cordless and corded drill with a wire brush attachment and did the whole floor and had my friend tig some of the holes up, but instead of por15, autozone or Kragen had some wanna be Line X / Rhino line and we did up the whole floor. It deadened the sound and it was pretty awesome cuz never really had to worry about water since we would go off roading around town. I cleaned up almost all of the putty but left a little,my suggestion is to do all the putty cuz I threw some car parts and it chipped the fakie line x stuff. Damn I miss my FSB

• 1 month later...

I hadn't seen this post till now. Funny story I went to look at this car in Kirkland 2-3 yrs ago & ended up buying a bunch of parts off the gal & not the car. She was asking $2200 I think :angel: :angel: delusional! $550's a deal, $2200 - insane.

I think for $80 bucks I ended up with Datsun floor mats, my clock, a bunch of taillights, side markers & some other stuff I cant remember off hand. they did a good job of painting everything on that car though.....

Let us know how its going & Good luck with the project!

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I haven't seen it yet, but he says it needs a little work. But, being as he's been taking the bus to work everyday for quite some time, I have a feeling that he actually wants to drive this.

Sounds like the brakes need a good bit of love, but hopefully once those are taken care of, he can daily it. :thumbup:

I will do my best to be a good influence and encourage to keep it mobile :angel:

• Like 1

Yep, I own this car now but Alex (BaggySpandex) is still going to be heavily involved with fixing it up. I have been lurking this thread all week and am eager to get her on the road. I know a few proud Datsun owners in town including Dat Wifey so hopefully I will be able to get this thing in tip-top shape. I think the first few goals I have is to get that bad hinge replaced (or perhaps the entire door) and get the brake pads changed.

As usual ggzilla is right. Stock brakes (in good condition) stop a 1200 pretty well. Replace anything that's obviously worn out. Definitely bleed the system thoroughly and be sure to adjust the rear shoes. They aren't auto-adjusting like more modern cars. Once you get everything right you'll be surprised how well it stops. If you feel the need, the Klotz brake upgrade is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. The only downside is that they don't fit inside stock 12" and 13" or most 13" aftermarket wheels. Rear discs look cool but aren't necessary at all.

Not to turn this into a sale ad, but you did ask: I have a set of "vintage correct" 13X6's with good tires and lugnuts. ZERO curb damage! $200 picked up west of PDX. Pm me if you're interested.

001-45.jpg

001-37.jpg

Be patent while removing the door panels. The door cards are basically cardboard and the clips will tear out of their holes if you get in a hurry. A trim removal tool or even a stiff putty knife is usually safer than a screwdriver.

Now, get us some more pics!

Would love to get these from you.

Hey folks, this weekend I had a chance to fully survey they project that is ahead of me. The weather has been garbage lately and I don't have a garage, so the work is going to be slow, but I am always up for a challenge. I snapped some photos, but overall it is pretty much in the same condition that Baggy Spandex left it in.

I am seeking out some new stuff so here is a list. PM me if you have anything pops up in the radar.

Cowl Tops- these seem to be pretty expensive and hard to find. I may try and fabricate my own.

13 or 14" wheels

a set of fender mirrors

New driver door (wishful thinking)

window latch (pictured) need drive side if that matters

Seats. Currently have seats that only fold back, would love some that fold forward.

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

photo.jpg

I have sedan doors used, with/without glass & regulator and (1) NOS drivers door, rear quarter panel window latch-left or right? MAY have stock seats, I haven't look at them in years, you really don't want stock seats- unless you are planning on rebuilding them-they are 40 years old and are most unpleasant to sit upon!

• 3 weeks later...

I scored a rear quarter panel window latch from Morrisun.

photo.jpg

Just a little change, but I am still happy that I made some progress. I am still on the hunt for a lower door hinge for the left side. I gotta do something with the space behind the seats as the board is missing, but I will probably end up fabricating one out of wood. image.jpeg

does anyone know if 280zx wheels will fit on this? I am looking at some right now, but i don't want to pull the trigger unless I am positive they will fit. 3G23F93I75E75K15H6cc67740a4f2d61e1f11.jpg

Unless they are dirt cheap, I wouldn't. I've scrapped a couple of sets like that. They are fairly heavy. Worth more as scrap aluminum than as wheels. :P

280ZX 6-spokes are cheap, light, and fit a 1200 fairly well (depending on tire size may stick out a tiny bit up front). :thumbup:

aly62142u.jpg

I don't doubt those came off a 280ZX, just saying they aren't OEM 280ZX wheels.