510 out cornered by vw! how do i fix this calamity?

K, so heres my setup. front: techno toy tuning t/c rods. Troy Ermish tie rod ends flip flopped. (installed on the under side of the steering knuckle) 4 inch shortened struts. (shortest i could cut them and still fit the strut inserts) tokiko ilumina 5 way strut inserts. ground control coils 225lb spring rate. b210 steering box. (someone told me it has a better ratio) Rear: troy ermish coilovers 225 lb spring rate. poly urethane control arm bushings.

car is powered by ka24de with stock oil pan so no front sway bar. oh i almost forgot i am running 13s with 175/50 tires, you know the sumitomo ones.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

K, so heres my setup. front: techno toy tuning t/c rods. Troy Ermish tie rod ends flip flopped. (installed on the under side of the steering knuckle) 4 inch shortened struts. (shortest i could cut them and still fit the strut inserts) tokiko ilumina 5 way strut inserts. ground control coils 225lb spring rate. b210 steering box. (someone told me it has a better ratio) Rear: troy ermish coilovers 225 lb spring rate. poly urethane control arm bushings.

car is powered by ka24de with stock oil pan so no front sway bar. oh i almost forgot i am running 13s with 175/50 tires, you know the sumitomo ones.

You should probably spend all your time and money getting a faster more awesome powerful car, instead of practicing your skillz wink.gif

Next time you'll get whooped by a Honduh if you don't get your shit together.laugh.gif

twofinger_salute.giftwofinger_salute.giftwofinger_salute.giftwofinger_salute.giftwofinger_salute.giftwofinger_salute.giftwofinger_salute.giftwofinger_salute.giftwofinger_salute.giftwofinger_salute.giftwofinger_salute.gif

• Like 1

Skill is what makes a car corner. I have seen some crazy results from some under modified vehicles mainly on account the driver knows what he is doing. Not saying you dont. but powering through corners is majority ruled by the driver. but thats just my opinion.

Take user Boaty I have seen him do some crazy shit in his 510 and its all because of his skills as a driver. his 510 isnt modified to extensively in the suspension department.

seriously though skill aside, it sounds like you have some unbalanced issues. with that motor up there and no sway bar u not only have more roll, but more weight getting shifted over the left or right front corner. those little tires work better as a team not one at a time :P...

Also what is your rear setup? is it pushing out (understeering) or over steering most people prefer a bit more over steer. and your rear setup can have something to do with it. be sure to check your Toe-alignment also...

are you talking about freeway on ramps or mountain roads?

No no no guys...what he needs to do is go back and watch Fast n Furious Tokyo Drift...that's how you corner! You better watch it at least twice to make sure you don't miss anything!

clipimsdfage001xz0.gif

In addition

Triangulated ... strut tows bars ... key word ... triangulated ... functional ones not just flashy shit :lol: ... yes there is both kinds ... :lol:

Tire compounds .... tire type ... etc

No front sway bar .... :rofl: ..... get them ... :)

Make sure to brace the sway bar mounting points ... especially with a larger upgraded sway bar ... or say hello to a ripped frame very soon with constant hard fast cornering ( that is if it mounts to the frame.) ... it is only sheet metal afterall ... :lol:

Blab blab blab

seriously though skill aside, it sounds like you have some unbalanced issues. with that motor up there and no sway bar u not only have more roll, but more weight getting shifted over the left or right front corner. those little tires work better as a team not one at a time :P...

Also what is your rear setup? is it pushing out (understeering) or over steering most people prefer a bit more over steer. and your rear setup can have something to do with it. be sure to check your Toe-alignment also...

are you talking about freeway on ramps or mountain roads?

no understeer but it does feel softer in the front (probably from the heavier engine) almost makes me wish i got a stiffer rate in the front. had my car on the alignment rack with all those listed upgrades installed rear toe was fine, rear camber was a couple degrees neg but its honestly not that slammed. the ermish coils are cranked to the top. (plenty of shock travel) i was able to adjust the front to spec. i agree with you on the tire working as a team, i am in definite need of at least a front sway bar but how thick to go? and will it clear my oil pan? as far as the corners go its just a flat windy road by my house.

Stop granny shifting!!

VW's are fast, and weigh less than 510's sometimes! He probably had a nice suspension setup.

Seriously, what type of tire are those 175's? I went from 175 street compound to "high performance summer" 195 tires and it made a huge difference in handling and braking.

Those ones you have do not sound as bad as the ones I was running.

As mike said those KA's are heavier, need stiffer spring rate in front.. most tuned front engine cars have softer rate in the back. I'm no expert but it makes sense to me to tune the rate depending on the F/R weight distribution.

The more negative camber the less the tires like to grip, try raising it up a bit and it will probably handle better. For the IRS 510's there are some weld-on camber brackets to get camber out of the rear while being low. Would be worth it for the handling.