Dog leg 5 speed

goes2fast

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

78 or 79 200sx

Similar but not the same. It's the 63-series but has an L-motor bellhousing on it.

Goes2fast, unless it gets run out of oil (or you don't know how to drive :P ) it'll likely never need work. They are the largest transmission put behind an A-series. I've been running one for about 7 years and it's held up better than I ever expected.

For your 71 1200 Sport Coupe, there were three doglegs: 1970-1972 Datsun 1200 GX5, 1976-1978 Datsun B210, and 1979 Datsun 210.

Lol. Yup it was a dogleg that would fit the A series motor, but a direct drive 5th gear (non over-drive) F5W56 series transmission and never in North America.

Thought some came from 78 or 79 200sx, if you ever take in to have worked they're referred to as Rally 5 speed, FYI..mines in the shop now

Yes L series doglegs were standard equipment in the '77-'79 S10 (200sx). It was an option on the '78-'79 only US A10 (HL510)

A Z series dogleg was available on the '80-'81 four door hatchback A10 also but had a slightly closer ratio gear set.

ok, mine has the 63A stamp on it, so what would it have come from, its short only 24 or 26 inches

So do the ones that fit the B210.

Follow the center line on the top of the transmission in front of the shifter and follow up to the motor mounting bolts. The B-210 dogleg, left, goes evenly between the top two bolts. The L series motor is tilted about 12 degrees right of vertical so the center line is over beside the left bolt hole like the other two (middle and far right) in the picture below.

DoglegFS5W63AB-210and200sx002.jpg

Because the Z series motor is about 12 degrees tilted to the left of vertical, the dogleg for it will have the casting seam over beside the right hand top head bolt

transNAPSdoglegmaybe80-81hl510two.jpg

All N American 63As are 26" long but they do come longer in other countries and are 31.5". They are used on the L18 motor used in the 810 in Europe and I think in Japan. .

transphatdaveunknownZtransmaybeMaxi.jpg

transDogleglongtail63afroman810L-1.jpg

All you will really need is the reverse switch for your back up lights. That would be the middle switch of the three below just above the 63A. Top gear (if equipped) would be the one in the lower right. The neutral switch (if equipped) rides on the striking rod just forward of the shifter, upper left.

FS5W63AdoglegforAseriesB-210tojan79.jpg

I assume from the beginning of the 210's introduction in or around the middle of '78 and up to July '79 (the beginning of the '80 model year) the FS5W60L dogleg was used.

From August '79 ('80 model year) the FS5W60A regular shift pattern was used for the rest of the 210 run of cars.

As I understand it the L suffix means dogleg, A is regular H pattern shift. The 60 series L or A transmissions are not as strong as the 63A.

Thanks mike, got another ?ing. is the FS5W60A tanny also marked w/ 60A on the passenger side also.

I'm assuming it is, just want to make sure.

The 60 series 4 and 5 speeds are all marked on the middle of the main case. Below is an FS5W60A top and an FS5W60L (dogleg) below it.

210FS5W60AandFS5W60Ldogleg.jpg

1979 model year came factory with a dogleg 5.

They didn't make the straight 5s in 1978 (not even in Japan), so someone has retrofitted it.

Possibly. But how would you know? Assuming the swap was done correctly there will be no evidence it didn't come that way. :P

But I will definitely take a look...

Probably was a 4-speed car originally.

Not likely. 99.9% sure the coupe never came with a 4spd.

FWIW, my '80 and '81 dealer brochures say that only the base model 2dr sedan came with the A12a/4spd. All others are 5spd or automatic.