Painted Engine Bay

Jewosh

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which Color Do You Like Better?

• Old White
    • Satin Black

So once I pulled the motor, I decided it was time to paint the engine bay. A friend convinced me to do a satin black to offset the white car, plus it won't get dirty as fast biggrin.gif. I don't have the car totally done yet, but once I do there will for sure be pictures of the motor back in there and some of the other stuff painted. For now, its just the bay, pretty stripped.

Do you like the white or the black? The problem with keeping the white was that the previous owner had only done one coat of it and no clear blink.gif... So it was flaking off and some parts of it were worn through.

How it used to be

IMG_4972.JPG

How it looks now

IMG_5009.JPG

I'm also thinking of getting the valve cover powdercoated in crinkle white. The coil is white now too. Spark plug wires are going to be neon green.

Here is how it used to look all put together (this was before my yellowtop died and it got an oil leak that sprayed into the fan and covered the drivers side of the engine bay in oil)

Engine%25201.jpg

Completed car pics as soon as I finish!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in my car personally i want to go stock. its that offset white color that the 411 has. but once i swap a motor and get the fitment right i was also thinking of going the interior color whicjmh is also a burgundy kinda color. ive got plentty of rattle cans to play with.

more 68 goodness. i personally like the bay the color of the car. factory

Yup! It was a tough choice though. My problem was that I didn't know the exact color of the exterior and the bay was a slightly different off white, or at least it was when I pulled the motor since it had no clear on it...

in my car personally i want to go stock. its that offset white color that the 411 has. but once i swap a motor and get the fitment right i was also thinking of going the interior color whicjmh is also a burgundy kinda color. ive got plentty of rattle cans to play with.

That would look pretty sweet! When are you going to do that?

Yup! It was a tough choice though. My problem was that I didn't know the exact color of the exterior and the bay was a slightly different off white, or at least it was when I pulled the motor since it had no clear on it...

That would look pretty sweet! When are you going to do that?

its just a matter of time and money. but once everything is settled in the bay ill take it all out strip the paint down and get to work.

I agree with Laeceon. My engine bay used to be black, and it had always looked like a cheap half assed job. Decide on a body color first, and then paint the engine bay in a way that works with the body. A black engine bay on a white car wouldn't work too well. If the car will stay white, paint the engine bay white too. When I finally repainted mine I did it in a gray color that was a few shades off of the body's gray.

A friend convinced me to do a satin black to offset the white car, plus it won't get dirty as fast

I'm gonna throw in why I voted white.

First: I think the idea of satin paint in an engine bay is TERRIBLE! The reason is that satin paint stains way easier, and when it gets rub, it sometimes glosses up where it gets rubbed, but stays satin where its untouched. If you want an engine bay that looks clean no matter what, I would go with a metal fleck silver (my brother's Camaro is this color, and it looks clean no matter what).

Second. Also, if you think gloss black looks clean longer than white, you have clearly never owned a dark car. Holy crap, glossy dark colors are hard to keep clean. White's not great either, but it has other advantages (see below).

Third: there is a reason that most race cars have a white engine bays. If you have a leak, you can see it. If you drop a tool or a bolt, or whatever, it stands out.

That's not to say that a white engine bay can't look like crap, evidence: mine, and your before shot. But a freshly painted white engine bay, is clean and amazing.

When we raced our car, we had it white, it was a pain to keep clean Vs working on the car to go faster. Eventually we covered it with speckle paint. It was gray with white speckles. I think it was trunk paint for a Corvair? Did the interior that way also. No more wasted time on trying to make stuff look clean.

I've always like when the car matched it engine bay. Always looks clean inside. I agree with Laecaon "Black bays are like getting off easy" and thats why mine is "wrinkled black." I took the easy route because at the time, I couldn't find the exact same green my 510 was. Therefore, I just painted it black. blink.gif

almostc.jpg

I don't mind a little surprise when popping a hood. Even red with a white exterior can be dramatic. Body color is a more streamlined approach. Black is easy, but there is a reason most jewelry boxes are black, so the jewel pops (in this case your engine.)

But if you are going green with the valve cover, keep the rest of the bay subtle or match the engine color. (You don't want a Christmas tree under the hood.)

So I have no answer!

he didnt he converted a lhd one

my opinion is for the most part i like body color bays but my car has a bed lined bay

DSC04465.jpg

looks good and is really i mean really easy to clean just spraw everything in degreaser and hose off off