FRAM vs. NAPA (Wix) comparison

HRH

Alright, the forum has been filled with crap lately. Too much drama. I know we're all in the winter doldrums, so since I'm out in the garage today, I figured I would help by putting up an informative and useful thread. I needed to cut apart some filters for my display at my work (NAPA), I thought I would give FRAM a fair chance and even cut apart their "6x" filter, just to see if they have changed anything. BTW, NAPA Gold filters are made by Wix, technically ours have a smidgeon more paper in them, but for the most part are exactly the same.

I'm renewing my opinion that you could gut a filter, throw in a sock and do about the same job as a FRAM filter. And now I'll have something to show those people who insist on using FRAM when they come into NAPA looking for one. Without further ado, here are the pictures:

framsucks1.jpg

framsucks2.jpg

framsucks3.jpg

framsucks4.jpg

framsucks5.jpg

framsucks6.jpg

framsucks7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I'm curious to do the ProSelect filters (which are only for shops now) the general public gets the Silver filter. But I haven't cut either apart. I'll try and remember to get some tomorrow and do that. I only use the Gold, and technically, the 6x should be equivalent, but obviously isn't.

Those ProSelect filters I don't think are made by Wix anymore. They're a subsidiary of Affinia group, but not sure where or how they're actually constructed, just know it isn't the same Wix filter as the Gold.

very biased . its just a regular wix filter. unless the napa reboxed relabeled is cheaper

Biased what?

This is for his work, do they sell WIX at napa? Well they sell Napa Gold.

I think the point is, dont buy Fram, which happens to be over hyped therefore over priced.

well im just saying hes trying to sell us on napa golds when its a relabeled wix that most parts houses carry.yes its for his work. and i hate that he does some shameless plugs here. give the credit to wix. he already sold dtp on napa

The local auto parts store also has some gutted filters on display.....saw them a couple of years back

Was rather shocked when I saw how Fram was fabricated....bit of a joke.

Have no Napa brand here....just Wix etc...but it's rather expensive...15 bucks I believe

Another brand that comes from the same (Wix) factory is Auto Xtra...same filter, half the price

Of course the guys at the store don't tell you about the 'cheaper' brand.

well im just saying hes trying to sell us on napa golds when its a relabeled wix that most parts houses carry.yes its for his work. and i hate that he does some shameless plugs here. give the credit to wix. he already sold dtp on napa

I had suddle sarcasm in my post ... haha :lol:

I do indeed buy Wix, Napa Gold (when on sale) , and Bosch(again on sale lol) typically ... i buy the Napa pro selects from time to time.

:)

Um what? My napa sells the proselects like crazy! They dont even have Silvers for the Datsuns (asked a few times). I have an old one in my garage right now.

Technically, the 2- filters are supposed to be a shop-only filter, probably depends on if it's Jobber or corporate. I don't know. That's just how it is up here.

And no, I'm not biased, if someone bothered to look at the top post, I identified NAPA's Gold filter line as WIX before I posted the pics. Maybe someone needs to read the instructions! ;)

EDIT: I'll leave this up here, because I indeed forgot to label the NAPA brand as WIX, my bad! See, we all make mistakes, I'm going to go fix that now.

And since it piqued my curiosity, I just drove down to my local NAPA store and got a 21515 and 31515, which I will very shortly cut apart and post the results be they bad or good.

WP_000324.jpg

I currently have a Black ProSelect in my car.

Yup, that's what we stock at the shop. They do sell them at the Napa store on Shaw thought.

HRH, I know there would be some time/cost involved but I'd love to see some other brands cut open too. Or even a list of actual manufactures on some of the other chain brands if they can be verified. Thanks for the writeup!

Technically, the 2- filters are supposed to be a shop-only filter, probably depends on if it's Jobber or corporate. I don't know. That's just how it is up here.

And no, I'm not biased, if someone bothered to look at the top post, I identified NAPA's Gold filter line as WIX before I posted the pics. Maybe someone needs to read the instructions! ;)

EDIT: I'll leave this up here, because I indeed forgot to label the NAPA brand as WIX, my bad! See, we all make mistakes, I'm going to go fix that now.

And since it piqued my curiosity, I just drove down to my local NAPA store and got a 21515 and 31515, which I will very shortly cut apart and post the results be they bad or good.

now we have something a good thread going.

^lol!

Okay, pleasantly surprised, cut apart THE CHEAPEST oil filter we sell. No separate bypass assembly, but still metal endcaps and still more pleats than even the FRAM 6x! Whoo hoo! Nitrile, not silicone anti-drain back valve, but to be expected from a cheaper filter. Same strong return spring, same quality of filter, albeit less pleats than the Gold. Next up is the Silver, which I'm just going to cut apart for shits and giggles since I have it now.

Hit F5, had the wrong pics up for a second.

framsucks8.jpg

framsucks9.jpg

framsucks10.jpg

framsucks11.jpg