Alternator identification

I saw a ton of these little alts at the swap meet. Came home and found that I had one on the shelf already. I'm pretty sure I saw a nissan tag on one at the meet. Mine has no markings, other than the ND for NipponDenso. The on on the left is a normal sized alt off the Pulsar.

Can anybody tell me a year/model so I can buy a new one? Thanks!! :)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hhmm...just googled ND alternator, single groove pulley and look what I got.

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/alternators/alternators.html

hhmm...honda does make sense.....probably a left over from one that came through here years ago. I used to do a lot of repairs for other people...could have come off my kid's '85 honda.

Anyway....super small, plenty of power for a datsun and the price seems pretty dang nice too!!!!

It's going to be perfect for the NL since I have to fab a bracket for the E1 anyway! :)

Thanks Hainz.....you got the grey matter moving enough to find it. Didn't even dawn on me to google it since I was already convinced it was a Nissan alt. Read the siggy!!!! :)

looks like they were used in Toyotas too. I've found the alt, but not with the single groove pulley. True, the pulley can be changed, but it would be easier if I can find it with.

Here's an interesting page that just happens to use this alt for demo purposes.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/alt_bwoh.pdf

After spending way too much time doing research online....I found that these are a really common size of alternator! Tons of Hondas and Toys use them as well as Mitsu and Nissans.

I picked another one up at the s/y off of a '85 Civic, but it has a 3 groove pulley on it. I can swap the pulley no problem, but I'd like to find the application that already has it. I took it to have it tested at the same place I had the first one tested.....they didn't have a 3 prong plug to connect it with.....which means the dumbass the day before didn't actually test the first one :(

I did learn some good info from this parts guy. The 3 prong plugged alts, like the one above and the one I pulled are 55amp units used on the carb'd cars. The 4 prong ones are the 60A ones used on the FI cars.

So...55A on the E1 in the NL will be plenty!! Oh...they're only about $80 new as opposed to the 60A unit which is closer to $120 new. 5A isn't worth $40!!

Anyway.....I guess this is it until I actually find the match. The mounting info will be in a 320 thread.

Crap!! While searching for a better price on the alt...I came across a note on the RockAuto site that said "CounterClockwise". WTF?? While reading the manual for the civic...yep..had one on the shelf along with the other 60 manuals!.....I verified that the motor did indeed turn the alt CCW. SloDat and I agreed that it wouldn't matter electrically if it turned CW, but I looked inside the bugger with a light and the dang internal fans need to go CCW! Back to square one!!!! Oh well.

Not really...there's plenty of space. Partly cosmetics....a huge GM alt hanging off the side of a tiny E1 would not look good. Plus, the bigger the alt, the bigger the rotating mass inside it......the more it will hinder my throttle response. I don't need anything huge amps available, so why not put a nice small alt in? But.....I suppose I could go big since that EI upgrade should add...what?....about 1hp?! :)

I'd like to find it too since I think a 50-60amp alt in the wgn is really all it needs too. The smaller size can't hurt either. We'll see. The one off the honda is actually bigger than the first one I had, but still plenty small enough.

So I did some more digging at the s/y yesterday. Put 3 alts behind the seat of a 521....cause who's gonna look in a 521??? Went back later with the Honda alt to exchange it...one of the alts was gone! WTF?!! Checked the cars around it and didn't find it. The one that was missing was the smallest one out of a Chevy spectrum(Isuzu 1.5). It was really small like the one I have, but it has Mitsu labels on it. I made a call and found out it was a 45 amp unit. Still big enough, but it was way over $100!!! Plus it would have been really hard for guys to find one in the s/y anyway. The other two were from an '87 Festiva, which had the single groove pulley on it already. Again, only 45amp and a good bit over $100.

So...the last one was off a Toy Celica....it's a CW rotation....it's only about $80. Very easy to find and pull at the s/y...it's right on top of the motor and the ears have the orientation that I was looking for. The only downside to it is that it has a 5 groove pulley on it. The upside, according to a check online, it's a 70amp unit!! I'll see if I can swap the pulley from the other one I have.

I had those two and my small one tested and the only one that worked was the Toy one.....so it wins my vote! I'll exhchange the other one in the next couple of days for another Toy one so I'll have a spare.

I didn't find any Justy's at the yards. The way they have them setup now makes it a real PITA to find the cars you want. I miss the days of each make having their own section. The only plus is that the cars get rotated faster so they're not near as picked over. I'm sure the change is because Schnitzer Steel bought up the Foster UpullIt stores so they need to be able to rotate them faster since the s/y is only a stopping point for them to make a few extra $'s before they reach their real fate....the crusher. It does mean that the Foster chain is now taking ANYTHING ....as in...this is the first time ever I've seen an old datsun 521 in any Foster store. Anyway...