How To: Nissan Sentra Electronic Ignition for your L-series

kneesamo

Question for the smartys in this thread... I have a couple of the E12-80 ignition modules, and I'm building an L20b...

But I've got a Pertronix II setup for it with the original dizzy. What's the advantage to the modded Sentra dizzy with the matchbox module?

Thanks, and sorry for the dips*** question! :lol:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, this Sentra Dizzy does not use the matchbox module.

Now, the Sentra Dizzy should be equivalent to the matchbox, spark wise (the dizzys are different due to different weights and vacuum advance)

What I have read in my research is that the Pertronix is not high voltage like the Sentra or Matchbox.

High voltage system should allow for a hotter spark/larger gap.

And finally Matchbox/Sentra units seem to be more reliable as the modules dont seem to go out.

• 2 weeks later...

I needed to go to Las Vegas last week, so I stopped by a few junkyards while I was out there to track down a distributor base to mill down so that I could use a Sentra distributor on my 710.

All of the 4-cyl L-series Datsuns at the yards that I visited were once matchbox-equipped, though all of the distributors had been nabbed.... but whoever removed the distributors left the pedestals. It appears that the electronic ignition pedestals are a little different, with enough metal on the tab for the adjustment screw to allow another hole to be drilled and tapped.

IMG_20120310_194033.jpg

IMG_20120310_194013.jpg

Went to the JY, found a 85 Pulsar with E16, but there was no vacuum advance on the dizzy, and the electrical connector looked like 5 wires. Sad day.

Yeah all the ones on craigslist ( right now ) are either electronic or distributor got thrown away or lost.

Will..... i saw your post in junkyards just now and thought " maybe i should PM that guy " but i see your all over that action.biggrin.gif.Keep us updated on your progress also , if you could please..

Went to the JY, found a 85 Pulsar with E16, but there was no vacuum advance on the dizzy, and the electrical connector looked like 5 wires. Sad day.

Sounds like the original post will need to take this into consideration.

It appears that the electronic ignition pedestals are a little different, with enough metal on the tab for the adjustment screw to allow another hole to be drilled and tapped.

Have you been able to do this? I didn't think there was enough material to be able to drill tap an appropriate hole.

Also what type of pedestal was your motor originally equipped with? Or, what other pedestals do you have?

Any of them will work with enough enginuity. The question is, will you have enough adjustability in the end.

I haven't been able to make a trip to the shop to drill and tap a hole yet, but I think that there is enough aluminum to have a secure place for an adjustment screw. It would be a screw that is the same size as the tapped hole already in the pedestal - the curved slot in the distributor is pretty large, so I wouldn't have enough aluminum to secure a screw that big.

My car has a pedestal just like the one that you used in the photos in your post (points ignition, with a shorter tab for the adjustment screw and a large tab for the degree mark....) but it is a five-hour-drive away from me right now, so I just picked up another pedestal while I was in Las Vegas for a school trip. Electronic ignition pedestals were all that I could find!

I'll post up some pictures after I get a chance to do the machining.

Sounds like the original post will need to take this into consideration.

Have you been able to do this? I didn't think there was enough material to be able to drill tap an appropriate hole.

Also what type of pedestal was your motor originally equipped with? Or, what other pedestals do you have?

Any of them will work with enough enginuity. The question is, will you have enough adjustability in the end.

I haven't been able to make a trip to the shop to drill and tap a hole yet, but I think that there is enough aluminum to have a secure place for an adjustment screw. It would be a screw that is the same size as the tapped hole already in the pedestal - the curved slot in the distributor is pretty large, so I wouldn't have enough aluminum to secure a screw that big.

Yeah I think the datsun pedestals uses an M6 bolt, and the sentra distributor uses an M8.

My car has a pedestal just like the one that you used in the photos in your post (points ignition, with a shorter tab for the adjustment screw and a large tab for the degree mark....) but it is a five-hour-drive away from me right now, so I just picked up another pedestal while I was in Las Vegas for a school trip. Electronic ignition pedestals were all that I could find!

I'll post up some pictures after I get a chance to do the machining.

Right on!

For what it`s worth,,

.... i was thinking of cutting the bottom of pedestal, like the second one was done. Then cut enough material out to install steel plate with counter sunk bolts. And the it would give you more material to drill and tap ..or install a counter sunk bolt with a tack weld , coming up, so as to use a nut..

...for me finding a E dizzy base is alot harder than a dual points one that people throw away. but this should work on both..

example ...Red is steel plate ......and blue would be bolt or stud ..

aaaa1110000.jpg

But i have not found a distributor yet so no need to start chopping if nothing will ever come of it anyway..wink.gif

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a 84' Sentra Distributor along with the coil. Am going to see if a co-worker can machine it down 0.162. I already have a pedestal from a 620 that I will use.

Is the wiring the same as a Matchbox type? It's going on a 72' 510. Might of missed that part.

Well i finally got around to installing the new (old) Electronic Distributor. i couldn't get my buddy to machine it down the pedestal cause they have way to much work right now, so i took a chance myself and used a Bench Sander at the shop to remove the excess metal from the top of the pedestal. its not as accurate as a lathe but i manage to keep in between .005-.007 side to side with a total of about 0.170 removed. i don't think is a big deal since the round body of the Dizzy goes into the round collar of the pedestal and keeps it center, but do this at your own risk i take no responsability :sleep:

you can see the difference in height modified 620 vs stock 510

photo%25202.jpg

this is how the stock one looks, but you already know that!

photo%25201.jpg

this is the new modified 620. as you can see its pointed in the opposite direction. i'll explain why in the next pic. don't know if you can tell but there is no more place for the rubber O-ring

photo%25203.jpg

the Vacuum Advance is in a different place, so i couldn't get in its original spot. which actually worked better for me since my original spot for #1 spark plug was lower (as seen in pic) but now sits 180* closer to the valve cover since the whole thing had to be rotated 180*.

photo%25204.jpg

the wiring on the car was a bit messed up but i figured it out. there's still some other bugs with the car that am trying to work out (nothing to do with this) the car does feel smother.

I do recommend this for people on a Ratsun Budget cause i couldn't find the famous "matchbox" at the Junkyard and some guys were asking $190 for it local.

$28 for Dist, $5 for coil, $5 for pedestal and about $15 new cap and rotor.

think i might have to go snag some more of these set-ups before too many guys catch on to this! :devil: ha, ha, ha. thanks again for the great tip.

• 2 months later...

So I did some work, with the help of Klotz.

I will need to drop the oil pump to re-index the the dizzy.

Went to mKlotz's house Sunday. Put the pedestal on the lathe. First we shaved .1" off the top. Then we flipped it around and shaved .15" off of the bottom. This totals .25" or 1/4". The reason for so much was to account for the plate between the dizzy and pedestal, which makes for very easy mounting as shown below.

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG