Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

Thanks, I think...

My battery wouldn't fit that, and I understand you didn't use a cover. 

I'm going to paint my box cover with some big flake sparkle, lace paint over the top, flames, and then top it off with some hot rod pinstripes.  I'll also add just a slight hint of purple pearl in the clear coat.   I hope to have the lid done by JCCS this year 🙂

Edited by Duncan
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the hinged lid done.  Not as nice as the first box, but I needed the lid to support some weight since it'll be under the cargo floor mat.

boxlid.jpg

Thankfully, I bolted the first box in.  Made it much easier to return the floor if I changed my mind.

doorgone.jpg

I'll seam seal that up, paint it, and have a piece of insulation to top it off. 

Bob's yer uncle, but who's yer Daddy? 🙌

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got this wrapped up.

batt.jpg

I used 18ga metal for the box, which was fine, but I used it on the lid.  The lid was too flimsy, so I made a second with thicker material.  I didn't want to throw something heavy in the back and have it short onto the positive battery terminal 🙂

In addition to coming up with a battery hold down, I think I'm going to find a scrap piece of leather I can glue to the underside of the lid....just in case.  "Cause race car and all"

cargoflr.jpg

Also, found a new upholstery guy who's doing my carpet in about 10-14 days or so.  Looking forward to getting that done.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

What the hell...

Don't know why I waited SOOOOO long to do this, but the accelerator pedal in my wags was really uncomfortable.  My foot was WAY too vertical, and it felt like my ankle was going numb when I drove the 200 mile trip to San Diego and back. 

Anyway, I drove it today because it hadn't been started in about ten days. After about 15 minutes, I turned around and decided today was the day..

accel.jpg

I clamped it up to my buffer stand (which is cast iron) and heated it up with my acetylene rig.  Once it was hot enough, I used the 1x2 to push it down about an 1.5" or so. 

What a difference!  Still don't know why I waited so long.  Total time from parking it to the test drive was about 20 minutes.   I'll probably yank it back out tomorrow and paint it.

Edited by Duncan
4 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Mark post a pic of it installed

I can do that tomorrow.  I don't think it is a 510 accelerator pedal.  I think it's a transplant from another Nissan.  All three pedals were the same height. 

Full throttle was possible, but W.O.T. stopped about 3" from the floor.  The adjustable throttle stop on the floor didn't line up with the pedal, either..  They still don't, but the pedal is more comfy on the ankle now.  

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Duncan said:

I can do that tomorrow.  I don't think it is a 510 accelerator pedal.  I think it's a transplant from another Nissan.  All three pedals were the same height. 

Full throttle was possible, but W.O.T. stopped about 3" from the floor.  The adjustable throttle stop on the floor didn't line up with the pedal, either..  They still don't, but the pedal is more comfy on the ankle now.  

Talk about ankles. Lol

Here's the pedal, re-fitted, if you will...

accped.jpg

It looks lower in the photo than it actually is.  You can also see that it doesn't align with the throttle stop on the floor. 

Anyway, it's much better, and I still don't know why I waited this long to fix it..

Allegedly, carpet time next week! I've not had good luck with upholsterers lately..

• Like 3

Finally..

carp2.jpg

carp1.jpg

I had him carpet the cargo area, then make a cargo mat out of the same material so you don't see the fuel filler of the battery box.

cargo2.jpg

cargo1.jpg

My camera doesn't like taking pictures of black, but the carpet came out really nice.  He also made me custom floor mats from the same carpet.  I pick those up tomorrow.  I bought some cheap-o mats for driving it, and saving the good mats for shows, etc..

I'm really hoping that installing all the other stuff will be the last time for a long while.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 4

And just for the lulz...

I'm entering the wagon in a concours show here in my City they do every year.  I know the concours judges won't score me well, but it's a nice show, and the people are usually really nice, so it should be fun anyway..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The upholsterer carpeted over my cross member that runs across the front floor, and my seat fouled it when trying to adjust the seat.  I liked the way the carpet looked and didn't want to trim it back.  After a bit of trial and error, I ended up making a 1/4" spacer that I welded on the seat bottom. It raised them up just enough to clear the cross member, and I can't say that I notice any difference in seat height.  

The passenger seat is welded and just needs to be bolted in the car.  I put the heater in and the console, and it's much easier to do while the seat is out.

cons2.jpg

cons1.jpg

The console is in, but I haven't bolted it in yet.  It stays put as is, but I'm trying to decide if I like it or not.  The armrest is awesome for driving, but it really is a flimsy pile of crap 😞  I'm gonna live with it for a bit and see what happens.  I'm thinking it might look better once the passenger seat is in..

The heater is one cast iron bitch to install.  I've done it 3 or 4 times now, and it doesn't get easier. 

I also realized today that I need to order some lap belts for the rear seats.  I don't plan on any rear seat passengers ever, but the car should have them, anyway..

I'm not sure what vehicle the shifter came from.  I found it in a wrecking yard, and it was loose in the back of a late model Toyota pickup.  It had a pretty distinct forward bend in it, and I have taken some of that out.  Although it doesn't hit the console, it wouldn't hurt to put a slight bit of that bend back in it. 

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Draker said:

I second that console. Good for driving. Mine is in really bad shape. Planning to fix it up at some point.

Mine is in relatively decent shape.  My gripe is it's just cheap and flimsy.  I had a similar unit in my 1200 Coupe, and it seemed to be a bit better quality. (But not by much)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Duncan said:

Mine is in relatively decent shape.  My gripe is it's just cheap and flimsy.  I had a similar unit in my 1200 Coupe, and it seemed to be a bit better quality. (But not by much)

Definitely flimsy! 

3 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Mark looking awesome looks like 1 more seat and it’s done. 

Thanks Ray, been busy this morning with the driver's seat.

spac1.jpg

Here's the 1/4" spacers.  I already had a thin set of these tacked on to make the seat level, so these were super-simple to do.  It's really thick wall steel tubing, and quite manly in it's girth and thickness...(They'll hold my fat ass for sure!)

spac2.jpg

Just waiting now for the paint to dry.

I also just yanked the console out and ordered a generic shift boot from Summit Racing.  I have a good friend who is a master cabinet builder.  I bet I could get a custom console built any way I want it, cover it in something very nice, and it would still be cheaper than a used Bluebird console.

After all this work and trouble, I'd hate to have to go with something I thought was shitty.  Anyway, we'll see. 

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
On 5/4/2019 at 9:25 AM, Draker said:

Definitely flimsy! 

I've pretty much decided the console is out.  I'm going to order a Lokar shift boot, and re-visit a custom made console at a later time.

• Like 1

Well,

fen6.jpg

Had to pull the fender.

fen7.jpg

Had a paint bubble develop.  I suspect that when I did some lead work, I may have missed a spot on cleanup.  The tinning process leaves acid, and it's possible this was missed.  I've never had this happen before, and I am positive it wasn't rust or a spot with no primer.   

Since I'm repainting the fender, I'm also opening the gap up between the door a bit.  It was too small, so it's the "since I'm here" thing..

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1