Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

Ugh...

Went to San Diego this weekend and the weather basically blew ass.  Rainy, windy and cold most of Friday and today (Saturday)  The goon is outside under a tarp, so I wasn't wet, but it still sucked working on it...I did quite a but of repair to one of my fenders on the bench and we also made some new lead from old lead..

Whenever I sling or shave lead, I have masking paper underneath the work area to try to catch any lead that comes off the car.  I put the shavings and small pieces that are too small to work into a coffee can and wait until it's full.  When it's nearly full, we have about 2.5lbs of lead to make new bars with..

bars.JPG

We use a propane camp stove and an old iron pot to melt the lead.

bars1.JPG

We have a piece of sheet metal about 20' in length bent into a tight "J" shape that is our mold

bars2.JPG

Not the best photo, but the molten lead being poured into our mold.

bars3.JPG

Not as elegant as the lead bars you buy from body shop suppliers, but my shavings yielded about 2.5 pounds of lead that can be re-used as many times as you can melt it.  This would be about $50-ish from a supplier, and this was about 15 minutes of work..

This now usable lead can go a long way on this side of the car.  I'm guessing this will be enough to finish the entire car and still have enough to make a spare bar or two when I am done. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I was seriously tired of the weather and filing most of the day Friday, I tackled the rear floor sticky insulation crap in the rear cargo floor.  Hammer and chiseled it off, then wire wheel it clean and self etch prime.  The PO also had these weird brackets welded to the top of the wheel well inside that held the reels for the rear retractable seat belts.  Funny, since the fronts are NOT retractable..  I also found a shitload of little holes from previous installation of various stuff over the years.  I suspect I have more than an entire days work to weld up all the little holes..

backflr.JPG

bkflr1.JPG

I didn't get it done, but I save stuff like this for when I get tired of body work but still need to do something productive on the wagon.  Even though this is a chore, it gives me a break from the other stuff and keeps things moving forward.

Eventually, all this crap will be gone and I plan on using Lizard Skin over the entire floor.

• 2 months later...

Well, it's been a while.  My friend closes his shop for the entire month of May, throws a month-long cleanup and re-organization, then has a BBQ over Memorial Day weekend.  I had a lot of people give me shit about no updates (yes, it was nice to see you too since I went to the local and not-so-local Datsun meets in May)  :)

I'm getting down to the wire, and nearly finished with the damage/rust repair.  I actually feel I might be getting up to Zero instead of the minus column..

lrocker.JPG

The left (passenger) side rocker repair is finished.  We bent up one single piece to replace my multiple-piece repair.  It is seam filled with lead and the green stuff is a very good rattle can self-etch primer I use.  I don't actually leave it on the car, but I do spray it just to cover up bare metal.  It's comes right off with lacquer thinner and I then use the high build primer.

The white goop along the top is actually water with baking soda.  It is used after tinning to neutralize any acids before lead is applied.  The dogleg below is where the stuff came from.

dl2-1.JPG

The replacement dogleg is installed and here are some in-process lead shots.  This is the dogleg that required a lot of repair.  This dogleg combined with the quarterpanel that got hit by a car in the shop were quite the challenge.  This one was quite wavey, and holding a straight edge to it showed some major hi/low spots.  It required a lot of lead and a metric assload of filing.  :(  ugh..

dl2-2.JPG

more lead detail

dl2-3.JPG

mostly done.

I have to tell you that I have really had an assload of doing this type of bodywork.  Fortunately, this is the very last of the damaged sections, and I can't wait to move onto something else.  The above was about 5 hours of filing and it's been drudgery all day.

• 5 weeks later...

He wont paint my truck.lol

He is too anal!!!  I don't think Mark could charge enough to make any money if he did someone's car or truck.

Body shops don't even do lead anymore. That's as old school as it get's.

• Like 1

Right now, I have to finish stripping the floor and get lizard skin down on it.  Once that's done, we're looking at getting paint from Arizona and doing the jams. (yeah, color!)  Then the interior, then the door innards..

I should have it ready for JCCS by 2017 or so...

• Like 1

Right now, I have to finish stripping the floor and get lizard skin down on it.  Once that's done, we're looking at getting paint from Arizona and doing the jams. (yeah, color!)  Then the interior, then the door innards..

I should have it ready for JCCS by 2017 or so...

2017 Fuck you'll be like 80 years old by then. You sure your old as will be able to drive in 2017.

Well,

The way it's going lately, I will make JCCS 2017, but I might burn the wagon down before then...

Here's the rear bumper.  I started stripping powder coating off and (of course) hit some more bondo over rust.  Fuck me, this shit is getting old.

rbumper.JPG

I found more bondo that's pictured here, and let's just say it isn't very pretty.

Wow!  I just scored a usable rear bumper for the wagon off of Craigslist.  This one is bent up a bit, but I have taken them in much worse shape to the bumper shop, so it can be straightened and re-chromed. 

I'm sure I will be stripping the front one very soon.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

Doing the floors and ran across some more great work by the previous owners..

denim.JPG

The previous iron-on denim patch/drain plug was on the driver's side.  Here's the matching one on the passenger side..

tunnel.JPG

tunnel2.JPG

Here's some great fab work on the trans tunnel.  Please check out the great welding.  To make up for the gaps in the weld bead, a liberal application of undercoating was used over the top as a sort of seam sealer....awesome!

You won't see that kind of precision too often :)

I think this was actually placed OVER the exiting tunnel after a hole was cut for the 5 speed.  Plan on leaving it for now until I do the drivetrain swap and figure out where the shifter needs to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Floors are all clean.  Tunnel add-on removed.  I ordered lizard skin and it will be here in 10 days or so.  This weekend I am welding up all the little holes (looks like about 30 total) in the floor that were added indiscriminately to hold down carpet, hardware, and whatever else..  I also pulled the headliner and will be applying the lizard skin to the underside of the roof.

And that's all done in my spare time   :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have been posting these just for grins. 

My replacement rear bumper had the brackets cut and re-welded at one point, so now it doesn't fit, and I need to find another replacement.  There are some candidates on Craigslist in the local area and the 510 Keeper is checking his stash for me, so I am sure one will turn up sooner or later.  I'm not in a big hurry..

Since the rear bumper was so fubar'd, I figured I'd strip the front one today...

fbump.JPG

My heart kinda sank when I uncovered all this bondo.  (We are looking at the top of the bumper)  The other side had just as much of the stuff..

I started sanding it off and it was about 1/8" to 1/4" thick.  I couldn't believe it..

They used bondo to fill in the bumper guard holes and just spread the shit everywhere!  There were a couple of small dents they filled, but whoever did this was a 1st class Asshat.  I'm actually surprised it held up.  It's not made to go on that thick.  I take pleasure knowing how much work it must have been to sand all that bondo.

fbump1.JPG

Not the best pic, but all that filler was basically not needed at all.  At least this bumper can be saved.  I was kind of half-expecting to run into an iron-on denim patch in here :)

I started the "Fucker" thing with Datrod a while back, and it picked up steam..

No worries on the bumper.  I'm not in danger of needing one anytime soon :(

Mark is your nic name Fucker, i hear it alot, but still unsure i want to start calling you that ?

Bad influences on Ratsun

Just got back from Vegas, and have not looked for a bumper yet but it is on my list of things to do