74 620 V8 AutoX

Cpl620

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill have to sell the UZ I already have. is there a change between the pre and post 07 engines?

Edit: variable intake valve timing. Good to know. Ill just get an early model one since I dont want that mumbo jumbo.

That mumbo jumbo and direct injection in the '12 and later QX56/M56 makes 400+ hp stock.  There's loads of the new QX's on the roads, which means loads of them hitting salvage yards soon.

• Like 1

been thinking between classes, and figured out the highth in relataion to the strut towers. since finals are next week though, ill probably have to resist the urge to go out and work on the truck this weekend. :hmm:  i think im going to keep the UZ as well since i dont need such a large powerplant for AutoX. i should only need 500HP max which is simple with a super charger slapped on, plus the UZ weighs in over 150lbs less than the VK. now i need to find a pipe bender...

on another note i think i found a replacement for the wheels. These are what i wanted to use..... coming in at a quote of $7500 for 4 wheels. ADV.1 - 6 track spec. since im not ballin enough for that and my last name is not foose or leno, ive found something else...

adv-1-track-spec-3pc-6ts-custom-painted.

The cosmis XT-206R for a over 6K cheaper at 300 a wheel.....and the same specs. just not 3 piece...

004_zpsab170717-600x600.jpg

• Like 2

Ill probably put it in the bed just for ease of access. With all the cross nrace I have going in I dont think ill find a spot in the frame.i coulf maybe get a small race tank, but I want a 15gal for road tripping to events and what not.

thats a 16g I have in the back of mine

• Like 1

the rear end is already pretty friggin strong, even more so with the suspension setup you have planned out. I'm going to go the oldschool-ish route with a 4-link rear end, that should ease some of my worries after I get a low geared beefy solid rear axle. ford 9"? lol

Youll have a lot of room with a 4 link. I had access to a free 9" when I started mine, that would be sweet for some monster of a ride. I Already was dead set on the idrs though. Ive Only seen one other guy on the FB page building one with a 9" right now.

calling it short this week, and not much done today. i got some 1-3/4 DOM for the towers yesterday, and cut all out the metal for the sub-frame mounting points today. i may go out monday and do some more if i finish everything i need tomorrow.

1424344_624550944257197_2124481982_n.jpg

935590_624550960923862_609432871_n.jpg

1098075_624550987590526_1783856487_n.jpg

1491734_624551014257190_1105192859_n.jpg

its cold outside......for cali...... low is 28.

1488882_624551034257188_960278297_n.jpg

• Like 2

thanks!im still up in the air about a bigger engine. i dont think i need it really, but we'll see. and go for it man! i hear a lot of talk about people doing this whole "swap", but ive only seen 4 other people that are doing or that have done it. (both front and rear.)

edit: post that thing up too! its cool to swap ideas that people use on their fab work. and seeing someone else suffer through all this measuring and grinding is always good. misery loves company?

yeah i hear that! my friend works for a Japanese importer of engines, front clips, suspension, you name it he probably has it in their warehouse so that should help me out when i need parts. sadly i cant start my build till next month, finishing up another 620 build for my father in law. gong to be a sweet christmas present!

hey im wondering though, are you going to do a tube front end? i know for sure the 5.0 exhaust manifolds will not fit with the steering column. better yet are you using the 240 steering linage and rack and all that? this is probably one of my biggest concerns i have for my build 

nice, that sounds like a great hook up. yeah, im using the 240 cross member, rack, and im going to tube the front.  on the 1UZ i know no manufactured headers will fit past the steering column on the 240. you have to cut and reroute one pipe, and then they fit. by the time i get that far i may just slap on a turbo and bypass the whole issue by running the exhaust forward. and then back down the passenger side.

yeah the whole turbo thing was a suggested by a friend to get rid of the exhaust problem, i have everything for it but im really not wanting too much power. i want something fun but i dont want to roast tires just trying to get on the freeway. oh i forgot to mention, im also doing a rhd swap. thats my big complication with this swap right now.