72 1200 sedan! Either way, Hello!

baggyspandex

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the site. I have some hub caps that will match the ones that are on the passenger side of your 1200. I think the one on the drivers side is what would have come as original equipment for a sedan and the ones on the right might have been original equipment for a coupe( I could be wrong, and I am sure someone will correct me....its what we do here :lol:) PM me on the caps if your interested. Go the Sedan!

Thanks guys! And thanks for changing the title and moving the thread, ]2eDeYe. Yes, this is definitely the most bang for my buck ive ever spent on a car. Today I spent the day cleaning the whip. I washed it, then got carried away taking the crap out of my trunk and interior. The previous owner gave me all these random parts that he collected but never installed so that'll be fun to dig through and figure out what works and what doesn't. I took out the seats, then ripped out the random square of carpet he laid in, vacuumed and just kinda cleaned the inside. No oics, sorry! It was dark by the time I thought of it. I'll take some in the morning when I drive my girlfriend to work. My brakes are completely shot, I drove through downtown seattle today and almost rolled into an intersection at the bottom of a steep hill with my foot to the floor on the brakes. So my question to you fellow ratsuner's is: What are the easiest and simplest things I could get for my brakes to give me a little more stopping power without breaking the bank? I would eventually like to have full disc's all around, but am not sure how hard or expensive that'll be.

My thoughts in my head are:

New pads and rotors up front, then maybe shoes for the rear and bleed the lines? If theres an easy way to upgrade to discs I would love to do that, but I feel like I need a whole new rear brake housing from another datsun? Now I feel like Im being lazy and will go search around.

The other thing thats driving me crazy is the door. While I love the custom-ness of my good ole fashion door hinge, It is super sketchy and I cant roll down the window, and the lock is busted. Anyone got an old driver door they can send to a good home? haha I called around a few junkyards to no avail, but havent tried feltons in snohomish yet.

Thanks for all the compliments! I've had 2 240's one s13 and one s14, this is definitely already more fun and classic. Feel free to suggest mods and things I should do, I'm all ears.

ggzilla, 73 you say? haha better notify the dmv....it says 72 on the title. Rocky, whoever you are, I'm sorry you no longer have your datsun and I do now, I hope I can breathe new life into this beast and give her the proper revamp she deserves! Thank you for caring for her, and the tow hitch is cool I already got a hitch bike rack and I love it.

As for hubcaps, I think I'd like to put a more modern sized wheel on, 12" seems a little small nowadays. As for wheel upgrades, what is a good offset for these cars? I would like to run some 14" panasports or something.

I cant say thanks enough! RATSUN IS RAD

As far as oics are concerned, a little off-topic, I will leave you with my latest project build, my FGFS bike, which will now be in tow on my ratsun all the time. I ride for a local bike shop doing tricks, so if anyone local would like to trade bike work for datsun parts, lemme know! haha

IMG_5244.jpg

the s110 rear end fits a 210 and i think the 210 is the same width as the 1200. that would give you rear disk brakes, the 280zx is a common upgrade for the front brakes... but it seems kind of overkill for an a12 motor. if i were you id first focus on picking up a good used a14/15 to throw in there to give it a little more pep. they are cheap and would just be a day of work to install

the s110 rear end fits a 210 and i think the 210 is the same width as the 1200. that would give you rear disk brakes, the 280zx is a common upgrade for the front brakes... but it seems kind of overkill for an a12 motor. if i were you id first focus on picking up a good used a14/15 to throw in there to give it a little more pep. they are cheap and would just be a day of work to install

Nice 1200, and a killer price.

As ggzilla has said before, for the front Mklotz's caliper upgrade is probably the best bet for price and ease of use: http://community.rat...grade-mklotz70/

I think someone said it earlier but head over and check out the 1200 tech wiki:

http://datsun1200.co...00_encyclopedia

Oh and the doors and window regulators are different from the fastback to sedan (about an inch shorter on the fastback). So you need the sedan door.

edit: just saw I got ninja'd by ggzilla ninja.png on the link

Edited by Dguy210

That 280z disc swap sounds awesome. I'll probly do that later on. For now, $14 brake pads at oreilly will probly help alot. and i dont have nor do i want to have $600 to spend on panasports, thats more than i paid for the whole car! i'd rather get some random 14's from a fellow ratsun member (hint hint anyone hit me up with anything) and put tires on those.

ggzilla a $20 door hinge sounds amazing. That would motivate me to take all the panels out and try to pound out some of the crinkles in the body too.

I think next up tomorrow before work is to tackle the engine bay, clean it up and try to hook up my heater and stereo. Maybe take my door panel off and try to get my window to work. Anyone got tips on taking the door panels off without damaging anything? I haven't really tried yet though so it may be easy, excuse my laziness.

As far as good noobing, haha Ive been around a few forums in my day, and It was refreshing to come on ratsun and have people be welcoming and helpful rather than hating on me for not knowing every exact detail of every little thing. You guys all seem cool and I just wanna chill and work on rad ratsuns

As usual ggzilla is right. Stock brakes (in good condition) stop a 1200 pretty well. Replace anything that's obviously worn out. Definitely bleed the system thoroughly and be sure to adjust the rear shoes. They aren't auto-adjusting like more modern cars. Once you get everything right you'll be surprised how well it stops. If you feel the need, the Klotz brake upgrade is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. The only downside is that they don't fit inside stock 12" and 13" or most 13" aftermarket wheels. Rear discs look cool but aren't necessary at all.

Not to turn this into a sale ad, but you did ask: I have a set of "vintage correct" 13X6's with good tires and lugnuts. ZERO curb damage! $200 picked up west of PDX. Pm me if you're interested.

001-45.jpg

001-37.jpg

Be patent while removing the door panels. The door cards are basically cardboard and the clips will tear out of their holes if you get in a hurry. A trim removal tool or even a stiff putty knife is usually safer than a screwdriver.

Now, get us some more pics!

• Like 1

DRIVEN, I would love to get those wheels off you. Are you including the tires in this little deal? biggrin.gif That would be awesome!!! I have mondays and tuesdays off wanna meet up this monday?! haha im ready. I'll pm you also.

I got the driver door panel off, and put one of the layers of old carpet back in, I wanna get new carpet but for the time being this works. I read a little about fatmat, anyone know if theres a huge difference between fatmat and dynamat? My friend works at best buy and they have dynamat there and he gets a discount so i'm tempted to just get a roll and put it on the metal under some new carpet.

Heres my broken hinge:

photo1ccj.jpg

photo2nui.jpg

dash:

photo21hl.jpg

photo7ye.jpg

mess under my steering column:

photo4-1.jpg

Empty door panel:

photo8.jpg

So my rear turn signals dont work, anyone know the best way to clean this gunk off the contacts instead of having to get a whole new housing?

photo14.jpg

There's also alot of paint in spots that there shouldnt be... if anyone has replacements that would make my life easier...I feel like alot of time with paint thinner is about to be had...

photo26.jpg

photo23.jpg

photo22.jpg

last interior gripe, my rear left window is latch-less, it bumps open when i close the door and people can just open it at thier will, anyone have a latch laying around?

photo19.jpg

thats it for oics, will post more when i do more stuff. DRIVEN I really wanna meet up

DRIVEN, I would love to get those wheels off you. Are you including the tires in this little deal? biggrin.gif That would be awesome!!! I have mondays and tuesdays off wanna meet up this monday?! haha im ready. I'll pm you also.

Yup. Wheels, tires, center caps, lugnuts (1 missing).

If by "meet up" you mean pick them up at my house in Hillsboro then they're yours. I can be available most any time. PM me for contact info.

I may have a pair of latches too - at least I used to. I'll have to do some digging.

DRIVEN I really want those wheels just gotta find time to get to PDX! Ill let you know as soon as I can. And yes by meet up I mean I wanna come over and get them and a latch would be the cherry on top.

I got my window rolling up and down correctly, and the locks both sorta work now! Exciting stuff. I bought a new piece of carpet at lowes for super cheap yesterday. Also got a roll of rubber, was thinking it will make a decent sound and water barrier under the carpet. Should I glue down the rubber with some spray adhesive to the bare metal or just lay down the carpet on top and let gravity do its thing? I'll probly tackle that install sometime this weekend.

So the factory heated rear window switch doesn't seem to do anything ggzilla, is there supposed to be those little defrost wires in the rear glass because of that switch? I dont have any either way...

Hit me up if you have 1200 grill or emblems for sale, I would love to get rid of these blue ones.

I started looking around at a12 stuff, anyone have suggestions for first mods I should start? I was thinkin about a dog leg 5 spd, then maybe some new exhaust cause mines rusted out and hanging on by zipties...Or should I just live out this a12 and do a swap? I dont really care about heaps of power, just something reliable with some pep and a good base for a slow build. Maybe a L20B??

ALSO, I need some cowl top grilles. If you know of a good place to get some, or have some your willing to ship and sell to me I would greatly appreciate it!

I don't think I'd glue the rubber down because it might have a tendency to trap water. I think it's natural for new 1200 owners to immediately want to start upgrading/changing things right away. My suggestion would be to get it in reliable DD condition and put some serious miles on it before you do anything major. You might be surprised how much you start to like it in stock configuration once everything is working right. While it isn't as sporty or popular as the 510 or the Z, I truly believe the 1200 is a better car. It's simplicity makes it super reliable and almost indestructible. Having owned many different Datsun models I can tell you they the most trouble free -- hands down.

• Like 1

Thats kinda the plan. I didnt mean I was going to do a swap anytime soon, but my exhaust system is falling apart and I dont want to get a whole new exhaust for the a12 if im just gonna do a swap in a few years and need another one that fits. I might just try to repair my exhaust with some sheet metal.

Inside my doors the back of the outer door panel has a thick layer of bumpy stuff (insulation?) that has slowly been chipping off and falling into the bottom of the door. The areas underneath where the stuff has already fallen off is rusting. Whats the easiest and best way to stop this? its inside the door so sanding it seems like it will be a bitch! I can get pics if I didn't explain it well enough.

Scrape all the putty off and clean out the bottom insides of your doors. They have drain holes and that should be enough. As far as any parts you need, hit up Doug ( Morrisun ) he has tons of stuff and is pretty easy to deal with. If you dont have any door panels, use the corrigated plastic at Lowe's or Home Depot, its light and you can just screw it to the existing door panel clip holes. Lowes has a form of dynamat that ( Wayno ) turned me onto and its petty inexspensive. Its in the tar, roof fixing section and comes in a roll for about $17 bucks. Good luck! And since you live in Seattle, go visit ggzilla and let him see your wiring. He is super cool and knows just about evrything to do with Datsuns.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks RATDAT3! I started to clean the putty out of my doors and cleaning the floorboard and whatnot, then I took out my seat and found a hole that leads to the concrete! ahhahaha i wonder how long thats been there. My idea is to find someone with a welder, then cut out the rust, pound out a piece of sheetmetal to fit the hole, then weld it in. Anything I should NOT do in that equation? Heres a pic of the hole.

photo4hr.jpg

Also, I went over to my grandparents house, my grandpa had like 3 rolls of this stuff layin around, he gave it to me, I think im just gonna lay this down instead of rubber or fatmat. This was free!

077578023335xl.jpg

Thats about it, I really just wanna fill in the hole before I do anything else.

Heres my gutted interior just for fun

photo3mh.jpg

photo2btt.jpg

photo1oik.jpg