Project Drag 521

EricJB

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to wear cheaters for everything close, and when I am welding, if I really want to see what I am doing, I have to use flood lights, the 300-500 watt type, otherwise my welds look like crap, they hold and function, but look like crap, and if they look really bad, I just grind them off and weld it again.  :rofl:

I started having sight issues about 43, I am now 56, and it has not gotten better.  :lol:

Nice miller ya got those are nice! tig welding is great but most people just think they need to "TIG" everything! most exhaust work my tig never touches unless its stainless or bare steel. that "Aluminized" piping or galv piping MIG weld all day. just takes to much time sanding all that crap off then its just gonna rust it ya dont coat it or high temp paint it. very jealous of the bridgeport btw!

Thanks guys. I hope it works like it looks.

My eyes are to the point where I cant see the seam I am welding. I wander off and miss the line. I'm just too stubborn to to know when I'm beat.  

Nice miller ya got those are nice! tig welding is great but most people just think they need to "TIG" everything! most exhaust work my tig never touches unless its stainless or bare steel. that "Aluminized" piping or galv piping MIG weld all day. just takes to much time sanding all that crap off then its just gonna rust it ya dont coat it or high temp paint it. very jealous of the bridgeport btw!

Trust me, I do need to tig everything right now, just for the practice. One of the challenges with the header was welding the pipes so close to each other. My mig gun is pretty big. I dont know if I could have made it work.

I scored the Bridgeport for $2500. And it's a single phase. Dont know how I got along without it. They are a PITA to move though. I leave mine sitting on 4x4's so I can get a pallet jack under it. Makes it a bit easier.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to Ratsun Dave!

That run was from last year. We took it out yesterday and had some issues. One being the starter, making it impossible to troubleshoot the others. But on one half pass it went 1.2 seconds faster in the 1/8 mile than it did on its best run in 2012. So when I get it sorted out, it's gonna fly.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I need to post up pics from the last 2 weeks of thrashing. Soon. 

Eric-

I love what you are dong with this truck and wanted to say thank you for sharing that clutch delay mod.  I am almost done installing mine and can't wait to launch the 510 hard without the fear of breaking an axle.

Good luck this season and have fun!

Finally got the intake valves the 2nd week in march. I spent the weekend grinding seats, valves, and flycutting the mating surface.

photo1_zps7f05ebc3.jpg

IMG_2173_zps11ee98af.jpg

Ready to assemble.

IMG_2175_zps1e5b2e13.jpg

Here it is together. I made linkage that eliminates the cable. Bulky but bulletproof. I also made a baffled breather tube and mounted it to the timing chain cover.

And an old Mallory dual point with a pertronix ignitor.

IMG_2183_zpsee82f3b0.jpg

IMG_2185_zpsa19e7ee3.jpg

First real race is in 2 weeks. I've got some bugs to work out.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...