Door card material?

Siqx20

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job Figbuck looks good! This may be the route to consider for myself.

How easy do you think it would be if you wanted to pad it and put some kinda cloth or vinyl on it? What would you do to attach the fabric/vinyl to the back to secure it?

It doesn't need to be waterproof, just moisture-resistant like the originals -- remember, it's inside the car. Be sure to use new visqueen or polyetheline sheeting between the door and card, like came from the factory, to protect it from direct moisture.

Another material is that honeycomb paneling. It's thin, light and strong.

Diamond plate looks tough, but it's not light.

Carbon Fiber

12756.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Any kind of hard board like Masonite, peg board will have the same problem as the OEM door panels, in that they attract moisture. You might pop them off once or twice and then the holes tear and the panels don't stay on.

MDF unless cheap but you get what you pay for, and it doesn't solve the moisture problem. Baltic Birch would be a good soultion if you could get a couple scraps and didn't have to shell out $65 for a whole sheet. Still it's wood and attracts moisture. Maybe Baltic birch that was sealed with a paint or varnish would be the hot-set-up.

Here is what I did a few years ago. Pretty sure I beat Son of a Datsun Guy here to the idea. I got scraps of ABS from Tap Plastics for $6.

DSCN4750.jpg

You could use a jig saw but I have a bandsaw and put a little sanding drum on my drill press to clean up the edges.

DSCN4749.jpg

I got these plastic fasteners from my automotive paint supplier, for Toyota Celicas, 2 boxes of 10, $20. Located holes in the new panels from the existing 9 holes.

DSCN4755.jpg

The fasteners look finished and I can pop the panels off any time to fix the locks and window regulators.

DSCN4757.jpg

DSCN4758.jpg

The only thing I would do differently is to glue some block of foam on the back or a thin layer of polyethylene sheets like come in packaging or packing... just to keep the door skins from transmitting noise. Never have to worry about moisture, scratch and mar resistant... comes in any color as long as you want black.

DSCN4760.jpg

Bueno, no?

very nice. i might do the insides of my quarter panels and under the back window of my car in this. i even like the fasteners that were used lol

• 2 years later...

I got an idea. You guys all talk about using plastic sheeting etc on the doors, while you're at the Home Depot or Lowes for the lumber anyway, how about using TYVEK as a vapor barrier? It is used on the side of a lot of houses, stuff is waterproof, yet it breathes, allowing air to vent through.