Dog leg 5 speed

goes2fast

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, never thought I'd stir up that many responses. Now my question is, are all A series dog legs the same? :confused:

No. There are 2 different dog leg transmissions. The 63A and 60L. The 63's come from the late B-210's, the 60's are from the B310 (210). The 63 is stronger and has slightly closer ratios.

Man you guys are not reading this. They are not the same, and there are THREE different ones. All different. Go back and read posts #2 and #6. The non-overdrive dogleg is relatively rare, it was sold by Nissan Competition in this country, although some have come in attached to import Japan motors.

• Like 1

Kooky. Mine is a 10/78 with a straight pattern 5spd. I'll see if I can find the numbers on it.

If it was produced 10/78, it would be a 79 model, as model years change either September, or October. A production date of 10/78 wouldn't have made it to a dealer before November, so I would say it had to be a 79.

Man you guys are not reading this. They are not the same, and there are THREE different ones. All different. Go back and read posts #2 and #6. The non-overdrive dogleg is relatively rare, it was sold by Nissan Competition in this country, although some have come in attached to import Japan motors.

OK, now how do I tell if it is a non overdrive? :confused:

If it was produced 10/78, it would be a 79 model, as model years change either September, or October. A production date of 10/78 wouldn't have made it to a dealer before November, so I would say it had to be a 79.

Oh, I didn't doubt for a second it's a '79. ;)

I just found it odd that people are saying the '79 210 used a B210/dogleg trans, rather than the typical straight-pattern 210 5spd trans.

But, this will be the first A14/5spd '79 I've ever seen in person. The other two were A12a/4spd cars.

All 1979 210 5-speeds were dogleg (60L), but they were not B210 doglegs (63A). And a 210 made 10/78 is both "made in 1978" and "a 1979 model". Both are true statements.

how do I tell if it is a non overdrive?

How does it shift?

?

10121.jpg

Or ?

23138.jpg

If it is out of the car, put it in the reverse position and rotate the input shaft. Hold onto the output shaft to put some drag on it, and verify the output shaft turns the opposite direction.

All 1979 210 5-speeds were dogleg (60L), but they were not B210 doglegs (63A). And a 210 made 10/78 is both "made in 1978" and "a 1979 model". Both are true statements.

How does it shift?

?

10121.jpg

Or ?

23138.jpg

If it is out of the car, put it in the reverse position and rotate the input shaft. Hold onto the output shaft to put some drag on it, and verify the output shaft turns the opposite direction.

What does this have to do with the 5th gear ratio???

Good question. You can tell by where the reverse gear is. If it is a straight pattern box, it is overdrive. I forgot to say that if it is dogleg, you can tell by the number cast on the side of the gearbox. 56A is non-overdrive and 63A is overdrive.

When you going to give us a PIC?

Good question. You can tell by where the reverse gear is. If it is a straight pattern box, it is overdrive. I forgot to say that if it is dogleg, you can tell by the number cast on the side of the gearbox. 56A is non-overdrive and 63A is overdrive.

When you going to give us a PIC?

A pic of what?

OK, now how do I tell if it is a non overdrive? :confused:

This is an almost vanishingly small chance that it is a Direct Drive (DD) 5 speed. If out place in 5th gear and turn the input shaft 10 times. If it is a DD the output spline will turn 10 times. If an overdrive 5 speed it will turn much less, like 8 or so turns.

This is an almost vanishingly small chance that it is a Direct Drive (DD) 5 speed. If out place in 5th gear and turn the input shaft 10 times. If it is a DD the output spline will turn 10 times. If an overdrive 5 speed it will turn much less, like 8 or so turns.

It's in the car, and we just got about 20 inches of snow, so it will be a while before I can get a look to see what number is on it. By the way, if 5th is an overdrive, it would turn more than 10 times, not less.

Well, my '79 has a straight pattern 5spd. And doesn't appear to have ever been out of the car. There is zero evidence that the transmission was swapped, and since I bought the car from the original owner who swears they have never even put a clutch in it, I think this info is wrong.

And FWIW my Haynes manual and FSM don't list annything for the B310 but a straight-pattern 5spd and a 4spd. No doglegs listed for this chassis.

Where did you read this information?

Well, my '79 has a straight pattern 5spd. And doesn't appear to have ever been out of the car. There is zero evidence that the transmission was swapped, and since I bought the car from the original owner who swears they have never even put a clutch in it, I think this info is wrong.

And FWIW my Haynes manual and FSM don't list annything for the B310 but a straight-pattern 5spd and a 4spd. No doglegs listed for this chassis.

Where did you read this information?

Well the car is 33 years old. If it was swapped there would be no evidence left even after as little as six months.

Haynes manuals are only so-so for the backyard mechanic doing tune ups. The FSM is far and away better but can have old info if there were production changes. BTW what year is your FSM???

• 2 years later...

This is the forum for discussion of the 1200. If looking for something please use the CLASSIFIEDS section by clicking on the link top middle of every page. Fill in the spaces fully and post it. Be sure to mark WTB want to buy. Thank-you

• Like 1