Projector Headlights

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Ben... your webpage hit one of my webmaster pet peeves! :P

When I click on a picture to get a larger view, God has decreed that the resulting image shall be large and beautiful! Instead, Jesus weeps at the SMALLER picture that results from clicking on the larger preview. :P

Anyways, looks like they're using a smaller version of what I stuffed to the backside of my H4 housings: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-HID-BI-xenon-Bulbs-Headlight-Projector-Lens-H4-6000K-/250898596338?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6ab8c1f2#ht_5893wt_908

Putting HID kits are going to be harder and harder with the DOT and customs cracking down.. I just had a shipment "detained"....

Lets see some LED headlamps that aren't $500 each....

So of the lamps on your site look like some DOT HID retrofit kits. I tried those on my 510 and they looked like crap. I'll dig up some photos.

We are in the process of switching over to OEM HIDs so it hopefully shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Do you guys feature white light for the driving light that is built into the housing?

Also how weatherproof is the backing on your housings? The roadster has buckets that aren't very deep, but I can easily make room but would need lights that could possibly be splashed directly with water.

The driving light is included. It is more of a blue light but it is easily replaceable. We are working on switching them to LEDs

Oh Ben... your webpage hit one of my webmaster pet peeves! :P

When I click on a picture to get a larger view, God has decreed that the resulting image shall be large and beautiful! Instead, Jesus weeps at the SMALLER picture that results from clicking on the larger preview. :P

Anyways, looks like they're using a smaller version of what I stuffed to the backside of my H4 housings: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-HID-BI-xenon-Bulbs-Headlight-Projector-Lens-H4-6000K-/250898596338?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6ab8c1f2#ht_5893wt_908

I know! The website is driving me crazy! A new one is in the works I promise! I'm shooting to get it out by end of Feb.

Thanks for the pictures. It helps a lot!

Glad I could be of some help. The glass lens fell of the US ellipsoid when I pulled it off the car but luckily I had a spare lens from one of my junkyard trips. It's death was not in vain :)

Euro left US right.

Not perfect but it's a decent approximation of the bucket. I did notice that when I measured the bottom of the bucket before I measured from the side to the inside of the lip part. When I measured the inside of the lip part with my cheapo caliper it measured 3 3/4" wide.

2012-02-02_14-49-40_381.jpg

I have a 620 and played around with the Ellipsoids. The problem with your picture is you have to cut them down (make them shorter) to fit the backside of the projector housing. Cutting these stock buckets to accept a wider body shortens the overall height which minimizes your ability to aim these correctly. There is not enough adjustment and the springs end up being too large. I modified my buckets to their frames and got them to work but could never aim them correclty to where I was satisfied. Misaligned headlights are BS just to get a look. If you can get HID's to fit in the stock buckets with the stock frames, I am interested.

No offense but your prototypes look lke those cheap EBAY kits. Lighting is a science not a look. What MM are the lenses, what is the refraction rate, how will you build the housings so they are waterproof and expel heat? You say H3 bulbs but the kelvin and lumens of these H3's performance wise has a lot to do with how the lens is designed or lense you pick, not the other way around. High quality conversions cost hundreds of dollars (and I'm not talking $3-400) and hours of R&D. Not saying you can't do it or don't know what you are doing but selling half ass kits will result in imminent failure and a traffic ticket. That said...I am still interested in the end product.

I have a 620 and played around with the Ellipsoids. The problem with your picture is you have to cut them down (make them shorter) to fit the backside of the projector housing. Cutting these stock buckets to accept a wider body shortens the overall height which minimizes your ability to aim these correctly. There is not enough adjustment and the springs end up being too large. I modified my buckets to their frames and got them to work but could never aim them correclty to where I was satisfied. Misaligned headlights are BS just to get a look. If you can get HID's to fit in the stock buckets with the stock frames, I am interested.

No offense but your prototypes look lke those cheap EBAY kits. Lighting is a science not a look. What MM are the lenses, what is the refraction rate, how will you build the housings so they are waterproof and expel heat? You say H3 bulbs but the kelvin and lumens of these H3's performance wise has a lot to do with how the lens is designed or lense you pick, not the other way around. High quality conversions cost hundreds of dollars (and I'm not talking $3-400) and hours of R&D. Not saying you can't do it or don't know what you are doing but selling half ass kits will result in imminent failure and a traffic ticket. That said...I am still interested in the end product.

None taken and actually you are right. That prototype picture is the original prototype V1 which used shitty projectors and is not up to par (we never sold it). That is why we have been modifying them with newer housings/pros to get the quality we want.

We do get that a lot with our other headlight. Unfortunately many people confuse our main kit This with This. That second kit is a POS with a fake projector. A high quality projector costs no less than $60 wholesale for the projector not including the housing. We work with a company that has developed many DOT approved projectors and has an extensive background in headlights. These particular headlights will not be DOT approved because there is no DOT approved projector that is the size we need them to be to fit in a 5 3/4" housing. (Remember we are trying to make them smaller than the BMWs). I'll tell you right now that the R/D cost is about $25,000 to $50,000 depending on different things including the mold costs.

Some members can chime in but we successfully built a 7" round kit that has been selling in the bunches and is the BEST production made kit out there that you can get for under $400. This beats cutting a hole in a headlight and gluing a projector in, buying a STARR kit that costs $1000 but is DOT legal (unless you have the budget), or putting cheap HIDs into a cheap halogen housing.

I say H1 or H3 and that it doesn't matter until we pick the projector because we could go either way. If we end up using a projector made for H1 then we choose H1 (vice versa). We only sell 3,000K (fogs) through 6,000K. None of that 15,000K stuff. We also offer DOT ballasts (add $125).

Please remember this isn't a DOT kit because people won't spend DOT prices. We are trying to find a balance between quality and price. Those familiar with our 7" round kit can attest to the quality.

Here is a picture of the cutoff which should speak for itself: _7156008.jpg_3675132_orig.jpg

Here is a picture of the "brightness" of the light when you look from above the cutoff line: giFjE.jpg

Thanks for your feedback. We really do appreciate any and all feedback (good or bad)!

PS I can get you those specifics if you want. (Projector Lens thickness, refraction rate, heat shield, housing material etc...)

sorry for crappy oics..

IMG00742-20120202-1632.jpg

IMG00741-20120202-1632.jpg

From battery to front

IMG00743-20120202-1633-1.jpg

Looks like it will be a tight squeeze with only 5". I think they are currently at 4.92"

The problem with your picture is you have to cut them down (make them shorter) to fit the backside of the projector housing. Cutting these stock buckets to accept a wider body shortens the overall height which minimizes your ability to aim these correctly. There is not enough adjustment and the springs end up being too large. I modified my buckets to their frames and got them to work but could never aim them correclty to where I was satisfied. Misaligned headlights are BS just to get a look. If you can get HID's to fit in the stock buckets with the stock frames, I am interested.

Those photos were of an unmodified bucket I had laying around from a parts purchase. The buckets on the car have been modified:

Stock left, modified right

DSCN2831.jpg

DSCN2832.jpg

From my understanding he was looking for information on stock buckets hence the photos of stock buckets.

This beats cutting a hole in a headlight and gluing a projector in, buying a STARR kit that costs $1000 but is DOT legal (unless you have the budget), or putting cheap HIDs into a cheap halogen housing.

My cheapies turned out okay; they just need to be rotated a smidge. :P

Actually I was pretty impressed by the chinese kit I got. Looks like a larger version of the center of your 7". I may make a new articulating cut off plate that isn't stepped, for use in the passenger side light, so my cuts look nicer; then again, I'm the only one who notices. :)

My cheapies turned out okay; they just need to be rotated a smidge. :P

Actually I was pretty impressed by the chinese kit I got. Looks like a larger version of the center of your 7". I may make a new articulating cut off plate that isn't stepped, for use in the passenger side light, so my cuts look nicer; then again, I'm the only one who notices. :)

Haha whatever works for you and is safe on the road. I'd be curious to see the lumens output on those guys

Haha whatever works for you and is safe on the road. I'd be curious to see the lumens output on those guys

I don't have a way of testing the lumens... although my neighbor might have a light meter I can borrow. But here's a couple pictures.

190086_1895107141650_1360731108_2160551_1993660_n.jpg

Standard H4 bulb on the left, HID on the right. I think this was in high-beam mode.

189668_1895106101624_1360731108_2160550_2629970_n.jpg

Low beams. I think the cut off is a little fuzzy because of how far back the lens sits from the glass of the housing, as well as the housing being mirrored. The cut off cleans up considerable if I put a piece of cardboard in front of about a third of the lens, which makes me think it's some reflection from the shiny surface.

184376_1901934232323_1360731108_2171425_4742539_n.jpg

Halos as running lights. :)

190121_1895093181301_1360731108_2160541_5203813_n.jpg

<----HID ..... H4---->

I've read varied reviews on those guys: Decent Bad

LED's will come soon enough.

Any chance for a 6x4 light in the near future? I'd so buy a set of those.

No unfortunately 6x7 is all we have right now. It is pretty hard fitting a projector into a 6x4. But we'll see.

Ben, I like you, the way you respond to everyone's questions, and seem knowledgeable on the topic. Makes me think think product will come out, and be a quality item. Cant wait to see what you are designing.

Thanks. I'm trying to keep up with everyone and all the forums. Basically, we are trying to create two sets of lights. One will be DOT approved and one won't.

The DOT approved set will look a little funky similar to our modern kit but much less protruded here

The non-DOT set will look like our classic kit here

It is honestly a lot of work and I'd like to see if I can get a group buy going to help cover the first order. (Will never ask for payment until a product is finalized and ready to be ordered). It costs more than $50k to build a DOT approved set and around $35k for a non-DOT set. Over on Hybridz, we were able to get about 40-50 guys together ~$10k to get the first shipment. Took us a year but it has worked out great. I'd love to repeat the process with the 5 3/4" for you guys. All the guys on Hybridz can vouch for us as well. I will never build/buy/sell a low quality product. We either do it the right way or don't do it at all.

Our newest dealer: GoMiata

I do have one question...

Are these Bi-xenon? Considering that the 7" rounds are primarily in cars that use them as both hi and low (and that your kits are Bi-xenon), I kinda figure these would be designed in a similar fashion.

And being DOT approved, well as a user, as long as my headlights arent blue (No I wont run 10k bulbs), I doubt I will get any attention because of them.

It is honestly a lot of work and I'd like to see if I can get a group buy going to help cover the first order. (Will never ask for payment until a product is finalized and ready to be ordered). It costs more than $50k to build a DOT approved set and around $35k for a non-DOT set. Over on Hybridz, we were able to get about 40-50 guys together ~$10k to get the first shipment. Took us a year but it has worked out great. I'd love to repeat the process with the 5 3/4" for you guys. All the guys on Hybridz can vouch for us as well. I will never build/buy/sell a low quality product. We either do it the right way or don't do it at all.

just a heads up, we dont allow any group buys for a product that hasnt been R&D/produced yet.

just a precaution because plenty of deals have gone south when people preorder and the R&D isnt even there yet much less a prototype and a year+ later theres nothing but excuses....

(not here, other forums. but thats why we have that rule)

make sure you have your R&D done and a functioning prototype thats ready for production before taking any pre orders.

It is pretty hard fitting a projector into a 6x4.
Aww. I guess it just depends on the projector. I was able to fit those BMW projectors in my truck in a fashion kinda similar to this but I fixed that nasty cutoff so it's much cleaner now. The only bad thing is that I had to use a shit ton of RTV to seal them up to keep out the dust and stuff. Guess I'll just have to invest in some HIRs then.

Oics:

DSCN0226.jpgDSCN0223.jpgDSCN0224.jpg

found the photos of the DOT approved HID/projector kits that I was looking into a couple years ago. the beam pattern was AMAZING on these. Just too bad it looked like a pair of tits sticking out of the grill... and these fit with NO modifications to anything..

DatsunProjector_DOT6.JPG

DatsunProjector_DOT.JPG

DatsunProjector_DOT2.JPG

DatsunProjector_DOT3.JPG

DatsunProjector_DOT4.JPG

DatsunProjector_DOT5.JPG

DatsunProjector_DOT7.JPG

just a heads up, we dont allow any group buys for a product that hasnt been R&D/produced yet.

just a precaution because plenty of deals have gone south when people preorder and the R&D isnt even there yet much less a prototype and a year+ later theres nothing but excuses....

(not here, other forums. but thats why we have that rule)

make sure you have your R&D done and a functioning prototype thats ready for production before taking any pre orders.

Exactly. I will have a few sets installed on cars to make sure it all works then start taking pre-orders. Like I said, we won't take any pre-orders until things are finalized and have already begun production. Thanks for reminding me. I'll PM you guys to get a green light before we even go anywhere near a group buy.

found the photos of the DOT approved HID/projector kits that I was looking into a couple years ago. the beam pattern was AMAZING on these. Just too bad it looked like a pair of tits sticking out of the grill... and these fit with NO modifications to anything..

DatsunProjector_DOT6.JPG

DatsunProjector_DOT.JPG

DatsunProjector_DOT2.JPG

DatsunProjector_DOT3.JPG

DatsunProjector_DOT4.JPG

DatsunProjector_DOT5.JPG

DatsunProjector_DOT7.JPG

The DOT version will look something like that but won't stick out nearly as far. I'll try and get some concept pics to get feedback before we proceed.

Exactly. I will have a few sets installed on cars to make sure it all works then start taking pre-orders. Like I said, we won't take any pre-orders until things are finalized and have already begun production. Thanks for reminding me. I'll PM you guys to get a green light before we even go anywhere near a group buy.

We deff dont want to discourage any development for cool shit for dattos but gotta make sure everything comes threw too :P

deff love that this stuff is getting made (Im interested in a set too)

a group buy is fine just as long as the product actually exists :rofl:

your more than welcome to after theres a functioning prototype thats ready for a production run.