1438 replies to this topic

#1421 MikeRL411

MikeRL411

78 'n counting...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts
  • Cars:67RL411, 90 240SX, 97J30T

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

Thanks Mr Big.  Definitely shooting for JCCS this year.

Park next to me !  1967RL411 .

#1422 Duncan

Duncan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Thanks man!  Not looking to go too low, at least for now.  I probably could easily roll the front ones, but the back has a lot of bodywork back there, and I don't think I could take a hammer to it after all that work. :no: :no: :no:

Nelson has the same size tires and wheels, and his wagon sits pretty nice.  I love the low look, but at my age, a decent ride and handling is mandatory. 

Careful can’t go to low even with the 195’s. With the 15”. I hope you already rolled your fender wells. Looking good though.

Posted telepathically from my man cave...

#1423 datsunfreak

datsunfreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,328 posts
  • Cars:'73 1200 Coupe, '77 280Z

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:45 AM

the back has a lot of bodywork back there, and I don't think I could take a hammer to it after all that work. :no: :no: :no:

Even just taking the first 10-15mm of lip there and being it up to a 45 degree angle would help. You don't have to go crazy 

If they are straight out stock you not only risk rubbing, but they can actually cut unto the tire sidewall. 

You'll know soon enough if it's going to be necessary.   ^_^

It's your car, just don't ruin it.

It's also not my money, so i'll suggest the most expensive option. 

#1424 Duncan

Duncan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Exactly this!

You'll know soon enough if it's going to be necessary.   ^_^

#1425 Duncan

Duncan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

rearbump.jpg

Rear bumper took all day to get mounted due to a long list of solvable issues, but it's finally on the car, though.   I should have looked at the '68 style license plate light earlier.  It looks okay, but could use a chrome bath..

I'll put my NOS "Wagon" badge on soon, and will get a closeup of it just to challenge Mr Big find one for his wagon :)  I'm not 100% sure, but I think that badge was only used in Canada and Australia.  As always, the truth about trivial items like this can be hard to find..

#1426 mrbigtanker

mrbigtanker

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,814 posts
  • Cars:Trailblazer ss/72 521/71 goon/454 SS/2016 canyon

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

rearbump.jpg

Rear bumper took all day to get mounted due to a long list of solvable issues.  It's finally on the car, though.   I should have looked at the '68 style license plate light earlier.  It looks okay, but could use a chrome bath..

I got a nice chrome one for ya if you want.

#1427 Duncan

Duncan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

I got a nice chrome one for ya if you want.

Thanks man.  It shouldn't be too bad to get this one done.  I just don't have anything else to get chromed at the moment, otherwise most places have a minimum dollar amount.  I can shop around a bit once the car comes home.  

I still have to remove and repaint the hood here, too...ugh..

#1428 blairis

blairis

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cars:71 Datsun 1600 (510) wagon

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

rearbump.jpg

Rear bumper took all day to get mounted due to a long list of solvable issues, but it's finally on the car, though. I should have looked at the '68 style license plate light earlier. It looks okay, but could use a chrome bath..

I'll put my NOS "Wagon" badge on soon, and will get a closeup of it just to challenge Mr Big find one for his wagon :) I'm not 100% sure, but I think that badge was only used in Canada and Australia. As always, the truth about trivial items like this can be hard to find..

#1429 blairis

blairis

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

rearbump.jpg

Rear bumper took all day to get mounted due to a long list of solvable issues, but it's finally on the car, though. I should have looked at the '68 style license plate light earlier. It looks okay, but could use a chrome bath..

I'll put my NOS "Wagon" badge on soon, and will get a closeup of it just to challenge Mr Big find one for his wagon :) I'm not 100% sure, but I think that badge was only used in Canada and Australia. As always, the truth about trivial items like this can be hard to find..

I would kill for a wagon badge.

#1430 blairis

blairis

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:58 AM

My rear bumper is 1 piece yet yours is 3 piece by the looks of it.

#1431 Duncan

Duncan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

My rear bumper is 1 piece yet yours is 3 piece by the looks of it.

It had a really messed up rear bumper that was all bog and painted silver.  I don't remember if it was a 1 piece or not.  I picked that bumper here in San Diego for a whopping $35.00  I remember doing the cutout for the license light on it.

I got the NOS wagon badge from a seller in Saudi Arabia.  I did a Hail Mary with it on ebay, and hoped for the best.  It showed up here about 10 days later. I was half expecting to get burned on it, and was very pleased when it was exactly as described.

#1432 blairis

blairis

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

It had a really messed up rear bumper that was all bog and painted silver. I don't remember if it was a 1 piece or not. I picked that bumper here in San Diego for a whopping $35.00 I remember doing the cutout for the license light on it.

I got the NOS wagon badge from a seller in Saudi Arabia. I did a Hail Mary with it on ebay, and hoped for the best. It showed up here about 10 days later. I was half expecting to get burned on it, and was very pleased when it was exactly as described.

All other wagons I have seen have had a 3 piece bumper so looks like mines the odd one.

Last wagon badge on eBay australia sold for over $250 AUD.

#1433 Duncan

Duncan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:24 PM

Still trying to wrap this up and still running into stupid little things..

spdogear.jpg

I ran the car on rear jack stands about 10 days ago and noticed two fresh oil puddles under the car.  One of them was the speedo cable....again.  Turns out there was an inner seal on this shaft that was not seated correctly.   Disassembled, cleaned, and degreased the unit, then applied a very thin coat of silicone to help keep the seal in place.  I'm hoping it does the job.  If it leaks, I did get a part number off the seal, and it looks I can find one if I have to..  I still have another small leak that I can find no trace of where it's coming from...

Got the front bumper together and installed..

frntbmpr.jpg

I had a broken hood release cable, and I ordered a cheap Thai replacement off ebay.  It was very cheap, and so was the quality.  I'm headed over to Control Cables in Santa Fe Springs tomorrow, and plan on ordering a heavy-duty cable.  I also have a choke cable for my Weber carb on order.

Just taking on all these little things one at a time.. 

#1434 Duncan

Duncan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:50 PM

After talking about this, I went and dug it out.  I think I bought it about 4 years ago knowing I wanted it for the wagon.  It's not the best photo, but it's brand new, and was quite a bit less than what they are now. 

If I didn't find one of these, I would have welded up the holes in the hatch and not have a badge on it at all..

Last wagon badge on eBay australia sold for over $250 AUD.

wgnbdge.jpg

#1435 KELMO

KELMO

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • Cars:71 Goon, 72 1200 coupe x 2, 69 F250

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:06 AM

4 Speed trans speedo pinion seals...

Seal: 32709-14600

O Ring: 32710-14600

I am thinking you have a 5 Speed in this but am too lazy to go back and look.  If so, Just post in here what it is out of and I can get you the OEM #'s for the pinion seals.

NISMO: Nissan Impresses Sluts More Often
"Well, primer gray IS a color..." (quote: Kelmo's wife)

#1436 Duncan

Duncan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

Thanks Kelly.  It's a 5-spd that people say it's from a Z.  Not sure, but I would assume a 280 or a ZX.  It's a Japanese made seal by NOK.  The number on it is 15.4 and it appears that number will cross reference to other manufacturers.  I didn't look into it terribly long, though. 

Nissan part numbers are always nice to have.  :thumbup:  

4 Speed trans speedo pinion seals...

Seal: 32709-14600

O Ring: 32710-14600

I am thinking you have a 5 Speed in this but am too lazy to go back and look.  If so, Just post in here what it is out of and I can get you the OEM #'s for the pinion seals.

#1437 KELMO

KELMO

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • Cars:71 Goon, 72 1200 coupe x 2, 69 F250

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:40 AM

Part #'s are the same for a "Z" 5 speed. Could not locate my ZX catalog so looked at the 810 Maxima 5 speed and same seals also, so I think it would be safe to assume they are the same on "ZX" 5 speed.

NISMO: Nissan Impresses Sluts More Often
"Well, primer gray IS a color..." (quote: Kelmo's wife)

#1438 Duncan

Duncan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

Thanks again, Kelly.  I remember reading somewhere that they are (mostly) the same pinion used on most Datsun transmissions.  I remember a discussion about the color of the gear was different depending on the ratio of the pinion.. 

Part #'s are the same for a "Z" 5 speed. Could not locate my ZX catalog so looked at the 810 Maxima 5 speed and same seals also, so I think it would be safe to assume they are the same on "ZX" 5 speed.

#1439 blairis

blairis

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:35 AM

Love the 1600 grill badge. Never seen one before