Few funny lights on the dash

Not any big issue, but I'm failing to understand why they're acting like they are.

Brake light comes on whenever there's anything plugged in cig lighter.

Just noticed realized when I was reading about the LED conversion that my battery light and oil pressure light don't come on with IGN on and engine off. I've disconnected the oil pressure switch and have the same issue.

I checked the bulbs for continuity and verified they're good, and even swapped in a known good bulb and still don't work. Clean contacts and no sign of corrosion. Would rather not go fiddling with modifying something that doesn't already work.

Any input would be nice.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

have led all over my dash. Works just fine really. Its really dim though...

Dim is the only reason for upgrading mine. lol

I figure, If I go LED on every bulb short of the headlights, I'll have reduced current draw by a fair amount.

Volt and oil pressure lights are important blink.gif

Poltergeist

Call a Priest

Paging wildmanid laugh.gif

Brake light comes on whenever there's anything plugged in cig lighter

Mis-wired. The wire connected to the cig lighter is the wrong one.

my battery light and oil pressure light don't come on with IGN on and engine off

The bad part about this is you may not be warned when BAT or OIL isn't working.

The oil pressure switch grounds the light. So turn key to ON and go under the hood, pull off the oil pressure switch off and check for presence of voltage at the wire.

Did you flip the LED in the holder 180 degrees? The LEDs I bought are current sensitive (read: light up when installed one way)...and mine all light up...except the BRK light since I have no E-Brake anyway

• 4 weeks later...

The charge light also works similar to the oil light. When you turn the ignition on, power is applied the the charge light, and the light grounds through the alternator. When the engine starts, the alternator then applies its output voltage to the charge light, on the side that was grounded, and the light goes out.