real world LZ24 questions..

Farmer Joe

The guy HRH talked to is the same guy I was talking about, I forgot about the 13:1 CR though... that might have had a little to do with the tuning issues :lol:.

As for gearing, Ive got 3:70s behind the LZ22 in my goon. Theyre nice on the freeway but I liked the 3:90s WAY better, mainly for driving like an idiot in town. With the 3:70s I get axle wrap or clutch slippage instead of a second gear scratch... but it does get 30 flat MPG on the freeway now and it still pulls hard in 5th.

If youve got the parts to build the LZ24, I say build it :cool:

Depending on what gas costs you here and back, Pull and Save in spokane wants 27 bucks (plus tax) for a third member and theres always a bunch of 720s and usually a decent selection of 620s... but the good ones are getting few and far between, Ive been looking for good OEM fenders for a couple years now.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thing, when installing the head gasket, dont even bother putting the L series front timing portion of the gasket in, just put a nice 1/4 inch or so bead of GOOD quality gasket sealant in (Right stuff or equivalent) just make sure to clean up the stuff that squeezes through on the inside of the timing cover so it doesnt come loose later on. I did this on mine and it hasnt leaked a drop, be careful not to over torque the front timing cover bolts though.

Cam determines powerband-NOT tuning.

get a bigger cam.

my LZ24 had a U67 w/a .510 in it.

Given the chance to do it over he would just go with a Z22. Ten times easier, almost the exact same motor with the exception of crank stroke. The pain in the ass of making your own timing chain and custom timing cover

hard to tell the difference between the 2.

same carbs, smaller cam on the LZ22.

If youve got the parts to build the LZ24, I say build it :cool:

i have a modded Z24 cover and used chain available. (and a pre-dented 510 hood for clearance)

i have everything for another LZ24 build(thank mike ;) ) but the KA is in the way.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...