Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny how sometimes walking away from a project gives you a fresh perspective. That's happened to me many times, looks like it's working to your advantage.... The car is coming together really well.

Also, when I wake up, there is less beer in my brain.

• Like 4

I bought mine from the guy on Ebay back when it was $100. I had no such issues, other than the bows wanting to fall down while installing. But it fit my wagon great. Nice material, and enough for the pillars and sunvisors (which I havent covered yet).

So either the Aussie wagon is different or the company just has bad quality control, probably the latter.

Did the binder clip method to glue in the edges. Everything pulled nice and tight.

Also, I forgot to note the location of where the bows came from, Heard they were different front to back. Also there were 3 holes for each bow to go into.

• Like 1

I numbered the bows when I removed them.  We also stood them up all together prior to the install, and they all looked exactly the same.  Don't know if that absolutely true, but I always remember hearing to put them back where they were removed from.  

Also, I forgot to note the location of where the bows came from, Heard they were different front to back. Also there were 3 holes for each bow to go into.

Staples has a gross of them for $16 and some change.  You get 144 of them.  For laughs, we figured out these were $0.11 each.

I'll have a lot of used ones for sale at a good price next week :)

I guess if I ever decide to do a headliner in my goon, I am gonna need just a FEW more of those clips. B)

• Like 2

It's been a while since it was applied, but...

lizskn.JPG

Sprayed the roof, floors, and inside rear quarters..

lizskn1.JPG

The roof rang like a bell prior to the lizard skin.  Now you tap on it and you get a dull sounding thud. 

• Like 4

Because I embrace my inner Ratsun, I decided to repair my wood steering wheel.  It was covered in over spray and I figured I couldn't damage it anymore.

Those spots were all over the front of the wheel including the aluminum center spokes.

Here's the before:

whl2.jpg

After:

whlfin.jpg

Sanded this with 2500 grit sandpaper followed up by hand polishing it with Blue Magic Metal Finish.  ($6.00 at Auto Zone)  It has a more satin looking finish with less gloss which I actually prefer.  

I also sanded the center spokes (going with the grain) and they also look like new.

hornring.jpg

I also sanded the horn button and polished it with a small buffing wheel (on a drill) and Maguiars plastic polish compound.  Both of thse items came in a Maguiars Headlight Restoration kit.  That kit made the headlights on my daily look brand new again, BTW.  

Anyway, it was low buck and worked nice.  I've had this steering wheel for a long time, and glad I don't really need to replace it.

• Like 1

It's Christmas!  I was digging parts out of my rafters and was stoked to find this.  It's carbon fiber, and probably one of the last ones Dave Pare made before he passed away.  It's extremely lightweight.

5 years in the rafters unprotected from dust and over spray hasn't been kind to it, but I still have the same white paint I used on it.  

rearcf.jpg

Another FYI for you wagon owners.  I pulled the cargo light from an 80's 510 Series II wagon in the wrecking yard.  They used the exact same light, so bear that in mind if one pops up in the wrecking yard. 

• Like 1

I think(maybe) I got one out of a 210 wagon.......or was it an A10 wagon, aww hell I really don't remember for sure.

As a matter of fact, I'm not sure I even know where the lamp is.

As a matter of fact, I'm not sure I even know where the lamp is.

I hear ya on that.  I can't find my rear view mirror and some other small pieces.  The Eagle Rock swap meet is coming in a few weeks and I plan on doing some scrounging through the parts piles..

The wife has offered to help inventory the 15 or so tubs of parts that I have.

I have this on my calendar for the 12th........................................................................of never.

• Like 3

It's Christmas!  I was digging parts out of my rafters and was stoked to find this.  It's carbon fiber, and probably one of the last ones Dave Pare made before he passed away.  It's extremely lightweight.

5 years in the rafters unprotected from dust and over spray hasn't been kind to it, but I still have the same white paint I used on it.  

rearcf.jpg

Another FYI for you wagon owners.  I pulled the cargo light from an 80's 510 Series II wagon in the wrecking yard.  They used the exact same light, so bear that in mind if one pops up in the wrecking yard. 

I could use one of these panels, do you know if anyone is making these at a reasonable price? The car looks amazing by the way. 

I could use one of these panels, do you know if anyone is making these at a reasonable price? The car looks amazing by the way. 

Actually, I do not know of anyone offering these now.  They might be offered somewhere, but I haven't seen one.  Maybe someone might chime in...

The wife has offered to help inventory the 15 or so tubs of parts that I have.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but I haven't forgotten your belt moldings.  Still waiting to get my doors on the car first, but soon.