Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having trouble with the seats.  They fit, but the adjustment tracks get hung up on the cross member.  Spent an entire day figuring out multiple problems with that.  Ended up modifying the seats a bit, and I notched the crossmember as well. 

I'm headed down tomorrow to fab and weld some gussets back in to put some strength back in the cut areas.   It sounds so simple when I type this out, but it's taken quite a bit of time.  I'll probably be there all day doing just the fab and welding.

I also need to get my rims from John.  One or two of those were bent, and I need to find a wheel repair place and get them checked and straightened.  Then I need tires, etc, and so on , and so on...

Just haven't updated because modifying seats and such isn't terribly exciting :)  The BMW seats are badass, though.  IMHO of course..    

Mark I take it your driving it around, and that’s why there is no updates..

• Like 1

Having trouble with the seats.  They fit, but the adjustment tracks get hung up on the cross member.  Spent an entire day figuring out multiple problems with that.  Ended up modifying the seats a bit, and I notched the crossmember as well. 

I'm headed down tomorrow to fab and weld some gussets back in to put some strength back in the cut areas.   It sounds so simple when I type this out, but it's taken quite a bit of time.  I'll probably be there all day doing just the fab and welding.

I also need to get my rims from John.  One or two of those were bent, and I need to find a wheel repair place and get them checked and straightened.  Then I need tires, etc, and so on , and so on...

Just haven't updated because modifying seats and such isn't terribly exciting :)  The BMW seats are badass, though.  IMHO of course..

I might have a wheel repair guy and as for polishing I have Ontario polishing if you need help. Let me know.

I might have a wheel repair guy and as for polishing I have Ontario polishing if you need help. Let me know.

Thanks man.  Datrod had them polished, so a cleanup should be okay.  I do need to find a repair place.  Seems like there's a lot of them, and now there's machines that can true up bent wheels for not a ton of money.   The prices of Longchamps seems to have gone up since I bought them, so I don't mind throwing a few bucks at them.

• Like 1

Okay, here's the glamour.

Tunnel side that I notched for seat rail clearance.

flr1.jpg

Gusset welded in.. The gussets are 1/8" thick and crazy strong.  The welds aren't terribly dressed out, but they don't really need to be.  There's a 3/8" hole that servers no purpose I can see, so I'm going to close it up.

flr2.jpg

Outboard side of same support finished. 

flr3.jpg

I put some bed liner on it which matches the texture of the lizard skin.  I have some grey paint to make it look better.

flr4.jpg

Everything's all closed back up and tied together.  

I have to do the driver's side next...

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Nope.  Got the floor done and ready to put the seats back in.  I got a cold that kicked my ass for about ten days, and that's finally going away.

Still need to get out to Elsinore and get my wheels.  I'm a bit stalled until that's done, and the holidays are slowing things down, too..

Mark is it done ??????

• Like 1

Got the holes in the floor welded up today, and the seats are in and work like they should now.  Those BMW seats were a LOT of work to fit and get to work properly, but I really like them.  I forgot to get a photo, but I will next time I'm down in San Diego.

Spent an inordinate amount of time trouble shooting the damn gas gauge.  I think because I painted the tank and put a new rubber seal around the sending unit, I lost the ground.  Even though there is a ground terminal on the sender itself, it never needed a ground before.  I suspect the sender hit some bare metal on the tank which was bolted to the frame. 

I also ran to the gas station to grab a few gallons in a can to make sure I had enough to make the gauge register :)

Came up with this fix:

sender2.jpg  

Made up a small black ground wire and used a #4 bolt and nut to attach it to the floor right next to it.  Simple, but effective.

• Like 1

Finally got better and was able to pick these up on the way back from San Diego yesterday.

longc.jpg

The one slightly bent rim is already at the repair shop, and I spent a couple hours cleaning up the remaining three. 

Datrod had these polished when I first loaned them to him, and they cleaned up real nice with a small effort.  I also ordered new center caps for them.  Can't wait to get this thing going..

• Like 4

Was for the stock seat rails. One less place to leak now.

I assumed that was the case.  Two less spots to leak now :)

Look up love20bee there up here by me in San dimas. They can help you out with all your wheel needs.

Thanks Ray.  I used a place in Santa Ana that was recommended by my Chevy Service Mgr friend.  I should have the wheel back on Tuesday.  (Those pesky holidays and all that..)

• Like 1

And speaking of wheels, the placed that repaired my bent rim called and had it done by noon today.  24 hour turnaround.  That's pretty amazing... 

Thanks Ray.  I used a place in Santa Ana that was recommended by my Chevy Service Mgr friend.  I should have the wheel back on Tuesday.  (Those pesky holidays and all that..)

• Like 3

The holidays and getting sick slowed me down for a bit, but I'm picking it back up a bit..

brackcap1.jpg

Got my bumper brackets blasted and painted, and my center caps came in the mail from Japan.

tyres.jpg

The tires are on the rims ready to go on.  I'm headed down to San Diego tomorrow to start putting the last few touches on this thing so it can be driven. 

• Like 3

Thanks Draker.

longs.jpg

My Z rollers were 205/60/15's and I was thinking the car was too low.  These are 195/50/15's and I'm thinking it might now need moar low.  I'll check it out once it's on the ground.

The seat project finally done!

bmwseats.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks man!  Not looking to go too low, at least for now.  I probably could easily roll the front ones, but the back has a lot of bodywork back there, and I don't think I could take a hammer to it after all that work. :no: :no: :no:

Nelson has the same size tires and wheels, and his wagon sits pretty nice.  I love the low look, but at my age, a decent ride and handling is mandatory. 

Careful can’t go to low even with the 195’s. With the 15”. I hope you already rolled your fender wells. Looking good though.

• Like 1

the back has a lot of bodywork back there, and I don't think I could take a hammer to it after all that work. :no: :no: :no:

Even just taking the first 10-15mm of lip there and being it up to a 45 degree angle would help. You don't have to go crazy 

If they are straight out stock you not only risk rubbing, but they can actually cut unto the tire sidewall. 

You'll know soon enough if it's going to be necessary.   ^_^

• Like 1

rearbump.jpg

Rear bumper took all day to get mounted due to a long list of solvable issues, but it's finally on the car, though.   I should have looked at the '68 style license plate light earlier.  It looks okay, but could use a chrome bath..

I'll put my NOS "Wagon" badge on soon, and will get a closeup of it just to challenge Mr Big find one for his wagon :)  I'm not 100% sure, but I think that badge was only used in Canada and Australia.  As always, the truth about trivial items like this can be hard to find..

• Like 2