Aaron's 75 280Z

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Alright I just got a bit of money in my pocket because I sold off the 210. On the list of things to buy are:

1. 50MM BOV (Tial or Tial knockoff)

2. Boost Controller (Manual or an electric haven't decided)

Need to Install

1. HIDs from last Dapper Lighting group buy

2. Intercooler, though will need to buy the BOV first

3. Change front brake discs

Want List:

1. AZC Brake Kit

2. Wide Wheels and tires

3. Flares

4. G-Nose

5. Fender Mirrors

• 5 months later...

Wake up! It is spring I have already driven my car a couple times. I just recently installed some HID's from Dapper Lighting. They installed very easily and now that it is done I don't know what I was ever worried about. I still have to adjust the aim on them, but they are in and that won't be hard. Videos to follow soon. I picked up the BOV but still haven't installed the Intercooler or BOV, I am enjoying the car quite a bit in its current state. I have also been doing quite a bit more with karts and that has been eating up free time...

• 1 month later...

It has been a non-stop rain fest here for the past few months, and I don't like dealing with rust. I got my Dapper lights installed a while back. All and all this year has not been a good car year. I am hoping that changes later this summer, but with 12+ hour work days I just don't have the energy to work on the car. I have a wife and three kids to hang out with too, so the car has been on the back burner. I haven't decided what to tinker with next. I need to replace the brakes so I might do that.

Headlight install Day 1

Headlight install Day 2

With my free time I have been looking at and playing with Karts quite a bit lately as they are smaller and my Z is mainly just for driving lately not really tinkering. I got this one below. I took her out last week (I was on Vacation visiting family) and brought it with me. We hit 40 MPH GPS verified and had it faster when we weren't testing with GPS. This thing is a BLAST. 

• 3 months later...

Another year has gone by and all that I have done is change the front brake discs and pads. I took it out to High Plains Raceway and shaved about 2 seconds off my fastest time out there so far from 2:29 to 2:27. I got that while hitting a lower top speed by a few MPH. I really have gotten more comfortable with the car and it is definitely nice to learn the limits of the car. I pushed myself much harder than I ever have in the past, and I took some video, but really it is pretty boring to watch. I am sure I will do a bit of editing, but the app I was using no longer allows me to export the data for free it only lets me do 2 minutes which is no good. 

• 1 year later...

I am back! Holy Cow! Guess what? It has been 568 days since I have really posted about this car. If you don't include my not really helpful post in 2015, it was really September of 2014, which was 936 days ago. I still have the car, and I pulled it out of "moth balls", while I have work I am going to do on the car, I am not going crazy, I am working to make it even more reliable then the plan is to start slowly turning up the power until something breaks. Here is what I have been up to the past 568/936 days. 

Non-Datsun Related:

- Completed one of the most grueling schools my career field has to offer (6 months away from my family, 18 hour days Mon-Fri, and 12 hour days Saturday and Sunday).

- Built a Boba Fett Costume (not done with that either)

- Owned a 2003 VW Passat Wagon 1.8T, sold it, it was a great car for 2 years

- Own a 1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon daily driver

- Built a couple go-karts (one for my kids, one for me)

- Re-did my main level in my house with Pergo, removing the old carpet

- Celebrated my 30th B-day

- Learned a TON about stuff and Junk

Datsun Stuff:

- Replaced the Brake Master Cylinder (replaced with larger 15/16" unit)

-- Replaced fluid resevoirs with larger 280zx units as well

- Fiddled with the tuning a bit

- Drove the car daily for 2 weeks in Oct 2016, racked up ~1k miles and realized I need to work on the car a bit (ok a lot)

What I am planning on doing. I have found you need to have a vision for the car in order to keep requirements creep out of your build. The goal is a fun car that is very reliable. I want to participate in 2 track days a year, and late this year I want to try 1 autocross, one 1k mile or longer road trip a year. 

- Replace Rear Wheel Cylinders 

-- I have never replaced these, the brakes have seemed a bit squishy always

-- I have been having a heck of a time getting the rear brakes bled

-- Source: RockAuto.com $42.79 per side / $85.59 total

- Replace Front Ball Joints

-- Never replaced by me

-- Source: RockAuto.com $28.99 per side /  $57.98 Total

- Take apart brake booster

-- Check reaction disc 

-- The brakes feel spongy, they are definitely not confidence inspiring

- Figure out why my remote locks stopped working last week

Somethings that I would like to do, but are not needed.

- Shave the intake manifold

- Relocate battery behind seat

- Minor engine bay tuck

Long Term:

- Tires are several years old and have been fantastic, but I am looking for bigger wheels and tires for a crazy good price (unlikely)

-- Need to be at least 8" wide

-- 16" (Future proof against Wilwood brake kit)

- Gnose Kit

- Rebuild Exhaust: It scrapes 

- Adjustable coilover suspension (leaning towards BC racing currently)

I value feedback. Thanks for reading. Also shameless plug I plan on chronicling my car build on Youtube as well. Over the past year with the Boba Fett Costume I got better at making videos, and plan on continuing that.

You have done alot with your Z! Looks like a fun car. I have one critique though..... You never reported back on the change with the light flywheel. What are your thoughts on it? I'm assuming it was from Top End judging by it's weight?

Bleeding the brakes on these cars can be difficult. I replaced all the hard lines on my 260z in 2015 and it took three evenings in the garage to get fluid from the rear brakes. They can be stubborn. I noticed you are running stock brake gear on your car. In good working order they are adequate but I wouldn't say they are on par with a typical modern car. That doesn't necessarily mean you should upgrade them..... Just don't expect them to be something they aren't.

They were really good brakes for their day though. Also I have found they are adequate for my needs.

I like to have everything in good working order on my cars, and I tend to focus on that more than upgrades or aftermarket goodies. Not that I don't do some of that too. But I've found cars that work well in general are more fun.

So since you asked for feedback (and your goal is a fun driver that can hit the occasional track day) I'd advise focusing on each system of your vehicle, one by one starting with your brakes, and ironing out the bugs first. Pay very close attention to detail and be thorough. I'd do that before looking into coilovers or modding anything else at this time, but that's me.

With this approach you can get to the driving and enjoying part quicker. You already have a great car there!

Lastly, I'd implement any mods after this phase is complete. You'll know better at that time what you really want/need to upgrade, and I'd tackle those by system too...Not piece by piece.

Hope some of that helps. Also kudos for tackling the dreaded spindle pins, everything else is easy by comparison haha.

Jay

Thanks for the great feedback. I have updated my front brakes to the solid rotors, with the bigger Toyota calipers. I did that several years ago. 

As for the Lightened Flywheel I didn't notice any drop in drive-ability, meaning I didn't stall the car, nor did I feel that I had to rev the engine more to take off. The speed that the car revs is a bit quicker, but not vastly different than stock. Brakes are definitely my next project. I want to get them well sorted before I move forward. 

Fantastic feedback I will be ordering the parts hopefully tonight!

You have done alot with your Z! Looks like a fun car. I have one critique though..... You never reported back on the change with the light flywheel. What are your thoughts on it? I'm assuming it was from Top End judging by it's weight?

Bleeding the brakes on these cars can be difficult. I replaced all the hard lines on my 260z in 2015 and it took three evenings in the garage to get fluid from the rear brakes. They can be stubborn. I noticed you are running stock brake gear on your car. In good working order they are adequate but I wouldn't say they are on par with a typical modern car. That doesn't necessarily mean you should upgrade them..... Just don't expect them to be something they aren't.

They were really good brakes for their day though. Also I have found they are adequate for my needs.

I like to have everything in good working order on my cars, and I tend to focus on that more than upgrades or aftermarket goodies. Not that I don't do some of that too. But I've found cars that work well in general are more fun.

So since you asked for feedback (and your goal is a fun driver that can hit the occasional track day) I'd advise focusing on each system of your vehicle, one by one starting with your brakes, and ironing out the bugs first. Pay very close attention to detail and be thorough. I'd do that before looking into coilovers or modding anything else at this time, but that's me.

With this approach you can get to the driving and enjoying part quicker. You already have a great car there!

Lastly, I'd implement any mods after this phase is complete. You'll know better at that time what you really want/need to upgrade, and I'd tackle those by system too...Not piece by piece.

Hope some of that helps. Also kudos for tackling the dreaded spindle pins, everything else is easy by comparison haha.

Jay

• 2 months later...

I have been eyeballing 510s again, this time around it will be a 4 door or a 2 door, no wagon. I went and looked at a shell, but the guy wanted trashed out not running money for it, but it didn't have a motor, transmission, front brakes, front fenders, door locks, the back panel was trash (bondo and just garbage), the tire well had been cut out replaced by a sheet of metal. The floor boards were at least OK. I am not crazy right, I shouldn't be paying over $1k for a car in that state right? Anywho I have a long weekend off work so I am going to get some things done on my car, and my daily hopefully.

I have done a few things over the past couple months. The remote locks weren't working because the fuse had given up the ghost (in one of those spots where you can't see it, but the end of the fuse just pulls off (I hate that). Cleaned up the interior, gave her a good wash. I am going to go and see how much it will cost to get my tires rotated, after these are nearly dead I will probably start looking for a set of 16x8 panasports.

The work is happening! I have replaced my front ball joints, and am currently working to replace the rear wheel cylinders. I am taking time lapses as normal it is going pretty well. Taking a break to import all of my pictures I have taken so far (Timelapses!) 

Looking at the rear brakes they have been barely engaging, the passengers side rear was not working at all. I think that could have been one of my issues that I was having with the brakes. I am excited to have brakes that hopefully work!

Stay tuned for pictures AND video!

• 2 weeks later...

The videos haven't been edited, but I have always wanted a phone mount that actually holds the phone very secure, doesn't get in my way, and can be removed, I don't want to stick it to my windshield and a whole bunch of other stuff. So I decided to build one today.

I used 1/4 metal rod. I heated and bent the end into a hoop that the center console screws that hold on the center vents are passed through. I then bent up two more pieces that fit at the front and back of my phone and loop ever so slightly around the front of the phone. After that I welded all the pieces together. I even angled the phone towards me via a raised platform. It worked out really well If I were to do it again (and I might) I would bring the phone out a bit so I could then either angle it more, or at least not hit the dash. I will try and post some pictures up in the next couple days. I have no fear that the phone wouldn't even go anywhere in a roll over crash. I am excited to finally have the phone visible, and be able to use it to monitor megaquirt much easier. I covered up my vents (I don't have AC or heater so there was no downside). Let me know if you want the design I can send it your way. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Alright a quick update. I had my door handle break last month. Just fatigue over the last ~43 years. 

- Door handles ordered from FutoFab

- Inner Fuzzy pieces ordered from MSA

- Outer Squeegees ordered (they are NLA currently from MSA so I had those cancelled from MSA)

What I have done recently

- Replaced the door handle

- Adjusted the drivers door to close tighter and then adjusted the window frame where it sits against the weatherstripping (Can't believe I never noticed that before)

What I am planning on doing soon:

- Add a tiny bit of sound deadening inside the door

- Replace the inner fuzzy trim on the window

- Add in a new moisture seal

- Reattach the door panel

• 3 weeks later...

The video is pretty long sorry. I replaced the door handle, replace the inner fuzzy sill piece, adjust the angle of the upper window frame, add sound deadener, make a new moisture barrier from a shower curtain, and replace the clips on the door panel.  

Edited by Aaron Datsun
  • Like 1