Dually Adapter Cleanup

Suspect

I bought some dually adapters off Radiant-Designer, btw thanks again Radiant... anyway they were caked with rust so I was cleaning them up getting them ready to use. I tried to wire brush on of them but I couldn't get it totally clean. I remembered my old friend The Works toilet bowl cleaner. I bought 8 bottles @ $1.22 each, poured them into a plastic container, and let the worst of the two adapters sit. So far its been an hour and a half.

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

After I get them cleaned up good, I'm going to paint them because they will rust fast.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

That is the exact same set (post #7) that I have on My dually project. I bought Mine years ago from Ted as well as the fenders.

How in the world do the other ones work ? ? ?

The adapters are put on after a stock 520/521/620 wheel is put in position on the drum, then you use these special long lugnuts to mount the adapter over the stock wheel and tighten them down, then another stock wheel is mounted on the outer plate/mount surface with the studs.

IMG_1113.jpg

This basically only works with the stock wheels, I have mounted other wheels with these type adapters, but the rims have to have the proper offset to work.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they made these adapters for Datsun and Toyota trucks, they look exactly the same, but the special long lugnuts have different threads if made for a Toyota, I have a set for Toyota that I used briefly, I changed the studs on my axles so they would work on my Datsun.

I now have 4 different ways to have a dually, (1)use a Nissan dually rearend, (2)use the adapters in the photo above, (3) use the aftermarket dually wheels in the photos in post #7, (4) or have adapters made to use dually rims on a stock rearend.

Here is my setup on the 1980 Datsun diesel dually, see the adapter in the center.

DSCN1662.JPG

Here is a little closer.

DSCN1658.JPG

And here is real close, you can see the holes that are used to hold the adapter on.

DSCN1660.JPG

I paid a small fortune to have these adapters made, if machine shop guys cannot put it into a computer, they can't do it, so I had to find some guy using old equipment(old school) to make them for me.

I had these adapters work themselves lose towing a 520 back from Bend, OR to Vancouver, WA(8 hrs of driving), I had no idea they were lose till I slowed down below 30mph and it started vibrating, they need to be checked often, the axle needs to be lifted off the ground to check them.