How to remove 1984 Nissan 720 Cluster and replace tach and clock.

Thanks for all of the past help from Ratsun members. I found a 1986 ST Nissan 720 with Black interior and I have been transplanting most of it's interior into my 84 720. Currently I have my 1984 Nissan/Datsun 720 running well, I changed the fuel pump relay and ran a jumper wire and replaced water pump and thermostat. After changing the thermostat the heater is no longer working well. Does anyone have any suggestions. Currently I am now working on the replacing the interior and cluster from the 1986 ST 720. Also, how do you remove 1984 Nissan 720 Cluster and replave with cluster with tach and clock. So far I have removed the bezel and all of the screws around the cluster. The cluster will not come out far enough for me to disconnect speedometer cable and additional plug. All of your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to reach underneath and remove the speedo cable before pulling the cluster out.

It's a bitch...not much room, once it's 'forward' a bit...unplug the elec connections.

Any 720 will have the elec wires to connect the clock and tach....they're just taped up and stuffed back on the main harness.... out of use

You will need the resister plugged into the harness (behind coils) for the tach to function.

What degree of thermostat did you replace the 'OE' one with?

Thanks for all of the past help from Ratsun members. I found a 1986 ST Nissan 720 with Black interior and I have been transplanting most of it's interior into my 84 720. Currently I have my 1984 Nissan/Datsun 720 running well, I changed the fuel pump relay and ran a jumper wire and replaced water pump and thermostat. After changing the thermostat the heater is no longer working well. Does anyone have any suggestions. Currently I am now working on the replacing the interior and cluster from the 1986 ST 720. Also, how do you remove 1984 Nissan 720 Cluster and replave with cluster with tach and clock. So far I have removed the bezel and all of the screws around the cluster. The cluster will not come out far enough for me to disconnect speedometer cable and additional plug. All of your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John.

Ya, that cluster is a bitch to remove. The end of the speedo cable has a knurled knob that needs to be "pinched and pulled" in order to be removed from the back of the cluster.

You can see the connection on the back of the cluster from my build page: "clicky-click"

As far as the heater, have you replaced any of the hoses leading to the heater core? I would recommend doing that since you are already replacing everything. Disconnect the heater core hoses and attach a hose to the inlet. If nothing comes out of the outlet, you have a blocked heater core. If the truck is not overheating, the thermostat is most likely working fine.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your past help.

I finally removed the standard cluster from my 1984 720 and replaced the blank covers with a tach and clock from a salvaged 86 720 ST. Reassembly of the cluster was straight forward and the help from Ratsun members was greatly appreciated. Later when hooking the modified cluster back on my truck I found the plug taped to the wire harness for the tach, but not for the clock. I later plugged all of the items back in order to see if the tach worked. And my luck it did not work. Do I need to hard wire the clock to a hot power source and a ground or should there be a plug attached to my wire harness? After plugging in all of the plugs and starting the truck, the tach did not move at all. I do not understand why the tachometer did not work either. I checked and there was a good 10 amp fuse in section 8 of the fuse box. I even changed the fuse just in case the previous fuse was broken. So far I have not located the resistor for the tach, I may not have one. I will continue to look for it. Does anyone have info on where I should look and what does it look like. All help is greatly appreciated.

I will trouble shoot why I am not getting heat this week-end. I will check my heater core lines and the thermostat.

Thanks for all of your time and help.

John.

The '84 tach resistor plug is located (may be missing the 2.2K ohm resistor) on driver's side harness behind the headlights near the dual coils. It will be tapped up. The resistor can be found on any '80-'96-ish car or truck with a dash tach.

22Kresistor2.jpg

The clock should have a 2 wire plug (marked A,B) on it that connects to the dash harness.

There should be a 3 wire plug (marked C, D, E) on the dash harness that plugs into a hole just below the back of the tach on the gauge cluster.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...