81 B310 Wagon

Keithj

Hey everyone just a quick intro and pictures. My name is Keith and I live in Ohio. I have been a vw head since before I had my license and I was in need of change. I was sold on a 210 wagon for its completeness and unprojectness of it. She is such a beauty I feel bad exposing it the salts of Cleveland. The car was from Washington and I have seen the light and never want to bother with a car from the rust belt ever again. Sporting an a15 and a 5speed with 150,000 it wont be winning any races anytime soon. Picked up some 14x8's and working on finding some zx struts and I will be in business. If the a15 does ever leave me stranded a SR is sure to be the next but it is so damn original I hate to do any hard to change back mods. Pics will be up soon. Also are these transmissions supposed to be noisy?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Keith!

Sporting an a15 and a 5speed with 150,000 it wont be winning any races anytime soon.

You might be surprised! There are some pretty quick A series cars killing stock Honduhs. lolol

If the a15 does ever leave me stranded a SR is sure to be the next but it is so damn original I hate to do any hard to change back mods.

Don't hold your breath. They rarely ever die unless abused!

Pics will be up soon.

Hurry up before everyone else wakes up! We're all pic whores.

Also are these transmissions supposed to be noisy?

No sir! Check your fluids. GL-4 yellow metal safe ONLY!!

So I cant post pictures it must be one of those minimum number of posts to post pictures. here is a link for now. If the tranny is in trouble i have no idea where I will find another. WIll get some fresh fluid tomorrow. I found recent receipt which says tranny fluid was changed... Dont know with what. Any particular brand names come to mind that will be good?

b310

I got your pic below man. Try hosting from photobucket.

Drain and refill with FRESH fluid. If it was incorrectly filled with GL5, then the corrosive sulfur will eat the brass parts.

I use Pennzoil GM Synchromesh in the yellow bottle. It's yellow metal safe. I think about 2 of those quarts should top it off. You can buy it for about $7 a quart @ Autozone.

12-2.jpg?t=1329281053

Picasa allows linking. You just need the copy the picture URL (which ends in '.jpg') and here on Ratsun use the Image button (picture.png)

Yep, 210 5-speeds are whisper quiet and smooth shifting. If both shifter boots are good you shouldn't hear anything. Your gearbox might be worn out. If changing the oil doesn't quiet it down, replace the gearbox bearings now before the gears start chipping.

Picasa allows linking. You just need the copy the picture URL (which ends in '.jpg') and here on Ratsun use the Image button (picture.png)

Yep, 210 5-speeds are whisper quiet and smooth shifting. If both shifter boots are good you shouldn't hear anything. Your gearbox might be worn out. If changing the oil doesn't quiet it down, replace the gearbox bearings now before the gears start chipping.

Is that a diy job or is there a bunch of tricky alignment things that will show themselves only after it is fully assembled and back in the car?

It's easier than rebuilding an engine. But both require precise measurements and careful fitting of shims. When the gearbox bearings wear enough, the gears will come out of the proper alignment and start chipping. The proper alignment is given by the new bearings, there's nothing to it. It's the end play that requires the shims, similar to how you are supposed to measure thrust bearing play on a engine crankshaft.

very nice wagon man!! keep the old dattos alive!!

Thanks!

Bad news though it is not tranny fluid. Looks like My "non project" is quickly escalating. Makes a dull whine in every gear but 4th. I have yet to crawl underneath to see which 5 speed i have (53 or 60 from what i read) but where does one find bearings. Obviously I need to know which transmission I have first but I found a few bearing kits on ebay for modest prices for other datsuns or is there a magic datsun store this side of the pond(or is it lake as it is the pacific?).

i wouldn't buy a bearing kit. instead examine each bearing and any that are bad, buy from a bearing supply store for a few bucks each. Dont' tell them what it is for, just give them the bearing number you need. the number is stamped on the bearing. Or buy them from Nissan for $20 each.

If it is just a dull whine, I wouldn't bother to fix it.

First "road trip" from cleveland to columbus. Wasn't terrible. Have to figure why it likes to wander on the highway. About the same amount of power as my tdi in limp home mode. On the way back I had dirty thoughts of swapping a tdi engine in it. About 30 miles to gallon. Anyone know of a good set of lowered struts for the rear of the wagon? The scaryiest part of the trip is when I decided to check the brake fluid in columbus and saw a murky syrupy fluid that no longer looked like brake fluid. I quickly closed the lid and attempted to forget about it every time I pressed the pedal. That is on the top of the list.

Have to figure why it likes to wander on the highway

Because it's a Datsun! If you dial in more castor it will stop wandering. But since castor is non-adjustable you have to modify it. See Caster section which is about the B110, but same exact applies to B310.

If your wheel alignment is out, it will also wander. Or if one of the front tires has a broken belt. Run your hand along the outside of the tire sidewall to check for that.

Go ahead and swap it, Datsuns love VW-group engines. A favorite is the 5V four-cylinder engine.

3286.jpg

Comparing a 210 engine to TDI is like apples and watermelons:

* TDI is 10 years newer design than the 210. Well so is a Nissan SR20DET engine.

* TDI engine is fine and TDI car only cost $20,000 more than a 210.

What TDI are thinking of? They should all be getting more than 40 at full throttle in a 210. New TDIs with EGR are still getting 45-55 (look at a Jetta).

I love the TDI or the Turbo Diesels (they are different, as one is Turbo Direct Injection, and the other is indirect injection). Money will get you a 300hp/300ft-lbs diesel.

Though for a 210, a KA should get 30mpg in it.

I would only TDI swap a Datsun truck.

What about using the Nissan YD25DDTI -- RWD turbo diesel?

Ha, it might be easier/cheaper to do a tdi swap. Plus there is that whole issue of, oh no my____ broke I guess I can just go to ebay and have it shipped from japan...

More news the tranny sounds more and more like a rockcrusher in the low gears and this along with my vow to not mod the a15 I begin a search of a more modern transplant.

Really thinking something small with an aluminum block but with readily available parts. The KA seems to be the best initial bet as I have never driven any rwd car with any amount of power before I would prefer not to wreck within my first week of the swap.

And a bummer in the old school revolutions I bought three are legit two are knocks offs. It is hard to tell but now that I know it will bug me to no end.

• 3 weeks later...

New rimmage! more pics to come. Auto update is poor on my android so I have to pull the card to pull pics. More to come. I think that is the only way to keep you guys interested. Maybe I will make a project thread.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=picasacid?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=picasacid?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

IMG_20120223_203657.jpg