Speed gear

NCLNDYM

Yeah, the auto sleeves are different. Any '74-'78 620, will have a RED 20 tooth. Or find one

I know this is an old post but I need help. And this is pretty close to what I'm doing.

My speedo won't register. So I took out the sleeve and pinion and it looks like some of the teeth have been stripped, but only in one section. I though maybe a PO might have changed it and installed the wrong one. And looking at some of the other posts. We're talk of the sleeve and the offset of the gear being different so I grinder a notch for the lock down key and turned the sleeve 180.

But when I put it back in I still wasn't getting anything. The speedo cable won't turn or anything. So now my question is what is the correct way to install the sleeve. The reason I quoted this is because I have the 3 speed auto in my 76 620.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the teeth are stripped try replacing the plastic gear.

Only way it would have been removed or replaced is if the transmission was form anothe vehicle lik a car with different wheel size and differential ratio....then all they would need to do is swap the old pinion into the new transmission.... and they only go in one way (slot)

You have a RED 20 tooth plastic gear correct?

Then that's the correct one for your automatic. Replace the gear, it's held in with a roll pin or replace the pinion sleeve as a unit. The gear can possibly be ordered through Nissan or at least looked up over the phone. Although a month will go by and they call and and say NLA.

I'm at work but I can look up the part number when I get home.

Thanks datzenmike but I remember seeing the part number in one of the other threads on this topic. I can go look for it. But thanks for the info. Cleared things up for me. And I'm about to go to the junk yard and see if the 620 I was picking through yesterday has the one I need.

OK

The 20 tooth Red pinion gear is 32703-P2620 about $15 if available. This is the only part that needs replacing. Be sure to put it back in in the same position you found it. Do not try putting it in on that extra cut you made. Position the key way and push straight in, do NOT twist or you'll jam the soft plastic gear teeth into the worm gear that drives it.

The notch cutting at 180 was for pre '80 pinion sleeves to convert them for use on 80 and newer standard transmissions. Automatics are different.

So it's working at least I think it is. I put it back in on the position I cut the notch. I even left the old pinion in the one that had 3 teeth worn down. Is this going to damage it in anyway. I only drive up and down the drive way to see if the speedo cable was turning or not. Will this damage anything in anyway.