Wanting to swap a LS1 in my 78 210 hatch

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're so worried about junkyard brake upgrades and the price of an SR, you really shouldn't bother with the LS1. Sell or trade one of the LS1s to a drift guy, he may have an SR or at the very least a KA for you to boost.

my thoughts exactly

My next Datsun V8 swap is an LS1 into a 240Z.

6269300032_medium.jpg?v=0

6269300033_medium.jpg?v=0

6269300043_medium.jpg?v=0

6269300034_medium.jpg?v=0

6269300035_medium.jpg?v=0

Now this is a cool V8 swap and the Z car is probably the best Datsun to use for a V8 swap. The engine compartment is huge and easily fits the LS1 and the T56 six speed. I love my LS1 powered Z car and it provide exhilarating acceleration and power and handles quite nicely even with the extra weight. Most of the added weight is from the trans and that is far back in the chassis and very low so it actually helps the F/R weight bias. The car has provided 30+ MPG on more then 3 road trips and has been very reliable. The car with a stock 2002 LS1 makes 340 RWHP and runs the 1/4 mile at 12.8 which is very traction limited. I have done 7 track days in the car and it does well at the track too.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Check out this chevy Z! This is a 1/4 mile track car!!!

you guys are putting alot of effort into talking about something that will never ever ever happen

Totaly doable, I am not going to go thru every step in chassis mods, but I do have pics...

ronfellowschassis1sm.jpg

Good luck, and post pictures :lol:

its definitely doable, but i think these swaps that are destined to be completed are generally posted on chevy websites with people yelling "git er done" while waving the reb flag and crying when the kid with a stump hand farts the national anthem at a highschool football game. oh yeah, and welcome to ratsun

If you're so worried about junkyard brake upgrades and the price of an SR, you really shouldn't bother with the LS1. Sell or trade one of the LS1s to a drift guy, he may have an SR or at the very least a KA for you to boost.

I'm not worried about the brake upgrade I was just wanting options I might still buy the stainless steel brake upgrade for it, on the SR swap its not that its that much money its just money for a motor that makes 150ish horsepower and probably won't do a whole lot better on fuel or be near as fun to drive but all withstanding it is looking like at the end of the day thats the direction I'll be heading in but I am going to try to fit an LS in it first before I concede to defeat

you guys are putting alot of effort into talking about something that will never ever ever happen

I know you don't know me at all but its a little harsh to just completely rule out any chance of this happening.....just as a joke I wan't to say something that my dad always told me "never assume you always end up making an ass- out of -u-and-me"

its definitely doable, but i think these swaps that are destined to be completed are generally posted on chevy websites with people yelling "git er done" while waving the reb flag and crying when the kid with a stump hand farts the national anthem at a highschool football game. oh yeah, and welcome to ratsun

wow, now can you tell us how you really fill about this. And try not to hold back so much this time lmao......and thank you for the welcome

• Like 2

I'm not worried about the brake upgrade I was just wanting options I might still buy the stainless steel brake upgrade for it, on the SR swap its not that its that much money its just money for a motor that makes 150ish horsepower

I think those fellas were recommending the turbocharged version. ;)

It's 205hp stock, can get to 300hp with mild mods, and 400-600hp with serious mods. :cool:

ok so I'm reading up on the SR20 and I have to say it looks nice

I would say it ranks for top 3 4cylinder motors. Subaru motors can make some serious power; Mitsu 4G64? (maybe 63?) also can make grips of power; and the SR20... and all while being fairly reliable.

Wiring, easy. Nissan uses separate engine ECU's. Just gotta supply power at the proper spots and timing (batt, acc, ign, start).

I know it seems like a down grade from a LS1, but really, the SR is gonna be able to put out more power than a B210 can handle well (hooking up). LS1 torque would scare me. I love the LS1 motor for what it is, super powerful in stock trim, fairly light, and gets decent mileage. But in a b210, It just seems like it would be a boat anchor to me. You hear guys who swap to VG30 motors say handling took a slight hit, and that motor/tranny combo is pretty light itself (touted as the lightest 3L v6 when it came out).

Yeah the more I read on the SR20 the more I like, I've had some experience in my young years with a 4g63, it was fun made some serious power with cams and a turbo upgrade and from what I'm seeing the sr20 would be as fun or funner with some small upgrades. I'm going to keep reading and hunting up a deal to good to be true before I get excited about this but I do like the size and fun potential with this little motor deal

The more you talk about the SR20, the less likely the LS1 swap will ever happen ... LS1 is a mere 305 or 325 HP.

lol, well much like the SR20 LS1's are easy to add power to and the one that I had planned to use has an LS6 top end and a an ASA cam and runs pretty good its more than likely in the 425,450hp range but I was going to put a LS6 or even an LS1 cam in i if it goes in the little Datsun. But!!!! I know, know the weight and size are going to be a deciding factor in this....and I'm still not totally sure I wont run a 4.3 if the LS won't fit

I know you don't know me at all but its a little harsh to just completely rule out any chance of this happening.....just as a joke I wan't to say something that my dad always told me "never assume you always end up making an ass- out of -u-and-me"

sorry dude, i didnt mean to insult you, you just gotta understand that tons of people come here making these types of threads. sometimes they get as far as pulling the motor but usually dont even make it that far. as you can gather from all the other posts its alot of work for a car that handles like pants. you seem cool enough though, go for the SR and enjoy :)