Questions about front brakes

JoeR

I just put new pads and rotors on my truck after replacing the originals. I bought Wagner thermoquiet ceramic pads. The seem to working fine but are not particularly smooth and feel a little "gritty." They also smoke a bit. I am not sure if this is the pads wearing in or that the pad compound is too hard. Should I go back and get normal metallic pads or keep these?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how long ago did you replace them? Alot of new rotors are coated with cosmoline to keep them from rusting in storage, it can take a quite a few drives to get it all off, is there any kind of smell you notice?

edit: Datzenmike beat me to it while I was looking up how to spell cosmoline :lol:

Just spray the down with brake cleaner as stated before.

When installing them, rotors come with a thin film of oil on both sides to prevent rust in transit. Spraying them down with brake cleaner removes the oil. You should also take a medium grit piece of sand paper to the surface of the rotor as well. This give the rotor surface a roughness that the pads can more easily bite into.