Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These are the rear hatch torsion rods for my wagon which I plan on installing soon.  One of them has a bend in the center which I *assume* provides more resistance and would guess holds the hatch in the "UP" position. 

Does anyone know which position these install?  I did it one time before and (of course) got them in backwards.  Even with the correct tool, they are a pain to install, and would rather do it once if possible.

Thanks!

trods.jpg

• Like 3

These are the rear hatch torsion rods for my wagon which I plan on installing soon.  One of them has a bend in the center which I *assume* provides more resistance and would guess holds the hatch in the "UP" position. 

Are you sure it's not just bent?  ^_^

Last I did one, I don't recall that dip? I ended just installing them on the hinges, off the car, then bolting on one hinge, and using a big pry bar to twist the other hinge into position. 

I also remember it being the fucker of all mothers to do...

• Like 1

It's been 5 years since I last put them in, but there is a right way (Hatch stays up fine) and a wrong way. (Hatch won't stay up)  The guy I got them from took them off a wagon being parted, and I unbolted them myself.  I suppose one could be bent, but the bend is exactly in the middle of the bar, and just looks to precise to be an accident. (Not that I have ever damaged anything myself or anything....)

As I recall, I bolted the hinges to the car, then tweaked the rod with the tool and held it in place with one hand while putting the bolt in with the other.  It's been quite a while, but I recall there are some brackets that bolt onto the hinges to hold them in place once the torque is applied.  I recall laying on my back and installing those damn things on the roof :)  I'm definitely enlisting some help from my buds at the shop this time..  

Are you sure it's not just bent?  ^_^

Was fitting the hood today (which can be quite barbaric) and I managed to push too hard in the wrong spot.  Put a nice dent into it, (which was fixed) but it needs to be repainted.

Not too big a deal though, as there was a spot I was trying to decide if I could live with or not.  That dent decided that for me.

hoodfit.jpg

• Like 4

The setbacks on this thing frustrate me Duncan. I'm glad you can keep patient.

It's totally worth it btw. The car is looking gorgeous!

Thanks Jay.  With the only exception being the hatch, every bolt on panel on this wagon came from another car.  Doors, hood, fenders, cowl panel, etc, etc.  Having to take extra time in fitting them was expected.  The fender thing is still a mystery to me, though :) 

There's no way I was making it to JCCS this year, so there's no real pressure.  Just taking my time trying to do a nice job on it. 

Thanks or your kind words. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Thanks Kelly.  You just triggered a re-occuring nightmare of having to put those things back in :)  Actually, with the tool I made, it wasn't the worse thing I've had to do..

Did you notice one with a slight bend in the middle like the one I have?  I was wondering if there is a distinct way to tell which bar goes where.  The first time I put them in, I had them wrong and the hatch wouldn't stay up.  When closing it, you could tell the weight wasn't properly counterbalanced. 

Took a nice week off from the wagon.  Needed a breather from it for a bit..

Had a very weird spot near the middle of the hood.  It was right on the downward ledge that runs to the center section in the hood.  (The little 1/4" drop)  Couldn't quite get it right, and I had ALL the guys at the shop look at it.  After screwing around with for most of the day, I think we figured out where the problem was.   Got primer and guide coat on it, and I can't see the spot when it's wet and shining, so I'm thinking we're good.. Also got my self inflicted dent repaired :crying:

hdrep.jpg   

• Like 2

Painted this last week.  Was planning on sanding and polishing today, but it was insanely hot in the shop.  I got this all flat with 1200 grit and got the hell out of there.  I left at 2:00pm and it was SO HOT, there was little to no traffic on the way back!  

hdresand.jpg

• Like 2